Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help…should I even attempt this road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m driving from Los Angeles CA to Brian Head UT and I’ve already mapped the trip with all the necessary supercharger stops. Since I have the old AP1, I cannot plan my return trip on my touchscreen unless I’m physically located at the starting point. I plan on taking an alternate route back and wanted to know if I can make it on a single charge.

I have a ’16 MX P90D on 20’s AP1.
Battery when charged to 100%=200-210 (Tesla miles)

My return trip:
-Brian Head UT 84719
-Red Canyon Slot Aka Peek a boo trailhead, Kanab, UT 84741 (stopping 2-3 hrs)
then continuing to the nearest Supercharger:
-1091 Bluff St, St. George, UT 84770
Once back on the main interstate, the supercharging won’t be an issue.

Google Maps says the trip will take 3hrs / 146 miles. Keep in mind, this is going to be pretty much off the grid on back roads with no EV charging available. I was thinking the first part of the trip will be at a downhill grade so I can gain some miles with regen.

Will it be cutting it too close to risk? Or should I play it safe, take the ICE car and pay $$$$$$$ for gas.
I used to be able to plan the trip miles on tesla.com/trips but all of the listed vehicles have 270+ mile range and nothing for the older AP1 models.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 4.28.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 4.28.50 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 213
If the first part of the trip is downhill, that does you no good. Can't regen into a charged battery.
Regardless, there is no way I would consider cutting it that close.

Assuming your ICE gets 20 MPG (not great), that 15 gallons is maybe $75? Not really $$$$$$$....

I’m driving from Los Angeles CA to Brian Head UT and I’ve already mapped the trip with all the necessary supercharger stops. Since I have the old AP1, I cannot plan my return trip on my touchscreen unless I’m physically located at the starting point. I plan on taking an alternate route back and wanted to know if I can make it on a single charge.

I have a ’16 MX P90D on 20’s AP1.
Battery when charged to 100%=200-210 (Tesla miles)

My return trip:
-Brian Head UT 84719
-Red Canyon Slot Aka Peek a boo trailhead, Kanab, UT 84741 (stopping 2-3 hrs)
then continuing to the nearest Supercharger:
-1091 Bluff St, St. George, UT 84770
Once back on the main interstate, the supercharging won’t be an issue.

Google Maps says the trip will take 3hrs / 146 miles. Keep in mind, this is going to be pretty much off the grid on back roads with no EV charging available. I was thinking the first part of the trip will be at a downhill grade so I can gain some miles with regen.

Will it be cutting it too close to risk? Or should I play it safe, take the ICE car and pay $$$$$$$ for gas.
I used to be able to plan the trip miles on tesla.com/trips but all of the listed vehicles have 270+ mile range and nothing for the older AP1 models.

I rarely use the MCU to plan trips. If I'm going somewhere far, I'll do it on ABRP:

Don't do it. I drove regularly around there and the elevation change kills the car. I routinely use 1200wh/mile going up the mountains. I can't even get from Page to Brian Head without stopping off in Cedar for a slow charge up (it maxes at 54kw at the Cedar SC.) Going back down is easier and I can make it to Page with a 20% buffer.

Sorry, I thought you were going from St George, my bad. In that case, leave with a full battery and you'll be good. You will use a bunch climbing up over the summit at the beginning so will be able to regain some down into Duck Creek. Worst case you could use a destination charger in Kanab, but I don't think you'd need to.

- Use abetterrouteplanner to map your trip and more accurately enter your car's max range, added weight, approximate speeds, and approximate wH usage based on your driving history.

- Use plugshare to see if there are any chargers along your route. I've seen some people offering 14-50 outlets, and random chademo/CCS chargers in obscure places using plugshare.

Why can't you plan your return trip? Enter your destination and let it calculate. Then add your home address and edit your trip to make your home address the last location in the trip plan (slide it below your destination).

I do it all the time, and unless I'm missing something, you should be able to do it too.

Also, I regularly drive from 100% to less than 5% and can go ~200 miles at highway speeds on flat terrain. So 146 miles sounds doable, but I've never really driven through mountains.

Plugshare will help find other stations than Tesla but you need the CCS adapter from Harumio. I've wanted to go thru the Escalante range and Monument Valley for awhile but that whole area is still one of the bigger holes for off-freeway travelers. As mentioned in this thread Kayenta needs it's station and Montana in the Fort Peck Res is totally off the network. Tweet Elon and maybe enough of us can sway the planners.