Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello community,

I'm new to the world of tesla and new to the forum.

So I took the plunge and sold my bmw i8 after only 12 months of ownership and depreciation of £45,000 (ouch).

It all happened as a result of test driving the p100d model S which just made every other experience i have having driving other sports cars feel a little insignificant. The i8 litterally felt like a good cart after the P100D.

SO have finally ordered my model X after changing my mind from the model S 5 times. Both are incredible vehicle, but the 6 seat option of the model X just made sense for us.

One of the other key reasons why I have chosen to go with tesla other than the benefits if a sustainable future for our children and huge petrol savings is the community. Every experience i had meeting people at supercharger has been so pleasant and what a diverse customer base tesla have :) looking forward to speaking to and getting meet more likeminded individuals on here.

The experience of choosing my model X at tesla Chiswick was also very impressive, I felt like the whole showroom was booked up for me.

In the space for 24 hours, I have managed to refer all 3 of my brothers into tesla. And we will all collect on the same day :) I'm afraid we will be called the tesla brothers :-(

Thanks to referring my brothers I have earned the 22" onyx turbine Alloy wheel in black :) and as a result I am selling a brand new set of 4 20" silver slipstream alloys with tyres for £3500. Please get in touch if you are interested?

Welcome to the family. I'm also a soon to be Model X owner with a June delivery :)
I don't see that as a bad thing, but as a Tesla owner and investor, I may be biased in my opinion on this subject. :)

Congrats on you new car and welcome to the community!
Thank you very much. The next 3 months are going to be agonising! Been watching too many model x you tube videos!

Congratulations! This reminds me: a little more than three years ago I was in my local Miami hand car wash with my P85D. The car ahead of mine was a brand new i8. I had never actually seen ne before then. The i8 owner and I began a conversation, following which I took him for a ride and drive in my S. When we returned to the car wash he asked where the nearest Tesla 'dealer' was. At the time it was in Dania Beach, about an hour away. The i8 owner called me later in the day, saying he'd just taken delivery of a new S almost identical to mine. he sold his i8 privately IIRC. From time to time I see him, although he now is driving an SP100D and has an X also.

Maybe we should be thankful that BMW made such a good looking technology demonstrator. They do have the history, I once owned a Z1 in France. It too looked great but was not actually such a wonderful car. I did end out buying a few BMW's after that.

So, I seriously wonder how deeply Model 3 will affect the BMW 3-Series. Moreover I wonder what the new Roadster effect will be. We do have a fascinating five years coming up, don't we?

Yes I watched this a few days ago, made me chuckle.

If I'm totally honest, I loved the i8. The sound is semi fake. I think they somehow enhanced the actually sound the little engine made, But it didn't bother me, it's sounded real to me, and gave me an emotional connection each time I switched to sport mode. The only downside was I knew the sound of the i8 from outside the car wasn't as loud as I would have hoped considering what the car looked like.

I loved every second I had with the i8 UNTIL I drove the Tesla model S p100d for the first time.

The 0-60 on the model S 75D is actually very similar to the i8, but the drive and feel of the tesla was just more enjoyable.

I loved the Instant Torque on the tesla. There was the slightest bit of lag on the i8 (something I only noticed after I drove the tesla for the first time).

I still maintain the i8 is on of the best sports cars in the market to buy on finance as they offer interest free credit and the monthly payments were significantly less than a porsche 911 which has a sticker price of around £25,000 less. It also made you feel special.

But I obviously prefer the tesla.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Congratulations! This reminds me: a little more than three years ago I was in my local Miami hand car wash with my P85D. The car ahead of mine was a brand new i8. I had never actually seen ne before then. The i8 owner and I began a conversation, following which I took him for a ride and drive in my S. When we returned to the car wash he asked where the nearest Tesla 'dealer' was. At the time it was in Dania Beach, about an hour away. The i8 owner called me later in the day, saying he'd just taken delivery of a new S almost identical to mine. he sold his i8 privately IIRC. From time to time I see him, although he now is driving an SP100D and has an X also.

Maybe we should be thankful that BMW made such a good looking technology demonstrator. They do have the history, I once owned a Z1 in France. It too looked great but was not actually such a wonderful car. I did end out buying a few BMW's after that.

So, I seriously wonder how deeply Model 3 will affect the BMW 3-Series. Moreover I wonder what the new Roadster effect will be. We do have a fascinating five years coming up, don't we?

Hi JB

Totally understand why he switched. The tesla is simply more fun to drive in my opinion. But you also get so much more from tesla, I love the fact that the car gets better with time/updates .

The electric only range of the i8 was dreadful at a real world rand of 15 miles.

Plus I'm in love with auto pilot!!

Yes the next few years will be very exciting!! Nothing drives innovation like healthy competition.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Hey welcome to the family! Nice of you to bring along several other family members too. :) Didn't take me long to fall in love with the Model S my husband came home and told me ordered so understand how you might have felt and why you have gone back and forth on which car to settle on. I think you'll like not having to go to the gas station (or should I say petrol station?). So what did the rest of the family order?

I wonder if your depreciation on the i8 had anything to do with the company considering killing it along with the i3. Read that in today's news: BMW is considering killing the i3 and i8 programs ahead of new generation of EVs

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam_Alset
Hey welcome to the family! Nice of you to bring along several other family members too. :) Didn't take me long to fall in love with the Model S my husband came home and told me ordered so understand how you might have felt and why you have gone back and forth on which car to settle on. I think you'll like not having to go to the gas station (or should I say petrol station?). So what did the rest of the family order?

I wonder if your depreciation on the i8 had anything to do with the company considering killing it along with the i3. Read that in today's news: BMW is considering killing the i3 and i8 programs ahead of new generation of EVs
Thank you for the kind welcome.
So we have gone for 3 model X's and a model S, but the brother who ordered the model S has been driving a range rover for the last 3 years so I think he's just a little bored of SUV's.

I think the i8'S have depreciated because the 0% finance on offer on new i8's is marginally more expensive than a used one on 9% finance so it's make sense to buy a new one. So a 2 year old i8 at £60,000 costs only slightly less per month than a brand new i8.

Reactions: SMAlset
White 75D, black interior, and stock 20"s. probably will get aftermarket wheels or refer enough to get the free 22"s.

already named my X "Ghost" in honor of Game of Thrones haha
Very Nice, my brother has gone for the X 75D with 6 seats white on white and he's calling it a storm trooper.

I've gone for x 75D black with white interior with 22" alloys. I'm yet to give her a name, but i may go with kit. I've still got 3 months to decide

Reactions: SMAlset
Congratulations! We opted for the MX75-7 but wish we had gone w/ the P100D or least the 100D. Very happy for you and welcome to the family!
Very Nice, I would have loved the p100d, but that would mean we would need to consolidate to one car. I'm planning to order a model S in the winter after we have secured the mortgage for our new house.