TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Help! Can't find Slacker High Quality Setting!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sorka, Nov 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sorka

sorka Active Member

I decided to take the plunge yesterday and upgrade to 8.0 given the recent USB fixes. Happy with those. But when I started streaming from Slacker, my ears were assaulted with compressed junk. I figured the high quality setting had been reset. No problem. Went to settings->apps to reset it, but the media player settings icon is missing!!

Can someone tell me how to re-enable the high bitrate setting? Slacker is completely useless to me for music without it.

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

They removed the ability to turn on the high bitrate setting in 8.0.

Others have said if you ask Tesla for the username/password, log in using a computer and set the parameter there it will affect the car's audio, but I haven't tried it.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

The bitrate is encoded as part of the URL and overrides any account settings. This has been experimented with in the past.

This is extremely unfortunate. The high quality setting was passable, but just barely. The default is completely useless although my wife and daughter say they can't tell the difference (before with 7.1).

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

OK, the setting is there but you have to use a plus or premium personal account to get to it. I upgraded my personal account to premium but the premium features don't work on the Model S app so I'm going to downgrade to plus. The premium features include "play by song" but this only works the first time on a song. If I ask for the same song again, I a different song unless I wait a day. I also can't skip to any part in the song which is another premium feature.

5. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

This is standard functionality right? This is how it has always worked for me. If I say "play highlights by kanye west" it will play the song, just under "highlights radio". Then other songs of the genre come on. If in an hour I say "play highlights by kanye west" it will play the station, but not the song specifically. No premium or other account needed for that.

Spotify is coming in 2017, cant wait.

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

For the tesla based accounts yes. The premium accounts allow you unlimited access to the same song over and over but Slacker says that they disable this on their end for the Tesla app even if you use a premium account and that this is at Tesla's request. I asked what good then does it to sign in with your own account and they said it was for playlists, history, etc. So I downgraded my account to plus as that's the only way it will let me use "high bitrate" now.

7. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Completely Useless?!?

8. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Sounds like Apple tactics. :D

9. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

What's your source? I'm not trying to call bullshit, but I've heard rumors before and they haven't materialized yet. I'm suffering from a bad case of "Spotify in my Tesla" blue balls over here. :eek: Is there really a light at the end of the tunnel?

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  10. zambono

zambono Member

Maybe I am being optimistic but I thought they removed it on the cars UI and defaulted to high. I have had my slacker set to high using their web portal since I purchased the vehicle. I don't think the quality of the music has diminished after updating to 8

11. green1

green1 Active Member

As previously mentioned, the setting on the web portal does not in any way affect the setting in the car.

As to what setting Tesla has chosen if they removed the choice... only someone like Ingineer or wk057 could tell you for certain.

12. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

At least songs load much faster now. . . . And when you skip there's about 1/4 the delay before the next song starts.

13. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

Our Slacker went away with 8.0.

14. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

We all are suffering the same blue balls.
    2017 :)

15. sorka

sorka Active Member

Mine didnt.

16. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

I can get to the setting without using a personal account. I am on v8.0 (2.42.40). I haven't tried changing the setting, but it is checkmarked for high quality / bitrate. In the media app, while listening to Slacker, scroll down to the bottom, there's a login button, when clicked it takes you to a new screen that gives you the option to enter alternate credentials, but there is also the checkbox right there to select high quality / bitrate.

• Informative x 3
  17. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

That's interesting. The option to login with my own account is there. When clicked, I'm able to enter credentials, but there is no option on that page to select bitrate. Same version as you.

18. sorka

sorka Active Member

He's referring to the bitrate checkmark under the credentials if you select use a personal account. That checkmark doesn't apply if you instead select use Tesla account.

This is the formal response I received from Tesla when using the free Tesla Plus account:

"You should be able to visit www.slacker.com and login with your slacker radio credentials and change the bitrate in the account/general settings. I’ve attached your slacker credentials to the body of the e-mail below."

So according to them, the account setting bitrate through the browser is the way to select the higher bitrate.

• Informative x 3
  19. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Here's screenshots from what I was referring to above...

Attached Files:

20. sorka

sorka Active Member

Right, but that's only for your personal slacker account. If you try to enter your Tesla Plus account login/password, it will fail to login and give you a different button that gives you the option of selecting the free Tesla Slacker account, but the bitrate setting doesn't apply in that case.