Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP ASAP!! [back at home, issue resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I got home from work this evening and went to plug my 2018 Model 3 in at home. Clicked the button on the charger cord and the charging port only opened halfway, then shut. Then it won't do anything. I tried soft reset, hard reset, reset while pressing the brake, nothing. Then, I got notice that a software update had went through with some new fixes. I didn't read it too close as it didn't interest me. The current software version is 10.2 (2021.4.18) All of my stuff is gone! My driver profiles, homelink (doesn't even display the icon), wifi and bluetooth settings, maps, everything! I took the time to put all that back in and went for a short drive thinking maybe that would help. Then I realized autopilot and summon were reset as well. All my previous settings, etc were gone! Got back home and tried to plug in, still won't open. I tried the app, button on the screen, button on the charger, everything. We are leaving on a 8 day trip in the morning and were planning on taking the Tesla but obviously we now might not be. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!!! A couple of notes to help troubleshoot:

1) Car was parked WED at approx 630AM at work and left there until this evening when I drove home. There were no issues on the way home and all my settings were still there.
2) Car won't connect to wi-fi at all now. I tried our home wi-fi, and my phone hotspot, neither will work with it saying bad password.
3) Finally got the port manually open but pushing the button on the cord doesn't close it so now its stuck open. Buttons on screen and app do nothing. Charging still works as it began to add miles when i plugged in.

QUESTIONS:
1) How do i get it to reset the software and install a different version as I feel the software update it did messed everything up
2) Is there a way to get the port open and closed without pushing and pulling it with my hand? I don't want to damage it in anyway as it appears all our issues are software related.
3) With us leaving on a trip tomorrow, support is obviously closed until Tuesday. Any help Tesla or Roadside assistance can provide tonight? Tried calling and the auto bot just hangs up on me saying to make an appt in the app.
4) What happened to my homelink button at the top? I don't mind resetting it up but its just gone!
5) Does holding both scrolls and the brake button for ~ 30 seconds reset everything?

PLEASE HELP US! I can't believe this happened hours before we are going to leave on a trip. It's too late to get a rental car probably and our other EV doesn't have the range we need. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone has a solution or it fixes itself overnight.......:mad:

First thing's first, please try doing the 2 button reset. Hold down both scroll wheels with your foot on the brake until the Tesla logo appears on the screen. This can take a minute or two, so be patient and report back on the result.
Looks like he already tried that.

Not sure if the model 3 has this but could try powering it off and also do a factory reset (which will lose all settings). But chances are it will require a service visit.

Reactions: outdoors
Just did the following:
1) Power off button, waited two minutes and turned back on
2) Pushed both scroll wheels with brake until Tesla logo appeared (took about 45 seconds to see the logo)

Still the same. Another thing i just noticed is it only lets me do scheduled departure charging.....the scheduled charge start time is grayed out now which i always used to use.

Looks like he already tried that.

Not sure if the model 3 has this but could try powering it off and also do a factory reset (which will lose all settings). But chances are it will require a service visit.
Whoops, I missed that. My mistake. Another option is to disconnect 12V system, unplug connector under rear seat to isolate HV battery, let it sit, and then reconnect all.

Reactions: David.85D
There are some similar issues reported in other threads that relate to new releases - some like yours to the 4.18, some earlier versions of 4.x. It sounds like your car got corrupted from the download. Support was needed to re-push the load. One OP posted he was able to get support by calling emergency assistance. I suspect that is same as roadside assistance. Here is what this person posted,

”...I contacted emergency support telephone number. The very helpful guy said:- 1. Power off the vehicle using the screen in the car with the door open then close the door and leave the car for at least 15 minutes. 2. He then downloaded a patch to my car and it sorted it out no problem. I don't know if just turning the car off for 15 minutes works without a download. My version is now 2021.4.18.b9447274f1b4
Try the emergency support telephone number, you can find it on the main screen in the car.”

Note his symptoms were different than yours.

In addition to what @SO16 said, can you call back to Emergency Support and press them again. Or did they say they only can arrange for a tow truck - which basically means you are hosed that way.

I called them and they had me do a scroll reset and 3 minute power off reset. The charge port works again, but I had it working for a few minutes prior to that call before it stopped again. As of right now, it worked again and I have it setup to charge tonight but im worried about our trip it not opening suddenly again. She said the main support is open on Monday and we can try calling then to find out more if the issue persists.

For the possible 12V issue:

1) How do we replace the 12V battery on our own?
2) What other symptoms are connected to 12V going dead?

I called them and they had me do a scroll reset and 3 minute power off reset. The charge port works again, but I had it working for a few minutes prior to that call before it stopped again. As of right now, it worked again and I have it setup to charge tonight but im worried about our trip it not opening suddenly again. She said the main support is open on Monday and we can try calling then to find out more if the issue persists.

For the possible 12V issue:

1) How do we replace the 12V battery on our own?
2) What other symptoms are connected to 12V going dead?

1. Very simple process. In the frunk, remove the cowl cover and you will see the 12V battery on the driver's side with hold-down bracket. The most well known aftermarket option is Ohmmu.

2. Random electronic faults along with specific 12V alerts on the touchscreen in some cases.

Reactions: marcham
1. Very simple process. In the frunk, remove the cowl cover and you will see the 12V battery on the driver's side with hold-down bracket. The most well known aftermarket option is Ohmmu.

2. Random electronic faults along with specific 12V alerts on the touchscreen in some cases.
I would assume a charge port failing to open and close isn't related to the 12V battery but maybe it does power that? With the settings all being reset, I thought maybe software related or maybe I held down the scroll wheels and brake for too long and that factory resets everything? But now you have me worried we will be on the road in the middle of nowhere and the 12V will die and we will be stranded with no cell service. Maybe I can stop in the SC in Denver when we are there and see if they can check it quick to feel a little better for the 2nd half of the trip....fingers crossed. From what Im reading, only Tesla sells that specific battery in the model 3 so you cant just use any 12v from autozone?