Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - can not start or move Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alan

Sep 18, 2010
UK
Help!

My 2008 Roadster will not start. Unfortunately its stuck in a public car park and when I try to start I get the following errors:
VMS : Not receiving BMB version number
DMC FW : Lost VMS comms warning
BMB No data fault can not start
BMB : No data fault
I doubt anyone with Tesla knowledge will be around on a Sunday so does anyone have any ideas what I can try to clear / fix the fault.
Also is there a way of getting the out of park and into neutral so I can tow it?
Thanks in advance
Alan

Sounds like one of your BMB boards has stopped responding.
if it was me, I pull each BMB out (remember the order of the BMBs), check SMT fuses, then plug back in, and watch PCB lights until you see green light blink, and move to the next BMB. But I only only recommend someone with experience doing this.

Any FW mismatch will keep the car from shifting into gear. I had a somewhat similar situation.

You should be able to put the car into tow/push (free roll?) mode from the VMS, once its in that mode you can move it by hand. Its heavy but doable. If the VMS won't let you get into that mode there is a Tesla cable that can be used to override the transmission parking pawl.

wire-harnesses-RST-182-G.png

RST-182-G
Tesla part number: 1013750-02-A
Description: TOOL, HRNSS, PKG PAWL BRAKE RELSE, 2.0

wire-harnesses-RST-182-H.png

RST-182-H
Tesla part number: 1013750-01-A
Description: TOOL, HRNSS, PKG PAWL BRAKE RELSE, 1.5

If I were you I'd use a USB key to pull the logs and see what they say, send me a message and I can take a look if you want. You could also put the VMS into debug mode, that'll get you some additional information about whats going on as well. Its possible the mismatched firmware isn't actually in the BMB. FW mismatches can be coms errors or actually software failures, sometimes they're recoverable without needing the factory tool, gotta figure out whats going on first.

Thanks for the advice. I had to abandon the Roadster as due to drop my daughter at University. Some 5 hours later back with the Roadster and it started with no problems / errors. Drove straight home before it had a chance to complain.

Will see if it starts in the morning (UK time) and then download / post the log files.

Its the first time in 8 years / 75,000 miles it has let me down so if this is a one off I can quickly forgive!

It started again this morning and Tesla have the log files to analyze. Will carry on using hoping it was a one off glitch.

I tried to upload the log file here but the forum throws a security warning.