Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Battery cooling pump will not turn off.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Stewie26

Supporting Member
After driving and then when charging the battery, the cooling pump continues to run. When charging is on, I eventually get this screen message shown in photo. That said, the battery still charges up to 170 miles with a standard charge, but the pump does not turn itself off. Now I need to keep the car plugged in all the time as the continuous running pump runs down the battery. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• Warning screen.jpg
    Warning screen.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Coolant  Pump always on.jpg
    Coolant Pump always on.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: ElectricIAC
After driving and then when charging the battery, the cooling pump continues to run. When charging is on, I eventually get this screen message shown in photo. That said, the battery still charges up to 170 miles with a standard charge, but the pump does not turn itself off. Now I need to keep the car plugged in all the time as the continuous running pump runs down the battery. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I assume you can ‘inhibit ASP’ in service menus under ’control’ to shut it off If you’re in a situation where you cannot charge. But, that’s just a temporary fix until you ‘Uninhibit APS’ and power comes back on.
It looks like your 400v controller maybe going bad according to this thread:

I just replaced my coolant pump a few weeks ago when the original one failed. The error I got was "Low current; pump failure"

As eHorses mentioned, you can go into the Service Diagnostics and inhibit the APS to shut the coolant pump off manually. Or maybe do a few cooldown charges if you have OVMS to get the battery temp low enough that the pump shuts off on its own.

A couple a questions that need to be answered first:
Does your A/C work?
Does the A/C come on when charging?
What is the battery temp? 30c and above the pump will stay on.
Is the coolant level full? I cant see the level in your pic.
Thank you ML for your interest and trouble shooting questions.
I just tried to turn on the AC for the first time since I have owned the car. I have never needed AC before as I live near the beach and only drive the car once in a while and always with the top off. That said, I just tried the AC and it did not feel like cool air was coming out of the vents. I did notice that about a minute after turning on the AC, a slight buzzing sound started to come from under the front hood. I checked and it was not coming from the two cooling fans up there. Not sure if this sound is normal or not when AC is engaged. Right now, the car is fully charged so I can not test AC when car is charging. I will try that in a few days when charging again. I am not sure how to access the proper window on the screen to see what the battery temp is.
When I put my hand on top of the battery, the battery is not hot at all to the touch. If there is a way to get access to the battery temp on the screen, please advise how to access it. I drive this car maybe 100-150 miles a year, so I am not familiar with all the technical details with the screen menu.
Yes, the coolant reservoir shown in the above photo is filled to the top off line that is marked marked on side of plastic container.

With the car on but AC off tap an inactive part of the display screen I just tap a corner that does nothing a quickly 5-6 times, and a code screen comes up. (It’s very similar to the valet screen if you ever use that). The code is 1050. You will then get a menu box screen and one is labeled HVAC, just touch that once. Take a picture. Turn on the AC and take another picture about a minute later. That will show what your compressor is doing, what the static refrigerant pressure is, what the pump speed is and a few other variables. The suspicion is going to be the refrigerant is low. Thankfully these cars use a normal AC system so it’s easy to (although not cheap) to fix.

Reactions: Stewie26
With the car on but AC off tap an inactive part of the display screen I just tap a corner that does nothing a quickly 5-6 times, and a code screen comes up. (It’s very similar to the valet screen if you ever use that). The code is 1050. You will then get a menu box screen and one is labeled HVAC, just touch that once. Take a picture. Turn on the AC and take another picture about a minute later. That will show what your compressor is doing, what the static refrigerant pressure is, what the pump speed is and a few other variables. The suspicion is going to be the refrigerant is low. Thankfully these cars use a normal AC system so it’s easy to (although not cheap) to fix.
Thank you X.l.r.8: for the above post. This morning, when I entered my garage, I was surprised to see the pump had turned off. That said, here in Californial we just have ended a ten day heatwave with very high temps uncommon for this coastal area where I reside. For over a week, the ambient temperatures in my garage has been running between 92 to100F. Just wondering if this is what started the problem. I will drive the car this coming weekend then do the test to check battery temp by tapping on the screen as you stated above. Again, thank you.

EDIT: As mentioned in ML's post above, if pump continues to run when battery temp is above 30C, which converts to 86F, then that makes sense.

Last edited:
Are you charging at 120 or 220 volts?? The AC only cools the battery if you are charging at 220 Volts. Charging at 120 volts you are dependant on the coolant pump and ambient temperature to get the battery temperature low enough for the coolant pump to shut off.

Are you charging at 120 or 220 volts?? The AC only cools the battery if you are charging at 220 Volts. Charging at 120 volts you are dependant on the coolant pump and ambient temperature to get the battery temperature low enough for the coolant pump to shut off.
Hi Retiredeh,
I charged with both 120 and 220. In both cases, the pump continued to run. That said, the pump is now thurning off as the ambient temperature as cooled down now that we are out of the heatwave we were having here last week.

Hi X.l.r.8:
I followed your instructions and they worked great. Here are two photos, first with AC OFF, second with AC ON after about two minutes of waiting. Please advise. Thank you.
AC Off Code 1050.jpg

AC ON Code 1050.jpg

Thanks all for the help. I will take the car in to an auto AC place and have them recharge it to 13 to 15 Bars. Again, thank you.
Tesla Service Center (now relocated to Long Beach) can help. You should be careful in taking your roadster to nonTesla shop. Were you at our SoCal roadster meet up in August?

Attachments

• 3943058E-0929-400E-BFA7-6B213142F2F9.jpeg
    3943058E-0929-400E-BFA7-6B213142F2F9.jpeg
    701.6 KB · Views: 72
Tesla Service Center (now relocated to Long Beach) can help. You should be careful in taking your roadster to nonTesla shop. Were you at our SoCal roadster meet up in August?
I did not make it as we were on vacation. I googled Tesla Service Center in Long Beach and it did not come up. Just showed Torrance and Buena Park locations. Do you know where in Long Beach it is located. The Tesla service center close to me in Torrance does not service the roadsters anymore.