Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! Buy new M3 SR+ Or used LR AWD

WHICH MODEL 3?

• New SR+

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Used LR AWD W/ Acc boost

Votes: 35 79.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Need some advice. Selling my car tomorrow and I’ve decided I want a tesla. Im coming from a mercedes AMG so i do like speed. Um currently in the process of buying a model 3 SR+, just got approved ncung. Now in having second thoughts annd am thinking about purchasing a used M3 LR AWD with acceleration boost from the tesla inventory. Its about a 3-5k more than a new SR+ with about 17-19k mile. What are your thoughts? Should i stick with a new tesla and save 3-5k or get a used LR for the speed & speaker sound, extra range. I know its subjective, but id like to hear your thoughts. Thank you

Reactions: Mr X
I think the value will hold up for longer range and premium interior/sound. For personal use, I like the idea of “future proofing” with longer range, even if you won’t use it on a daily commute. I bought a used 2019 M3 LR AWD and it’s in fantastic shape - I think Tesla owner generally take great care with their cars. And getting it through Tesla made the transfer of everything to me smooth (unlike some posts from people buying third party and not sure how they will Supercharge on the way home).

Ok, so after making my previous post I've come across some new info that seems pretty reputable. Apparently a bunch of new stuff are about to be added to the Model 3's including a redesigned center console, chrome delete as standard, double paned windows, a heat pump, and a power trunk, so this honestly up to you. And apparently this is happening right now, these cars are being shipped to Asia and Europe right now.

source:Tesla is doing a Model 3 refresh and we've seen it - Electrek

I kind of doubted it at first but now pictures are starting to show up on twitter from people who spotted these cars at Fremont.

Considering the horrible depreciation that most AMG Mercedes experience, you are going to be delighted at how little comparable depreciation you will see with your Tesla.

Believe your real decisions should not be between new and used, but between new production Short Range Plus and Long Range AWD.

If it was me, I would buy the Long Range new. Get all the new stuff and be happy for a long time.

In 4-6 years the Long Range will still bring a little more $ than the short range, so your net difference will be relatively little.

When I bought my first Tesla, I kept my beloved Mercedes "just in case". I found the Mercedes just sit in the garage, with me being forced to drive it every once in a while to keep it's battery charged and not let the gasoline get stale.

The driving experience with an AWD LR for a performance guy is superior to the SR+

Considering the horrible depreciation that most AMG Mercedes experience, you are going to be delighted at how little comparable depreciation you will see with your Tesla.

Believe your real decisions should not be between new and used, but between new production Short Range Plus and Long Range AWD.

If it was me, I would buy the Long Range new. Get all the new stuff and be happy for a long time.

In 4-6 years the Long Range will still bring a little more $ than the short range, so your net difference will be relatively little.

When I bought my first Tesla, I kept my beloved Mercedes "just in case". I found the Mercedes just sit in the garage, with me being forced to drive it every once in a while to keep it's battery charged and not let the gasoline get stale.

The driving experience with an AWD LR for a performance guy is superior to the SR+

You’re absolutely correct. The main reason i went for a Tesla was because they depreciate so little. I found a sweet deal on a model 3 LR AWD. Being a car enthusiast, Its hard to not have an engine in a car but The acceleration was phenomenal in the car. It handles so well being that the batterys keep the center of gravity low. Im very pleased

Reactions: chrstna4
If it's actually only $3-5k more then the AWD performance boost is a no brainer. In my city the difference is more like $15k. Depending on the AMG you're coming from the SR+ is plenty of oomph (I used to work and MB and have driven pretty much everything). Unless you had an E63s or something monstrously powerful in the 63 lineup then the SR+ is probably fast enough, at least 0-100. But for so cheap, just go used and get the better model. The SR+ sound system is also lacking since it's essentially the premium sound system with the sub and half the rear sound stage gone. It was the first big thing I had to upgrade in my SR+