Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, A-Pillar Defect Found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't tweet or have a active twitter account now and it can be strange to start. Going to give them a day to see what they think before escalating it more. The trouble here is while there is maybe only 2 inch of crack I can see, there is probably way more below that I cannot. This looks like it will be a big tear down job.

@Snowstorm @JonMc is a user here on the forum you don't need a Twitter account as you should be able to PM directly through the forum. (He has helped a number of people with issues here.)

I don't tweet or have a active twitter account now and it can be strange to start. Going to give them a day to see what they think before escalating it more. The trouble here is while there is maybe only 2 inch of crack I can see, there is probably way more below that I cannot. This looks like it will be a big tear down job.

I wouldn't go to the extent of tweeting Mr. Musk unless other more direct avenues don't work. The 2" still could be structural, even if there isn't more below. I can't tell for sure, but based on the photo the dimensions all look reasonable, so agree with the others it was likely in the stamping process. Otherwise it wouldn't have fit together.

I would think that Tesla would not want that car out in the world. If something does happen it would be much worse for them.

Reactions: davidc18
Thanks for the contact and suggestions. I'll leave Joe Mac and Elon out of it for now and try to work something out with the local contacts. They probably have bigger fish to fry and hopefully they have structure their org well so these issues are properly handled without their attention. The folks I am in touch with are making an earnest effort to get back to me and it has only just arrived at the body shop tonight. Hopefully, they'll realize the extend of the damage and agree that this needs to be re-built and build me a new model S. It is upsetting to wait so long only to have this happen. I can still see the car from the app, parked at the body shop place, kind of like having a baby moved to the ICU after birth.

Last edited:
hopefully they have structure their org well so these issues are probably handled without their attention
.I would like to think that's the case. However, I also would have thought something like this would have been caught before the car rolled out of the factory. This isn't a paint defect that went unnoticed. Someone in QC needs to be retrained at an absolute minimum.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18 and croman
.I would like to think that's the case. However, I also would have thought something like this would have been caught before the car rolled out of the factory. This isn't a paint defect that went unnoticed. Someone in QC needs to be retrained at an absolute minimum.
Yea, something like that is not only plain to see but easy to miss at the same time. Back in 2013 there was two weeks worth of Nissan LEAFs that were recalled and crushed because the factory missed several critical welds in the front structure of the car. That was an expensive mistake...

• Funny
Reactions: Gaston and davidc18
Tesla is being proactive in following up with me and the regional service manager is aware of what's happening. I am in contact with Kevin, the Mississauga ON service manager now. He thinks this is highly unusual and is awaiting an assessment from the body shop to look at the extend of the defect and proposed fix. I hope they can replace the part easily, but I do fear that it would be a major rebuilt. If that is the case, then we'll need to look at alternatives other than waiting for months to rebuild it as I continue to dish out lease payments.

One thing for me is how far does the crack extend. Even though it is only visible for maybe 2" above the hood-line, the crack appears to widen as it goes down.

Crack.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very unusual - esp how the paint looks inside the crack - maybe they tried to cover it up before pickup.

I would not pickup the car from their possession until they either offer a re-build or a new vehicle. Covering it up with a body shop will not solve the underlying issue. Considering how both your front doors are misaligned as well (I've seen his car), that may have something to do with something being off? I would mention that to the service team as well.

I don''t think they tried to cover it up, most likely no one noticed the damaged part and it went through the paint shop broken. This is definitely a QC issue that needs to be addressed before the model 3 hits mass market.

I definitely don't want to accept, we'll just do a patch weld and cover it up with some paint, type of fix. The A pillar is part of the entire structure and who knows what also be broken on the parts that we cannot see. Let me find out what their assessment is and I will push for a new build if it is as bad as I fear.

I picked up my S90D last Friday and was super happy about it, there was some trim mis-alignment on delivery but nothing serious. Today, I was showing off the car to my brother in-law and noticed something very wrong with the A-Pillar. On the passenger side where it touches the front of the windshield, the aluminium was actually cracked and there is a gaping hole to the inside! There is no way that I would have actually caused this and you can see that they painted the crack part as well. I have emailed my delivery person and am super sad about this as I don't know how they can actually replace that part without ripping apart the car. This cracked part is obviously unacceptable but I don't want them to cause more issues ripping it apart to replace it. What should I do?

Assuming the tear in the photo is in structural aluminum and not in a cosmetic cover (sorry, it is hard to be sure just from the photos), then I think even a certified body shop is in a poor position to evaluate that. That looks like a structural defect for an engineer to examine. Which supports the comments above that this is a serious defect. Car should be replaced if it is as bad as it seems to be. I am no expert on aluminum structures, but I would guess the car could fail to protect you when it otherwise should.

Also, if neither you nor anyone in the delivery center noticed this during the delivery process -- and it seems obvious from the photos so it is hard to imagine that no one saw it -- then I wonder if a small defect is growing rapidly from whatever use the car has had in the few days you have had it. In which case, that demonstrates the hazard and suggests it should not be driven. I hope I am over-reacting and that it is minor, but wow, does not look it....Good luck!

This car is not fit for driving and also, makes me worried as what if the split was under other panels and you couldn't see it. This would break like a cracker in an accident. I would personally submit this to NHTSA for investigation whether it is a common problem with the cars. I don't want to sound crazy, but honestly, this is beyond acceptable at the 5th year of making this car.

Obviously agree completely. It's so funny to listen to multiple service centers talk about how QC is top notch leading into the Model 3 release.

At the end of the day, something like this would never be missed by a customer, but not all customers would understand how major of an issue it is. Many would even live with it.

For a lot of the other minor issues that we all notice with our vehicles on a regular basis, a lot of people will just ignore them and/or never see them. This gives Tesla hope of success on a global scale even with possibly sub par Model 3 manufacturing.

Reactions: gabeincal
The good thing here is that they are not insisting that I broke it in the first 3 days of ownership, which should be obvious given the G-sensor records they have, and the fact that it is painted on the crack as well. They are so far are in contact with me to work through the investigation process. I will get in touch with them in about 2 hours to see if there is an update. I am hoping their fix is not just to patch the part I can see with a filler and paint it over.

The good thing here is that they are not insisting that I broke it in the first 3 days of ownership, which should be obvious given the G-sensor records they have, and the fact that it is painted on the crack as well. They are so far are in contact with me to work through the investigation process. I will get in touch with them in about 2 hours to see if there is an update. I am hoping their fix is not just to patch the part I can see with a filler and paint it over.

I strongly recommend NOT accepting anything other than a repurchase and rebuild. IMO this looks like a very serious safety defect.