Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! 90D or P90D its $20k more ! worth it ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85 and just had a 90D loaner the other day. They're pretty equivalent. I'm pretty sure they have the same published 0-60 times, in fact. The 90D, however, handles better because it's all wheel drive. I can definitely feel a difference there.

As for the $20k, that's a very personal decision. What will feel better to you, getting the additional acceleration or saving the money (and the money on insurance, too)? $20k put in Tesla stock today may very well buy you a Model 3 in a couple of years.

I wrestled with his decision every day. I continue to do so. I am the type who hates to regret not having gone all the way though. And personally, I'm accustomed to fairly aggressive driving and I wanted all the power, for passing, possible. It's totally not worth it and it's definitely a gift to yourself (beyond the car itself) but I couldn't stand to live and regret it. Had the car been for my wife, it would have been a 90D. I somehow doubt that anyone who goes with P90D, ever really regrets spending the 20k for it. Haha. Now get ludicrous.

We choose the 90D for 3 reasons. Most important - better range. Remember that the extra acceleration you will almost never use will come with a hit in range. #2 - the wife will never floor it, and the 90D is plenty fast. With the instant torque, it will feel faster than a sub 4 second ICE. #3 - $20,000 saved could be used for the kid's college fund.

IMHO the 90D is plenty powerful enough. It's crazy by itself. I would go and test drive a Model S 90D. The cars are not that much different.
@aesculus is a very reasonable person. I'm clearly not. And I felt it was a good deal for supercar speed. But supercar people are also not reasonable. And by reasonable, I sometimes mean practical. Haha. But it's a slippery slope... Being practical, that is. How practical is any of this? I often ask this of myself... about having another child, a bigger home, being closer to the beach, more vacations... it really is a personal thing and I will continue to hem and haw about if 90D or P90D is right for me until it's actually delivered. I just know myself, leave no room for doubt (if I can).

I also say this as an economist, FYI. Personal pleasures are derived personally. I think about personal decision price points all day and and I'm only suggesting it's not mathematically logical and comes down to how you find it "worth" it in your own life. It's often "easy" to place value on 20k because it's a larger number and more easy to "value". Like those waffling between black and obsidian black... Does that nominal amount increase your utility at all? Most people just go with obsidian since it's not very much money as a percentage of the car. But how much does the to color make you feel about your purchase? End diatribe. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: Diavel
100% worth it in my opinion. I punch it in my new X a few times a day... Also, the joy on your friends/families faces makes it priceless... Its crazy money regardless... Life is short. Remember what you were doing 10 years ago? Well, we only have about three or four of those decades (at most) left if we are lucky... Do it!!

If you can afford it of course :)

Fyi: I had a Model S without it and this is so much better :)

• Love
Reactions: Cloc
I have an S P85 and an X 90D. The S has more go. No question about it. The thing about the X is that you're more upright, you're higher, and just not in a sporty position. I don't feel the desire to gun it (from time to time) like I do with the S. Also, like @rdalcanto, I selected for range above all. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 90D. That said, if you really want to launch in an SUV, or are getting rid of the S, the P might be a worthwhile upgrade just to keep the "go" option.

Take into account taxes on the extra 20k. That is about 21800 roughly depending on where you live.

With the exception of Michaelw's reasoning, there isn't much more other than bragging rights, status and prestige. You will get more on trade-in though so you will recoup those costs later.

Will you be selling your P85? Do you have other cars that have that power? What are your driving habits? Can you use that money elsewhere amidst equally s important? Most importantly, how will this affect you financially?

These are the questions I would ask before I decide. I have an S85, ordered a model x 75d as a gift for my wife (at least that's what I say) and used to have a Dodge viper and ride motorcycles so acceleration is something I miss. But in getting that back on my model 3s.

FYI- if you lease a bmw i3, total cost over 30 months is roughly 9 grand. That's what I did. Now I have a fun little gocart driving electric car that goes faster than a bmw m3 from 0-30. Hah...
Most efficient electric car as it is so light (carbon fiber body) and with the short wheelbase, handles like it's on rails.

If I were you, I would use that extra 20k and buy a toy. A nice fast toy. 90d is plenty fast. Just my 0.02 cents. If you do, I am owed a ride in it.

Reactions: Zroiron
Guys

I have ordered a 90D,, but I am debating if I should upgrade tot he P90D,,,,, but it is $20k more after all ! making it
a $130k car ! ,,,, but then 110k isn't cheap either.

I am driving a P85 right now,,, will a 90D be a step down ?

I never had a Tesla before and am blown away by the speed of the 90D. Maybe you get used to it and need more, but I love it and can't imagine more. Since I grew up in Detroit I of course am an expert on muscle cars :)

I have a P90D X. If I had it to do over, I would get a 90D. I am a speed junky and love the get up and go, but it's literally $20,000 for one second. It's only going to be noticeable to you and, in hindsight, there are other things I would have spent the money on. No regrets, just some advice from a P90D driver.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and Diavel
Thank you guys ! for all the feedbacks ,,, and I agree with most of the reasoning here ! $20K is a lot of $ regardless of how much money we make right ? but then I do tend to think like MichaelW,,, I mean life is short. regret is miserable. but then I am trying to reason with my logical inner self which seems to be a struggle all the time ( I am sure many will agree here especially when you are financially capable of doing either one of the P or non-P version ( I think many of us here on the board is capable of doing the P , but like me , we are all reasoning with ourselves ! lol ) I actually have sold all my gas supercars and loved the Tesla so much because it is fast and yet is a day to day car. so with a P , you basically get PORSCHE Turbo 4s speed, at a bargain & autopilot. why is life so hard ! lol !

First world problems. I did order Ludi and @Diavel made me think about what I could do with the 30k and what I could drive with that extra money. (Seriously, I went over and checked out i3s)

I already own a BMW M3 and instead of dealing with the idea of parting with my beloved childhood dream car; I'm convinced if I keep it as my backup fun-on-windy-roads car (for now), I will eventfully realize that the P90DL can fully replace it. Weaning in a sense. I really don't want to own multiple vehicles and just want the one thing I drive to be awesome. 90D is probably enough but I need to overtake that punk on the freeway who won't let me over and make sure it's an easy pass. My reflexes and eyesight are great now and maybe when I'm older and care less about these thrills, maybe then I can pass on the top rung of options. But I figure at least I will know for sure and not have any regrets what it is I'm foregoing.

Life really is tough. Good luck with your struggles.

I waffled on this one too. I went for the extra range of the 90D as I plan on having bikes hanging off the back on long road trips. I don't go anywhere without a bicycle! :)

That and after test driving the X P90DL and an S 90D back to back I was not left wanting for more quickness in the S. Also, Bjørn's recent night driving on twisty roads in an X 90D helped me decide the 90D should be plenty fun.

I got a fully loaded P90D L

Here are some questions you need to answer to determine which one to get:
1. Do you want super car speed on a SUV? This is very important for me
2. Do you get depressed when people are saying your car is not top of the line, it does not have any performance upgrade etc?
3. Last question is the most important one: Do you buy BMW M3 instead of 3 series? Do you buy Mecedez benz with AMG package? If you like performance, go with P90D. If you just want to drive around and have the longest range, go with 90D.

Thanks.
ModelXBoy

• Love
Reactions: Cloc