Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Can't find Slacker High Quality Setting!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I decided to take the plunge yesterday and upgrade to 8.0 given the recent USB fixes. Happy with those. But when I started streaming from Slacker, my ears were assaulted with compressed junk. I figured the high quality setting had been reset. No problem. Went to settings->apps to reset it, but the media player settings icon is missing!!

Can someone tell me how to re-enable the high bitrate setting? Slacker is completely useless to me for music without it.

They removed the ability to turn on the high bitrate setting in 8.0.

Others have said if you ask Tesla for the username/password, log in using a computer and set the parameter there it will affect the car's audio, but I haven't tried it.

They removed the ability to turn on the high bitrate setting in 8.0.

Others have said if you ask Tesla for the username/password, log in using a computer and set the parameter there it will affect the car's audio, but I haven't tried it.

The bitrate is encoded as part of the URL and overrides any account settings. This has been experimented with in the past.

This is extremely unfortunate. The high quality setting was passable, but just barely. The default is completely useless although my wife and daughter say they can't tell the difference (before with 7.1).

OK, the setting is there but you have to use a plus or premium personal account to get to it. I upgraded my personal account to premium but the premium features don't work on the Model S app so I'm going to downgrade to plus. The premium features include "play by song" but this only works the first time on a song. If I ask for the same song again, I a different song unless I wait a day. I also can't skip to any part in the song which is another premium feature.

OK, the setting is there but you have to use a plus or premium personal account to get to it. I upgraded my personal account to premium but the premium features don't work on the Model S app so I'm going to downgrade to plus. The premium features include "play by song" but this only works the first time on a song. If I ask for the same song again, I a different song unless I wait a day. I also can't skip to any part in the song which is another premium feature.

This is standard functionality right? This is how it has always worked for me. If I say "play highlights by kanye west" it will play the song, just under "highlights radio". Then other songs of the genre come on. If in an hour I say "play highlights by kanye west" it will play the station, but not the song specifically. No premium or other account needed for that.

Spotify is coming in 2017, cant wait.

This is standard functionality right? This is how it has always worked for me. If I say "play highlights by kanye west" it will play the song, just under "highlights radio". Then other songs of the genre come on. If in an hour I say "play highlights by kanye west" it will play the station, but not the song specifically. No premium or other account needed for that.

Spotify is coming in 2017, cant wait.

For the tesla based accounts yes. The premium accounts allow you unlimited access to the same song over and over but Slacker says that they disable this on their end for the Tesla app even if you use a premium account and that this is at Tesla's request. I asked what good then does it to sign in with your own account and they said it was for playlists, history, etc. So I downgraded my account to plus as that's the only way it will let me use "high bitrate" now.

Maybe I am being optimistic but I thought they removed it on the cars UI and defaulted to high. I have had my slacker set to high using their web portal since I purchased the vehicle. I don't think the quality of the music has diminished after updating to 8

Maybe I am being optimistic but I thought they removed it on the cars UI and defaulted to high. I have had my slacker set to high using their web portal since I purchased the vehicle. I don't think the quality of the music has diminished after updating to 8
As previously mentioned, the setting on the web portal does not in any way affect the setting in the car.

As to what setting Tesla has chosen if they removed the choice... only someone like Ingineer or wk057 could tell you for certain.

I can get to the setting without using a personal account. I am on v8.0 (2.42.40). I haven't tried changing the setting, but it is checkmarked for high quality / bitrate. In the media app, while listening to Slacker, scroll down to the bottom, there's a login button, when clicked it takes you to a new screen that gives you the option to enter alternate credentials, but there is also the checkbox right there to select high quality / bitrate.

I can get to the setting without using a personal account. I am on v8.0 (2.42.40). I haven't tried changing the setting, but it is checkmarked for high quality / bitrate. In the media app, while listening to Slacker, scroll down to the bottom, there's a login button, when clicked it takes you to a new screen that gives you the option to enter alternate credentials, but there is also the checkbox right there to select high quality / bitrate.

That's interesting. The option to login with my own account is there. When clicked, I'm able to enter credentials, but there is no option on that page to select bitrate. Same version as you.

That's interesting. The option to login with my own account is there. When clicked, I'm able to enter credentials, but there is no option on that page to select bitrate. Same version as you.

He's referring to the bitrate checkmark under the credentials if you select use a personal account. That checkmark doesn't apply if you instead select use Tesla account.

This is the formal response I received from Tesla when using the free Tesla Plus account:

"You should be able to visit www.slacker.com and login with your slacker radio credentials and change the bitrate in the account/general settings. I’ve attached your slacker credentials to the body of the e-mail below."

So according to them, the account setting bitrate through the browser is the way to select the higher bitrate.

Here's screenshots from what I was referring to above...

Attachments

• Slacker Sign In.jpg
    Slacker Sign In.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Slacker High Bitrate.jpg
    Slacker High Bitrate.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 152
Here's screenshots from what I was referring to above...

Right, but that's only for your personal slacker account. If you try to enter your Tesla Plus account login/password, it will fail to login and give you a different button that gives you the option of selecting the free Tesla Slacker account, but the bitrate setting doesn't apply in that case.