TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help bring Tesla to Texas

Discussion in 'Texas' started by supersnoop, Mar 27, 2014.

1. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Folks,

I serve on the board of an Economic Development Corporation here in Texas, though not in a city that Tesla is considering. I can't offer a rail line. But some of my neighboring cities can, and I'd like to help them out. Are there any Tesla owners in the Central Texas region would would be willing to stage some photos to be included in the proposals being sent to Tesla executives? I'd like to highlight some of the benefits and infrastructure available, with the added subtlety of showing some Tesla's in each frame. I take delivery of my Roadster in the next few days, but I'd rather have some Model S's included.

2. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

supersnoop - Texas is better than the other states, but within Texas I am working to help the San Antonio bid. If you're isupporting San Antonio, PM me. If not, I wish Texas luck, but I wish a little more of it to San Antonio.

3. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

I am in Temple, which, unless you are living in 1910 is not a hub of anything and only really notable for a reputable hospital system and the notorious decision to reject the supercharger plans for want of a steak dinner. I would be happy to help, however I personally am more in support of San Antonio > El Paso. Anywhere in TX would be great, and I bet it would be quite likely IF a special session can be held and Tesla be allowed to sell in the state. That, IMO, is the elephant in the room.

4. teddybear

teddybear New Member

Why would Tesla drop all that money in a state they are not allowed to sell cars.

5. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

For leverage. Texas is one of their larger customers funny enough. If you have a factory worth 5 Billion in the state and yet your cars aren't allowed to be sold the way you want. You may get a little more leverage.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Once you build the factory you lose your leverage though.

7. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

True, though I imagine they are in "dangle the carrot" mode at the moment. Probably part of the rumored secret talks is legislation change if the factory comes to Texas.

8. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Personally, I don't think the dealership regulations are going to play a part in the location of the battery factory. Actually, the laws are more likely to change after they build the factory, rather than as a condition of building the factory. Our elected representatives are more interested in serving their current constituents than "potential" companies.

Tesla's decision will have more to do with the location in relation to the supply chain, manufacturing plants, and assembly locations, along with the availability of a workforce with the necessary skills. I think Texas has all the right ingredients to make a the gigafactory successful.

Any ideas on how to organize a meet-up? While I'm focused on the Austin MSA, a bunch of Tesla's at the capitol would help all parts of Texas.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I have seen little evidence of them trying to serve their current constituents--unless those current constituents give large campaign contributions.

10. adamcb

adamcb Member

Supersnoop,

As a new owner (8 days) of a new P85+ here in Austin, I'd be happy to help however I can. I know central Texas (and the new showroom in Dallas) are huge markets for Tesla and hopefully bring the giga plant to The Lone Star State won't be ENTIRELY dependent on the power of the auto dealer lobby.

Let me know how I can help.

Adam
    Austin, TX