Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP ASAP!! [back at home, issue resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would assume a charge port failing to open and close isn't related to the 12V battery but maybe it does power that? With the settings all being reset, I thought maybe software related or maybe I held down the scroll wheels and brake for too long and that factory resets everything? But now you have me worried we will be on the road in the middle of nowhere and the 12V will die and we will be stranded with no cell service. Maybe I can stop in the SC in Denver when we are there and see if they can check it quick to feel a little better for the 2nd half of the trip....fingers crossed. From what Im reading, only Tesla sells that specific battery in the model 3 so you cant just use any 12v from autozone?

The chargeport door actuator runs off the 12V system, so it's certainly possible that the symptoms you're experiencing are related to a 12V battery fault. With the number of issues the vehicle is currently experiencing, I would strongly recommend not going on a long road trip until you can at least have Tesla run remote diagnostics/push the firmware update again. If you're still intent on taking the Model 3, then keep food, water, blankets, etc. in case you don't make it to the Denver service center.

The lady on the phone had stated they ran remote diagnostics and everything looked good on their end. I will be calling Monday the service line to see what they say as well and will be in Denver Monday evening. Since there appears to be three service centers there, hopefully one can take a look for us if issues continue tomorrow and Monday. It might be just having the car sit for 4 days without being plugged in each week, maybe it needs to drive a bit to charge the 12v back up.

First service appt available here on Vegas was scheduled for Monday June 7th..

happened to me two days ago. The support asked me to pull it open with hand, and then schedule a mobile service for repair. Right now mine is not closed fully, has to be taped to close.
Did they say what it was and when is your appt? I know alot of 2018 3s have been having their charge doors fail recently but the software issues with it are weird for me. And then it works and then doesn't.

I think you can use any flooded 51R battery. The one Tesla uses costs $85. Too cheap to be an AGM. I saw my local Sams Club has a flooded 51R on sale for $85, until Mid-June.
IMG_0623.jpeg

Update: As promised, keeping you updated. We made it home yesterday and the issue sort of showed up 2 times at superchargers on the way home yesterday. The door would open a few inches but not all the way. Other than that, no other symptoms have shown up again but we had been charging daily. The tesla service center canceled the mobile service and made another appt a week later at the service center stating they couldn't fix it in the field. The appt is on the 14th, so I have a week to hopefully get by.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin and SO16
I just dropped off the car to Tesla this morning. The same issue happened again at home last night and this morning with the charge door. They said they might need to keep the car for 1-2 days to do different diagnostics and they have no loaners....good thing we have two cars I guess

Reactions: sewing1
After they had the car for 3 days due to a backlog of cars.....got it back. It ended up being a defective charge door which they replaced for free. They did the charge pin bulletin and hood latch as well. No issues with 12v battery they said
When was the 12 Volt battery replaced? Usually you get a message to replace that battery on the 2 year mark. If you are still running the original battery, replace it.

Fred

Mine is a July 2018 build LR RWD. As soon as the border opens up, we're headed North for a long overdue stay with family who live a LONG way from the nearest SC. I will probably replace the battery preemptively or simply bring the new battery along and install it if needed. Cheap insurance.