Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: A/C not working properly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine A/C compressor stop blowing cool air right after I picked up my car. I left the car in about half hour. When I came back, the A/C started working again. At least, I can feel that he is blowing the cool air now.

But, I still think my A/C has some problem though. Currently here in Toronto, outside temperature is about 30 C with sunny sky. With Auto mode, I have to set my A/C below 18 C to get me comfortable in the car. Otherwise I still feel warm in the car..

For those in a bit hot place in North America, what's the temperature setting that you comfortable with?

My A/C briefly stopped working the other day. Temp outside was near 100 degrees and interior was probably near 140. When I got in, the A/C was on auto but I turned it down to Lo. After driving a mile or two, I stopped and the air begin to blow warm. After I took off, it began to work, but quit again on the next stop. I then turned the A/C off and switched to manual, and everything Began to work. It acted like a high presssure switch was kicking off the compressor. Since then, I’ve driven it several hundred miles on auto with no problems.

Call fremont everytime it happens, dont wait one minute call. They can look in the car an see it. Call every time something goes wrong, never wait. I had big error message Friday, they logged in, read error code file, down loaded a fic patch immediately into my car. Fixed . Software engineering guys are fabulously great about fixing a sw glitch.

Call fremont everytime it happens, dont wait one minute call. They can look in the car an see it. Call every time something goes wrong, never wait. I had big error message Friday, they logged in, read error code file, down loaded a fic patch immediately into my car. Fixed . Software engineering guys are fabulously great about fixing a sw glitch.

I have called but waited online for a about 30mins no one answer the call. I gave up.

I will try again tomorrow.

I had an A/C problem early on where the grille shutters were not opening when requested. This shut off all the air going to the A/C condenser which kicked the compressor off. The logs showed the compressor issue. In addition, when parked with the A/C on, the fan noise from the condenser fan was extremely loud and the shutters were closed. This was an intermittent problem, sometimes working sometimes not. It was a known issue where some of the shutter assemblies would stick. The SC changed the shutter assembly and the A/C has been perfect ever since. I don't know if this is your issue but if you are having a cooling problem, check that the shutters are in fact open.

I can explain my situation with my M3's A/C, maybe it will help you.

When I took delivery yesterday, We drove about 50km. The first 45km we had the car set to "LO" and fan at 4-5.
The A/C was weak and not cool enough, and changing the temperature didn't help.

By the 45km mark, we felt a tremble in the car for a few seconds, I did not know what it was but suddenly the A/C starts becoming cooler and cooler. When we get home the car is icy cold inside.
I think at some point we set everything to minimum, lowest temperature and strongest fan, then it happened.

I think this is like a newborn needs his first cry, your new M3 needs a maximum blast to kick start the A/C.

I can explain my situation with my M3's A/C, maybe it will help you.

When I took delivery yesterday, We drove about 50km. The first 45km we had the car set to "LO" and fan at 4-5.
The A/C was weak and not cool enough, and changing the temperature didn't help.

By the 45km mark, we felt a tremble in the car for a few seconds, I did not know what it was but suddenly the A/C starts becoming cooler and cooler. When we get home the car is icy cold inside.
I think at some point we set everything to minimum, lowest temperature and strongest fan, then it happened.

I think this is like a newborn needs his first cry, your new M3 needs a maximum blast to kick start the A/C.

Good, that s may be my case.

I had a similar issue. The A/C would kick on and work fine for a short while. But over the course of a drive, the air would get progressively warmer.

Service replaced two sensors in the A/C unit and it's been working flawlessly ever since.

Yup. I just had this happen today. My wife took the 3 to work and called me saying the A/C had quit. She had to get in to work so I checked the interior temps via the remote app and sure enough, temp was 95 deg and I could not get it to cool. Called Tesla and within a few mins the service rep who answered had pulled the logs and said "yes, I see some flags for A/C. I think this is a bug that's been fixed in latest firmware". If it's ok, I'll push that out to the car and you'll get a message to update. Give us a call if that doesn't fix it.
Updated (2018.24.7), no more A/C problem. Also now have Summon and WiFi.
Pretty sweet service call.

Last edited:
Reactions: ℬête Noire

Unfortunately my blower went out today. Neither heat nor ac comes on. I tried calling the number, and Aater holding for 1hr, she said everything looked fine and put in a message to my service center. Total bummer that I need to take time off work again, especially when I've only owned the car (awd) for 10days!

I had an A/C problem early on where the grille shutters were not opening when requested. This shut off all the air going to the A/C condenser which kicked the compressor off. The logs showed the compressor issue. In addition, when parked with the A/C on, the fan noise from the condenser fan was extremely loud and the shutters were closed. This was an intermittent problem, sometimes working sometimes not. It was a known issue where some of the shutter assemblies would stick. The SC changed the shutter assembly and the A/C has been perfect ever since. I don't know if this is your issue but if you are having a cooling problem, check that the shutters are in fact open.

How do I go about checking this?