Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, can I do solar without "grid-tie"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would push for a "non-export" grid tied solar system. Failing that, you can get a system based on hybrid inverters that inherently cannot export but can use the grid to supply loads when the batteries get low. However, the cost for that kind of system is much higher than a Tesla solar + Powerwall system.

this article has good info about solar saturation. Basically due to old distribution networks

Distributed Energy Resource Saturation – CalCom Energy

Very interesting. First off never had heard of anyone being turned down because there was too much solar in their area unless you were talking a transformer upgrade. I knew from other things I've read over time that utilities like PG&E were not in favor of lots of solar homes as opposed to instead focusing on clean energy at the plant level. So that was a new thing from this thread for me, and to find out it is true and not all that uncommon. Did read the entire CalCom Energy lengthy blog and still don't understand much of the utility grid and interconnection agreement terminology but I'm see that sending your Interconnection Agreement in to your utility for technical review and PTO can involve quite a wide array of circumstances. Had thought they just looked over your line drawings and reviewed the city/county/fire approvals. Can see why sometimes the review can take a while especially for more complicated projects.

I saw the CalCom blog was from 2017 and wonder how the California infrastructure has changed since then. Cool that we still have products working from the 40s, definitely got our money out of them, but with the electricity situation changing so much over the more recent decades can see the dilemma of how to fix. The Metcalf station was put in south San Jose a number of years back now and our area has been in the planning stages for another substation. Lots of growth once the economy improved and developers felt they could risk building out, but like our water source, growth is putting a strain on an already taxed system here in the Bay area. After reading about the backfeeding from solar into the grid can see how it can pose problems for older systems not really designed to handle it. Going all electric, despite environmental issues to do so (I like my natural gas stove btw), sounds like it will only exacerbate the grid issues in the near future if I understand things.

Thanks for the link. Always fun stuff to learn about on here.

Last edited:
So, I had already ordered Tesla solar and two power walls, but after many delays, I have been told by my electric company that I can not do a Grid-tied system. There is "already too much solar on the line" is what I was told. With that in mind, what are my options? My thought is, do a small Solar array, and perhaps add a power wall, and just have the solar charge the three walls during the day, and run off the walls at night. Does this work and is it possible? Tesla hasn't gotten back to me, but I hope this community can arm me with some good ideas before I talk to Tesla. Thanks in advance!

I know this is an old thread but I am in a similar situation and I think I may even be with the same electrical company (MVEA) based on your location and description. Just curious if you were ever able to figure this out and get the Tesla solar system? I have a number of other companies willing to put up a "zero export" system that is still technically tied to the grid but they are about twice as much as Tesla.