Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, A-Pillar Defect Found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this doesn't prove non-existant QC at Tesla, I don't know what does. This should give pause to every single Tesla customer. I would certainly reconsider my order if I saw this thread, and rightfully so. For Tesla to even suggest having this repaired by a body shop on a brand new delivery is shameful. OP should have received a personal apology from Elon Musk, a suspension of all lease payments, and a top-of-the-line loaner vehicle until Tesla builds him a new car.

I think you need to pump the breaks just a bit here... Then again, I've been wanting to say that to you about a lot of issues for quite a long time so... There... :) :p

Jeff

Reactions: Joe F
I agree. If he wasn't leasing the vehicle then there would be a significant diminished value claim accompanying the repair debate.

That said, I wonder what happens if Tesla gives the OP a new vehicle and takes this one back. Is it repaired and moved back into the sales stream as a CPO (maybe after some use as a loaner?) Does the downstream CPO buyer ever know that they are buying the "A-pillar" car?

OP - I'm thinking we need you to post the VIN when they take the car back....

I think that's a great idea.

The OP should consider posting the VIN number to help a buyer identify "the A-pillar" car if it ever shows up as a CPO car.

I will be grateful if they can help offset some of the cost delta if there is any, but it has to be fair for all involved, and the most important part is to get a non-defective vehicle this time around.

What?!? You are at zero fault, they are at 100% in all of this. Pretty clear to me what the only possible fair distribution of that cost delta is : 0% for you and 100% for them. Insane that you seem to be even contemplating anything but being made completely whole?!?

Reactions: smac
I looked at my X and unless the X and the S cars are built differently, which they may be, that A pillar has a FRP trim piece covering the structural A pillar. If so then that is nothing but a cracked painted trim panel and nothing to fix.

What?!? You are at zero fault, they are at 100% in all of this. Pretty clear to me what the only possible fair distribution of that cost delta is : 0% for you and 100% for them. Insane that you seem to be even contemplating anything but being made completely whole?!?

There is a mis-understanding. I fully expect Tesla to cover the cost off the same original config. I am trying to add the 3rd row child seat since I now have a new child on the way since 6 months ago when I first ordered, so there would naturally be a price increase due to that options. Maybe they can do swap that for no ventilated seat and/or SC. I'll am trying to find a car with that setup before finalizing on that and any other config changes. Will keep you guys posted.

My original car is still at the body shop, going to call them today to see what is going to become of it.

... and this is what happens when the customer behaves reasonably, and the manufacturer also behaves correctly and positively.
Everyone sees the error was made, but the right thing was done, and there is goodwill aplenty.

I hope the right people at Tesla are reading this thread.

Yes I agree. My experience with Tesla is the same and top notch.

But I'm still worried about the QC issues this brings up and would like to know what happened and to feel more at ease if this is just a one time issue and not hiding in many builds especially the quarter end ones. Mine is a quarter end rush too.

... and this is what happens when the customer behaves reasonably, and the manufacturer also behaves correctly and positively.
Everyone sees the error was made, but the right thing was done, and there is goodwill aplenty.

I hope the right people at Tesla are reading this thread.

The Tesla service folks has been very helpful and understanding so far. I am in the process of reconfiguring the vehicle now and will be visiting the showroom this weekend to check out some color options for the rebuild (flip flopping between white vs black interior, and cosidering the 3rd row child seat). The question on how the actual lease, ownership and government rebate still has to be worked out, but I am optimistic that Tesla will help with the process.

Still no word on what will become of the original car. My app still shows it at the body shop, draining about 0.5% battery a day.

@Tampaukfan Elon should NEVER have been sleeping on the production line in the first place.

It should have been delegated to a VP (or someone with similar gravitas,) specifically dedicated to quality full time. Whilst the headlines may have grabbed some attention, it clearly hasn't resolved the underlying issues :(

Maybe the QC team were following Elon's example by actually sleeping on the production line?

