Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Camera blinded or blocked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. I’ve experienced my share of bugs with the car as well, which sucks cause I just got it in mid June. The phantom breaking is pretty scary, cameras blinded is annoying, Spotify can’t sign me in at any time, my spoiler is falling off too haha. Hope it’s all resolved before warranty is over, but heck I doubt I’ll keep it that long anyways
Got a new M3 in June, and have the Pillar blocked error (both, but R>L) every single day when I drive in the dark. This along with constant phantom braking (every day) caused me to finally bring into to service (car is there now, but ready for pickup). Provided many logged "bug reports" and specific times for both conditions. Was told everything is "operating as designed, no fix necessary". Tesla even charged me for the visit!! Tesla is totally unwilling to own up to issues with these cars. Not sure what else to do, other than consider filing complaints with NHTSA and BBB.

This may be a shot in the dark, but the Bearded Tesla Guy recently noticed that his recently purchased M3 still had a plastic film on the pillar, some sort of cover for transport, I think..... He was having the same sort of 'camera blinded' error message frequently.... He posted on IG about it....

Get this warning quite frequently - in my case, condensation inside the pillar in front of the camera, or on the camera itself, or both. There was another thread about this a while back, many of the posters from Vancouver (we get lots of rain!). Have parked with the affected side in the sun (hard to do here) and had it go away.

I just got it this morning for the first time (I've had my car for 3 weeks). It was already daylight, and it was in suburbia with lots of parked cars around. It went away after about 30 seconds. I got to my destination and looked at the camera, and nothing seemed off.

Put in a service call for this and was denied, basically they said the cameras are not capable of working if it's too dark out. I guess I'll never see fully autonomous driving since apparently it's too dark at night where I live. Can't use FSD beta until I drive to a "brighter" area on my morning commute.

I have the same problem of pilar camera blocked/blinded message in early morning and late afternoon when the sun is rising or setting. Also often when driving into the sun the front camera gives the same message.

I'm wondering how FSD will ever work at this point. I'm on the FSD beta program and often get the message that "FSD is not available" when there is misting rain and sometimes when there is no obvious reason. Amazing progress in about 4 months that I've been a beta tester, however. I've been saved from an accident once when someone cut in front of me on a city street. Brakes were applied automatically a fraction of a second before my foot hit the brake and I felt like I would have hit the car with that slight difference.

It happened to me on our long unlit mammoth mountain trek from San Diego. Occluded and block cameras. I am FSD Beta 2021.44.30.21.

It kept chiming and jumping in and out of autopilot FSD mode but always continued autosteer and never lost control. I have done this drive many times at night and this was the first time it had this frequency of chiming and jumping in and out. Nuisance.

Cameras were a little dirty and hoping better cleaning and an overnight reset will help. Maybe a software adjustment where the chiming goes away and it just stays in autosteer with no lane change functions.

Since I picked up my MYP I have received the door pillar camera blocked or blinded notification when driving at night. Happens pretty much at all times: right side, left side, multiple cameras. Took it in for service last week for this issue and was told it was fixed (not sure how they could verify this before driving at night). I Just got home… it’s not fixed and still doing this. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this to this extend (almost constant) and if so how was it ever resolved?

View attachment 719729
Same for me on my Model 3. 30 days old. Get that error on all the cameras the entire trip at night. Every trip. Tesla says it is normal.

Got a new M3 in June, and have the Pillar blocked error (both, but R>L) every single day when I drive in the dark. This along with constant phantom braking (every day) caused me to finally bring into to service (car is there now, but ready for pickup). Provided many logged "bug reports" and specific times for both conditions. Was told everything is "operating as designed, no fix necessary". Tesla even charged me for the visit!! Tesla is totally unwilling to own up to issues with these cars. Not sure what else to do, other than consider filing complaints with NHTSA and BBB.
I live in france they said the same to me but I didn't take it I don't want yo be charged I think twitter is the way to go a huge push to get it sorted

“I was blinded by the light, set loose..” Apologies to Bruce Springsteen.

I’ve recently experienced the problem when the Sun is low in the sky and perpendicular to the car so it shines directly into the door pillar camera. I’ve used AutoPilot for five years, this Sunlight problem only surfaced in the last 6 months or so.

I got the door pillar camera error while driving from the dealer lot to my home at night. So far, it has happened a number of times, mostly at night, but once during the day. I have had the error on both the drivers side and passenger side door cameras. I am glad it is not isolated to my vehicle and if happening on both door cameras, does not seem to be a loose connection or hardware problem. My assumption is that it must be a software problem and therefore can be fixed with a download vice a service center fix. Also, recieved errors that the autopark was not available, which I relate to the same kind of error. I don't have the autopark option, just basic autodrive. Has anyone experienced both errors?

I got the door pillar camera error while driving from the dealer lot to my home at night.
If this persists, schedule service. There may be an issue with the cameras, faulty installation or some sort of film or condensation on the lens or inside surface of the door pillar glass.

FWIW, I haven’t had glare problems since my car’s cameras were upgraded in March from low-res Autopilot 2.0 (2016 to mid-2017) to newer versions. This allowed Tesla to finally deploy FSD beta to my 2017 Model S.

I had purchased the upgrade during a “need cash NOW” FSD markdown sale in 2018 or 2019.

I've gotten this one almost every morning (I'm heading out well before dawn), sometimes multiple cameras but usually just the right door pillar. In these cases it's just condensation/water on the outside of the car (it's usually coated and it often rains overnight). Goes away after a while, or if I remember to wipe off the camera before heading out.

It’s simply due to *how* dark it is.
Next time you see this message, look left and right. It’ll be dark af.
Yep, I've seen it do that too. Goes away when there's light or another vehicle. But I drive a lot at night in areas without street lights, buildings, other traffic, etc.

Reactions: Skyeforge