Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My name is Robert, but most folks call me Bobby. I'm a very unusual person when it comes to cars:

At the age of 44, I have never ever owned an automobile. I have never even tried to purchase an automobile. In fact, I have never even tried to get a drivers license. My primary mode of transportation is my feet. I walk most places. When I need to go further, I use a bike. For grocery shopping I usually catch a ride with my significant other's mother or I get a cab. But I only go grocery shopping twice a month, so this is really the most that, on a routine basis that I even ride in a car. I usually take a bus to most places that I can't go to by bike or feet.

So, why would a person like me come to this website? 1st, I am wowed by the technology, and the hope this represents for the future in terms of the environment. I don't have any children of my own, but I do have 39 nieces and nephews, and I hope they will live in a decent climate and a better world. And, who knows, maybe one day I will buy a Gen III, and break my 44 year streak of never owning a car.

Anyway, I am very fascinated by Tesla and am glad that they stuck with this to get the Model S to the market. I'll try to be productive in my discussions with the rest of you.

Well, the environmental impact was one consideration. But I also never got a car because I have always lived in urban places, and generally speaking, there is much less need to drive. Rather walk and ride a bike than spend extra on car, parking, and insurance. So, good for the environment, and if I want to go to the Saints game, or see a play or a movie, or go out to eat I have a bit extra income. And in New Orleans going out to eat beats the living hell out of owning a car.

I do live in Savannah, GA now, but born raised and lived in New Orleans until Katrina. My sig other is a registered nurse, and half the hospitals in New Orleans shut down after Katrina so we had to leave so he could get a job.

You are not unnusual. When I lived in London, most of the people I knew did not have a car or even drive. I had a motorbike though (no congestion charge!). I live in a new town now with a young family and a car is a necessity.

However unfortunately, although I have been following Tesla since 2006, I have never owned a car less than 7 years old, and so will unlikely be able to ever get a model S (especially if Elon maintains a floor for the residuals!). But sitting outside in an English country town a few weeks ago, I dreamt of a day when the traffic would run silent through the streets rather than listen to the din they make now. Tesla and electric cars are a compelling narrative for all of us.