• Funny
Reactions: croman
The Tesla service folks has been very helpful and understanding so far. I am in the process of reconfiguring the vehicle now and will be visiting the showroom this weekend to check out some color options for the rebuild (flip flopping between white vs black interior, and cosidering the 3rd row child seat). The question on how the actual lease, ownership and government rebate still has to be worked out, but I am optimistic that Tesla will help with the process.

Still no word on what will become of the original car. My app still shows it at the body shop, draining about 0.5% battery a day.
If you have a kid on the way (which it sounds like, since you didn't need 3rd row seats 6 months ago), and you're leasing the car, you won't get much use of the seats. IIRC there's a minimum/maximum weight and height limits. And it's typically for kids aged 4 to 11 (average), you can't put an infant back there. By the time your child will be old enough to sit back there, your lease will be over (or almost over). Save the money.

Also, 3rd row seats are hit or miss. Some people love them, some people hate them. My kids don't really like them, after the novelty wore off. Their friends love the RFSs.

Reactions: croman

hopefully you can take advantage of the price drop/included features that are around now.

I've just placed my request for the new vehicle yesterday and will leave it to Dustin to help work out the logistics of the payment delta and rebuild. The cost structure was different than 6 months ago and just changed again today so I'll see how they can do to help.

My original model S is still sitting at the shop, but I was told that it will be sent back to Fremont for examination/review. Hopefully the production process was well instrumented and they can track what machine / who process this through the stages to make the necessary fixes so this never happens again.

I'll let you guys how the next steps pan out.

I've just placed my request for the new vehicle yesterday and will leave it to Dustin to help work out the logistics of the payment delta and rebuild. The cost structure was different than 6 months ago and just changed again today so I'll see how they can do to help.

My original model S is still sitting at the shop, but I was told that it will be sent back to Fremont for examination/review. Hopefully the production process was well instrumented and they can track what machine / who process this through the stages to make the necessary fixes so this never happens again.

I'll let you guys how the next steps pan out.
Thanks for the update.
Could you also let us know how the process will work, when you have a word from Tesla?
Since the price book and standard features are now changed, I wonder how they can manage the process.
I also requested a rebuilt, but got no response yet.

i would either get a brand new car(they can fix it if they want and try to resell it) or get my $$ back and be done with tesla...a billion dollar company can surely do either i suggest. Elon can use some of his lame money from his stupid space x crap to make a customer happy.

i would either get a brand new car(they can fix it if they want and try to resell it) or get my $$ back and be done with tesla...a billion dollar company can surely do either i suggest. Elon can use some of his lame money from his stupid space x crap to make a customer happy.
Can you paypal me a few dollars?

Surely someone making [tens of? hundreds of?] thousands of dollars can spare just a few!

• Funny
Reactions: iwannam3
This is a problem that should have been caught before painting the car, and at absolute worst case should have been caught in the pre-delivery inspection at the service center. Unfortunately being so beholden to the stockholders that they go into crash production mode at the end of every quarter allows these things to slip through.

Tesla would be much better off if they didn't have to worry about quarterly delivery numbers. Investors have become so short sighted any company with much media attention feels these pressures. Elon has said he wishes Tesla wasn't a public company. Managing SpaceX without this level of scrutiny on the quarterly income makes his job a lot easier.
i cant imagine delivery people not seeing this and saying WTF...and telling home base to take it back and order a new one...i mean on a 70-100k car this is a joke if they dont just build you one asap....and what about if you took a loan out for it and are paying interest on a loan daily yet no car to show??

I'm not sure this repair is as bad as most everyone thinks. The hood and windshield need to be removed, the small area around the crack needs to cut out, a patch can be made out of a new panel (98% wasted) and butted welded in. It should be nearly structurally identical to a new car and you might lose some sound deadening material in the process. The car should be devalued by about half of the cost of the repair.

This is a good picture of the that part of the unibody. Photo Gallery | Car and Driver
dude he paid for a new car not a repaired car