Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello Tesla - set my cruise follow distance to 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Listening to all the whining from reviewers about how you can't control as much with buttons in the model 3, it made me realize how simple it would be to do almost everything with voice. And again, why couldn't Tesla do that with any of their vehicles? Anything that can be set by computer can be set by voice control and computer. What other things would you like to see sat that way?

Reactions: BlueRocket
Mmm, I would take simple voice commands for temperature and fan speed. Oh- side mirror folding. I have to get into that menu daily while also juggling the reverse camera backing out of my garage. Why we couldn't have a mirror fold button is a mystery.

Aaand if I am dreaming, an Alexa like interface would be awesome. Could ask for the weather on my route or at my destination, local news and traffic reports, etc.

Mmm, I would take simple voice commands for temperature and fan speed. Oh- side mirror folding. I have to get into that menu daily while also juggling the reverse camera backing out of my garage. Why we couldn't have a mirror fold button is a mystery.

Aaand if I am dreaming, an Alexa like interface would be awesome. Could ask for the weather on my route or at my destination, local news and traffic reports, etc.

Yea, that would be cool, but I'd probably have nightmares that it would misunderstand my hick accent. I say "Tesla turn on fan", and it replies "Ok, turning onto freeway" !!! :eek:

I was thinking those were too easy to access but on reflection I'm with you . Love the weather, etc idea.

As to the mirrors, doesn’t the middle button (between the mirror selector buttons on the door) do that? Had an embarrassing moment with roadside assistance once after having parked outside in freezing rain. After breaking them free the mirrors wouldn't respond. I kept looking at the screen a long time until I finally realized she meant an actual button. I use it all the time now!

Reactions: Jan Fiala and FlyF4
I'd be happy if the Tesla voice system accurately picked up what contact I wanted to call. It really isn't that good of a voice recognition system compared to other cars or Siri...
While nearly all my use of the voice recognition system is for navigation, I've been very impressed with how well my sometimes not-so-clearly-enunciated words are interpreted by the system. I'll have to try to call a few people and see how well that goes.

As to the mirrors, doesn’t the middle button (between the mirror selector buttons on the door) do that?

Ah, didn’t catch this thread was in the S forum since the OP was talking about setting the follow distance which is on a stalk in the S but in a menu on the 3. You are of course correct. But since my 3 doesn’t have a mirror fold button (its in the menu on the screen), I would still like them to add it. :)

Listening to all the whining from reviewers about how you can't control as much with buttons in the model 3, it made me realize how simple it would be to do almost everything with voice. And again, why couldn't Tesla do that with any of their vehicles? Anything that can be set by computer can be set by voice control and computer. What other things would you like to see sat that way?
The Tesla's can do A LOT, there is MUCH untapped potential, however TSLA is obviously not focused on any of this at this time; pumping out as many cars as they can and infrastructure is priority.

I'd like to be able to adjust ride height by voice command. Digging through menus while driving is downright dangerous at times.
Can you link it to a steering wheel button? I'd prefer that for ride height settings. Voice command, well, isn't always reliable...

Perhaps AMZN could add an extension to Alexa, enabling it our cars.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp
“Hello Tesla, set my cruise control follow distance to 4” takes about 800 times longer than just quickly turning a knob. That is ridiculous.

You may be right, it was though just an example! Besides, I think you would find a lot of people would prefer the verbal commands anyway. After all, the mouse is much slower than the keyboard, but everybody uses it.

Last edited:
The Tesla's can do A LOT, there is MUCH untapped potential, however TSLA is obviously not focused on any of this at this time; pumping out as many cars as they can and infrastructure is priority.

Can you link it to a steering wheel button? I'd prefer that for ride height settings. Voice command, well, isn't always reliable...

Perhaps AMZN could add an extension to Alexa, enabling it our cars.

Are you saying that the software developers are on the production line pumping out Model 3?

I think the software developer resources in Tesla are too small for what Musk is promising. It appears most of the resources are dedicated to autopilot not the infotainment system. Tesla's infotainment is far behind most lux car systems. Too bad, because they could be the leaders for a long time.

Set the right side thumb wheel to do that (click for on/off HVAC and scroll for temp up down)

My daily driver is the 3, so that isn’t an option as of yet. On my S I had that wheel set for pano, it was great.

I think the challenge with the 3 is that there isn’t a 2nd screen (or even a 2nd button on the wheel to access a menu). On the S the scroll wheel functions display on the IC when you use them. It seems like that might be more awkward with the center display. Not to mention the human factors problem if they do map the cruise set speed to the right wheel, but then let you also map other stuff. Then I might think I had left it set to fan speed and start quickly rolling down to turn down the fan only to discover it had been left on cruise set speed and now I am traveling 20mph slower than I was. (Spoken from experience as I would sometimes forget I had switched the wheel function on the S and would start scrolling to open the pano, and turn the fan down, etc)

Are you saying that the software developers are on the production line pumping out Model 3?

I think the software developer resources in Tesla are too small for what Musk is promising. It appears most of the resources are dedicated to autopilot not the infotainment system. Tesla's infotainment is far behind most lux car systems. Too bad, because they could be the leaders for a long time.
Are you saying they hire software developers to work on the production line?