Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello, rear radar :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, for S&G I checked my 3 out with a Bluetooth signal meter and have the locations of the 4 Bluetooth radios. Two in the B pillars (one each side) down about a foot or so from the camera, one in the center console near the cup holders, and one in the center of the back bumper of course. Nothing in the front.

View attachment 281683 View attachment 281682

We'll that appears to confirm it's not a radar....

So that just leaves the mystery of the second piece of Bosch radar firmware that started to be dropped with AP 2.5

poirot moustache.jpg

We'll that appears to confirm it's not a radar....

Maybe we should rename the thread: "Goodby, rear radar ;-("

Side note, I guess you're happy now BigD0g, but I am still doubtful that even high speed Level 3 will work on the German Autobahn, without a rear radar. And IMO even merging into a highway would need a rear facing radar, to get the speeds of the approaching cars and trucks right. But maybe this can be done with the cameras as well...

Reactions: daktari
Maybe we should rename the thread: "Goodby, rear radar ;-("

Side note, I guess you're happy now BigD0g, but I am still doubtful that even high speed Level 3 will work on the German Autobahn, without a rear radar. And IMO even merging into a highway would need a rear facing radar, to get the speeds of the approaching cars and trucks right. But maybe this can be done with the cameras as well...

Oh, I think rear radar is needed, I also think front corner radars are needed, but clearly I don’t know anything

And IMO even merging into a highway would need a rear facing radar, to get the speeds of the approaching cars and trucks right. But maybe this can be done with the cameras as well...

My (possibly too simple view), if the amount of road surface between you and another car is constant or increasing and sufficient, you are ok to merge. Quantitative distance and speed are needed for the decreasing case, but even then, rough approximations are sufficient. Like with a backup camera, perspective gives a decent estimate of range.

For a running merge go as fast as the car you are merging behind and verify you are not trying to merge into another vehicle.
If this is a merge from a stop, I'm not sure radar would have the resolution needed to pick out a gap in oncoming traffic, and it would be pointed non-optimally (esp if there is a concrete barrier).

Reactions: strangecosmos
I would believe one needs a rear radar for safe autonomous lane changes in EAP. What reliable range would the repeater cams have for judging the speed of a faster car? 80-130 km/h difference equals almost 14 m/s.

Could the delay to EAP also be due to them trying to solve it without the radar, or an internal conflict on what to do with the AP2 owners?

US centric numbers: 60 MPH is 88 ft/sec, with a 60 Hz camera rate that is 1.5 ft per frame. Typically, if a vehicle does not also have flashing lights, you an not going to see that high of a closure rate. Perceptive dictates the position of the vehicle in the camera field of view, like the lines in a backup camera screen. Can also glean information based on rate of size change, but that is more dependent on vehicle type/ edge detection/ aspect to target.

If radar were needed, it would likely take one for each side to reduce shadowing from a following vehicle. The further out you want the radar to see, the lower the return strength you need to act on (return strength falls off to the fourth power). That increases the chance of registering noise (or a multipath return) as a vehicle/ object of interest.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
US centric numbers: 60 MPH is 88 ft/sec, with a 60 Hz camera rate that is 1.5 ft per frame. Typically, if a vehicle does not also have flashing lights, you an not going to see that high of a closure rate. Perceptive dictates the position of the vehicle in the camera field of view, like the lines in a backup camera screen. Can also glean information based on rate of size change, but that is more dependent on vehicle type/ edge detection/ aspect to target.

If radar were needed, it would likely take one for each side to reduce shadowing from a following vehicle. The further out you want the radar to see, the lower the return strength you need to act on (return strength falls off to the fourth power). That increases the chance of registering noise (or a multipath return) as a vehicle/ object of interest.

Completely agreed, especially with the latter point. Rear radar like blind spot radar is notoriously ghosty because it can bounce off stationary objects (which increases the distance), or bounce off moving objects which results in shadowing and combining, which can add or subtract both distance and speed.

I'm not convinced that corner radars make merging clearly easier compared to a camera pointed in the right direction. The camera is still going to have to provide at least a distance estimate (if not a speed estimate as well) to determine whether it's correlating the visual observation with the correct radar signature. Furthermore, around curves, radar readings are already problematic in traditional radar based blind spot monitors — I frequently get blind spot falses in my Audi for cars that are 2 lanes over, especially when the road curves.

Reactions: mongo
Ok, for S&G I checked my 3 out with a Bluetooth signal meter and have the locations of the 4 Bluetooth radios. Two in the B pillars (one each side) down about a foot or so from the camera, one in the center console near the cup holders, and one in the center of the back bumper of course. Also will note, nothing detected in the front portion of the car (front bumper/front trunk area)

so your saying i should start fancy parking so that i can approch my car from its butt.

...for the phonekey, of course.

Random "why have it on the rear bumper?" thought: Any reason to have BLE connect to superchargers? High accuracy localization for the drive in eatery plaza?

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Triangulation with the B pillar points? Doesn't seem like it's just for coverage since I'm inside my house right now with the Model 3 out in the driveway and still have connection to all 4 radios. If I go to the far corner of my house on the second floor opposite of where the driveway is I still have connection to 3 radios. They have some range.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Triangulation with the B pillar points? Doesn't seem like it's just for coverage since I'm inside my house right now with the Model 3 out in the driveway and still have connection to all 4 radios. If I go to the far corner of my house on the second floor opposite of where the driveway is I still have connection to 3 radios. They have some range.

With that kind of range having multiple may be a necessity to get any sort of idea where the phone is. They could also be using diffetential time of flight from the phone to the receivers for location (that may be overkill though).

Future use: BLE communication with the tunnel skateboard?
I’m not going to look this up, but early in the FSD discussion car to car communications was considered critical. What is the device to device range? In traffic or in a group of AP 2.5 cars, would platooning be easier if the cars could exchange metadata. Can the neural network be extended by tying the cars together locally? Avoiding cell networks seems much lower latency and cost, but limited to very close range.

@lunitiks good find on the ble antenna.

Now that you mention it. Its located in the exact place I would expect a standard rear RF smart fob antenna to be fitted.

20/20 hindsight most manufactures will use two radar units on the outboard edges of the rear body, to ensure as little blindspot as posible.