Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Buying an Out of State Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some insight from others if possible. I’m hoping to buy a 2015 Model S from a private seller in the near future. The most important options to me are the AP1 and FUSC (I will regularly use supercharging and plan to keep this car for a long time). I’ve only found a couple of vehicles anywhere that fit the bill.

One is in California (I’m from out of state).

Texted the seller. He states:

1. Car is still for sale, but some other potential buyers ahead of me. Car may be sold within the next several days

2. A hurdle for him has been getting the title in his name (had a bank loan)

3. Seller says the vehicle is now paid off and the “title is now clear” and in his name, but he does not yet have the title in hand (being sent by DMV through USPS)

4. Seller says he has the payoff letter from the bank

5. Seller says the DMV said to go ahead with the sale as they have verified the payoff…and they (the DMV) are sending out the title

Before getting into those issues, I replied back to make sure the car has FUSC that is transferrable to the new owner. Seller replied:

1. Said he was the second owner

2. Has always supercharged for free

3. Not sure if the FUSC transfers to the next owner

I texted that his online Tesla account should answer this…and say something like “this Model S vehicle comes with FUSC for the life of the vehicle and will transfer to the next buyer when sold”.

Seller texted…

1. that he hasn’t registered the MS on the Tesla online account (I guess it is still in the 1st owner’s name?)

2. he wishes he had registered, as there are features tied to the account that he can’t access

3. said that life can be a real pain at times because of not having that account

I replied…OK

Hoping others may give opinions about this. My concerns are:

1. Why did he not register online. Will that affect me registering? Do I have to find original owner? Did he not register because he somehow might lose his FUSC?

2. How important is having a Tesla online account? If I don’t, what issues? (will I lose the ability to unlock car with phone, etc?).

3. Does anyone buy a car with only a lien release letter from the loaning bank coupled with the DMV saying “go ahead with the sale because we have verified the payoff”? Is this legit in CA?

4. Are any features at risk because of the Tesla online account issue (like AP1, continuing to get software updates, battery/motor warranty, FUSC, etc.)?

Thanks for any info.

If the loan is paid off CA DMV will send the pink slip to the owner. He will have to fill out and sign off to the new owner. You then take this to your DMV for transfer and pay your taxes if any.

In the eye of government it's just a car. Having a Tesla account isn't necessary. Having the car transferred to your name is a little of a pain in the ass.

I've bought and sold many cars out of state.

Are you flying to pickup and inspect?
Are you shipping sight unseen?

There are escrow companies for the money transfer but I've never used them. Send the owner the money and the car ships with the title.

powaking
It's one of the few ludicrous 85's available from a private seller. Didn't see any p85dl's on ev-cpo yesterday.

whitex
He is the 2nd owner, but I don't know how long ago he bought it. Just started texting last night.

I assume the first owner was an individual...and therefore a private party sale.

I don't think he could have gotten it as a CPO from Tesla because he doesn't mention any extra warranty/etc. Also, I think free supercharging wouldn't be possible for him (he says he has FUSC, but doesn't know if it will transfer). I could.

ddawson
He says a couple of buyers are on hold...and he hasn't said if he will let me get it on Monday...but if he does, I will fly there with a cashier's check to see/inspect it...and then hopefully, drive it home.

Ask him if he can access the car via the mobile app.

I can't imagine any Tesla owner not having access to the app.

If he can access the car with the app, he's lying to you and has a TESLA account.

I agree, too many red flags and sketchy answers.

P85DLs are extremely rare.

Also, what's the VIN?

If it passed through the Tesla Used program in the last year or so, it likely won't have transferable supercharging.

Reactions: whitex
I'm trying to call the guy later to ask him about the app. Because he happens to have other people who want the MS, but they haven't pulled the trigger either...sounds extra fishy. I imagine that I won't hear back from him much longer as I keep asking questions.

General statement regarding FUSC, are the following statements true?

1. The MS's from around 2014 to very early 2017 had FUSC attached to the vehicle
2. For those early MS vehicles, the FUSC stays attached to the vehicle unless
a. The car becomes a salvaged/rebuilt title vehicle and Tesla disables the supercharging (and turns off AP1?)
b. The car is traded back to Tesla and they remove the FUSC from the vehicle (although you can still pay for SC)

Are these statements accurate? If so, then at least that a car like his should have FUSC (assuming the title isn't rebuilt and only private party sales)

Wait. You’re considering buying a car from someone that can’t show you a title but has a laser-printer letter from his “bank”? And the car isn’t registered to him with Tesla?

What evidence do you have that’s the real owner?

lots of fake Tesla ads around here. Total scams. hope that’s not the case here.

I'm trying to call the guy later to ask him about the app. Because he happens to have other people who want the MS, but they haven't pulled the trigger either...sounds extra fishy. I imagine that I won't hear back from him much longer as I keep asking questions.

1. The MS's from around 2014 to very early 2017 had FUSC attached to the vehicle
a. The car becomes a salvaged/rebuilt title vehicle and Tesla disables the supercharging (and turns off AP1?)
b. The car is traded back to Tesla and they remove the FUSC from the vehicle (although you can still pay for SC)

Are these statements accurate? If so, then at least that a car like his should have FUSC (assuming the title isn't rebuilt and only private party sales)

My understanding is that FUSC is removed if the car gets sold via a dealer. But It’s sometimes hard for them to know. Tesla will ask when you try to register it if you bought it private party or through a dealer. The paperwork usually shows it as well.

My 2015 85D has free supercharging that runs with the car unless Tesla takes it on a trade. Tesla then removes the free supercharging.

Stop wasting your time if the guy doesn't have the title.

Because he happens to have other people who want the MS, but they haven't pulled the trigger either...sounds extra fishy.
Oldest trick in book to try to motivate a buyer - FOMO.

There are many red flags that go off here. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is. If you feel like you want to go though with it anyways, spend the few hundred for an escrow company and specify clear acceptance criteria (clear title, FUSC transferred, etc). It that few hundred makes the deal too expensive, it isn't that great of a deal to start with.