Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! 17" LCD became unresponsive during highway drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving on the highway this AM, 110-120 kph, -11 Celcius, which isn't unsual at all in Canada. The central screen became totally unresponsive. The internet radio kept going and I could control it partially through the buttons on the wheel (play/pause/volume). Same thing for heating. The map kept updating. However, I couldn't access any function from the central screen. I tried stopping the car, and it didn't work.

Needless to say it could have been a real problem had I needed to defrost my windows, etc.

I contacted the service center. Have yet to hear from them.

Anyone has experienced this? In my opinion it's a major failure... as defrosting windows is NOT optionnal in winter... and being unable to access the driving parameters menu is just as important.

Yes. The wheel buttons for the 17" screen, the top buttons for the dash screen.

I have this saved in my phone because I always forget which is which

Tesla does need to put a note in the cabin somewhere since this is such a basic part of owning the car. Not everyone including myself will read and remember every bit of the manual. It's only because I love hanging out here I know half the stuff I do about the car.

You thought wrong. Users reboot the dash by pressing both top bottons, just like you reboot the center screen by pressing both scroll wheels. I've never heard of the dash rebooting occasionally on its own.
It reboots occasionally when you start up your car. I see it sometimes when I enter the car and it takes a bit longer than usual for me to put it into gear and go. Thanks on the advice. I guess my tesla representative left that important detail out when delivering my car.

I've had the main screen become unresponsive to touch once. The car sat for a week while I was on a trip. After returning, when I got in, the screen displayed and updated just fine, but would not accept touch input. Did a reboot of the main screen only (press and hold scroll wheels) and it was working after that. Not sure what caused it, and it hasn't happened since.

No2DinosaurFuel: That sounds more like waking from sleep versus rebooting. I see that every once in a while too.

Users reboot the dash by pressing both top bottons, just like you reboot the center screen by pressing both scroll wheels
Yes. Tesla should clearly state that to every new owner.

It is no big deal to reboot one or both screens while driving. Does not effect vehicle control systems. I've probably had to do it about a dozen times in 56K miles of driving.

Also I forgot to mention this morning:

While the screen was unresponsive, both USB outlets (front) were dead (couldn't charge phone). However, the two rear USB outlets (behind the console; new model S) did actually work.

I am 100% sure of that. I tried it with different wires and a perfectly working phone.

Any idea why? Anybody noticed that along with an unresponsive screen?

As I mentionned earlier, after being parked for five hours, both the screen and the front USB outlets came back to life. I didn't perform any reboot. Weird or expected?

Thanks for sharing tips and experience.

I parked the car for 5h at work, and came back on my lunch time. It worked again.

Didn't do any of the reboot procedures described above.

I guess it reboots by itself after a while?

I had the same a week ago multiple times with my X P100D - rebooted a few times but problem repeated. Rebooted both the centre screen and the driver's screen and all back to normal. I informed the SC and they suggest trying 2 back-to-back reboots usually does the trick. No further problems for the past week. :)

The dashboard and console processors do not reboot when the car is started. If there is a delay when entering the car, the processors are waking from sleep mode - which is not the same as a reboot, since the software tries to recover its status from before the processors went to sleep.

Rebooting takes longer.

Unfortunately, getting a frozen display does happen, and sometimes the system will get excessively slow. Rebooting the console processor usually corrects the problem - and if there's a problem on the dashboard display, rebooting it can also help.

It can be a little unsettling to reboot the displays while the car is in motion - especially the dashboard, when you lose the speed display. The car's critical operations are handled by other processors - and driving isn't impacted by rebooting the display processors, though you will temporarily lose air conditioning, turn signal sounds, ...