Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! car won't charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm panicking a bit here. I always keep my car plugged into 120v outlet, using what I assume is the yellow cable that came with the car. As it generally takes care of itself, it is always charged when I get in. Not today.

Haven't used it in a couple weeks or so. Got in it today and it says it is down to 14km range and it won't charge. The charging cable is plugged in and the lights on the charger door area are steady blue. But is says "connect power cable" and the red power plug light is on on the dash. I tried using the other cable arrangement I have, plugged into my dryer outlet and the same thing; blue light on, but it says "connect power cable".

Help. What do I check?

thank you,

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    354.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    337.2 KB · Views: 56
OK - unplug the 110v. Remove any extension cables if you can.

Now open / close the charge door all the way like 15 times (I think 5 is enough but I am OCD).

Then plug in the 110v cable and try to charge and see if that "reboot" procedure helps.

It did for me when my car wouldn't charge after getting an extension cord detected error when my dryer buddy kicked me off my charge.

I have the can Sr, a modern Tesla plug on a 120v cable. A modern Tesla UMC 240 that also can work with 120/240. At Cambridge I have a open EVSE that work with 120/240. All at your service, you drive because I’ve been working 36hrs and I just opened a bottle of xr21.

You may have blown a fuse in the PEM, I have a spare in the back of my car. The fact it’s not showing any voltage it could be that. Also if you have the GFCI plug on the 120v cable it could have died. So unless you chop that off and replace it with a conventional plug you will not know. Let me know, I think I you have my email. Username at icloud

I appreciate the quick replies.

I opened and closed the charging door many time.....nothing.

I have the yellow 120v charging cable. And I have a Tesla brand adapter/charger thing. Sorry, don't know what it is called. Basically it plugs into the car and has a control unit and a bunch of wall plug adapters that connect to it. I found one that is the same as a drier plug, and ran the cable into the house to the drier plug. It light is steady blue and still says to connect power cable". Seems to me that the car doesn't know a power cable is connected no matter which one I use.

Where do I find the PEM fuse? Please tell me I don't have to remove the PEM to find it. Can I pull it and check it?

thank you very much,

Rick

On top of the PEM theres a door, it has 4 tamper resistant star bits, under that there’s a pair of fuses. Each one is 120v. Try unplugging the charger and plug it back in, watch the voltage, does it climb to 120v using the 240v dryer plug, then stop.

Do you know what the voltage should be at the various pins on the yellow charger cable? When it is plugged into the car, but not the wall, the charger door lights are white. When I plug it into the wall they turn blue. So obviously some part of the car knows that the charger is plugged in. I'll take the PEM cover off and check the fuses.

I suggest you place a quick call to Gruber Motor Company and ask to speak with Peter Jr. He might help you trouble shoot.

Worst case, simply disconnect the battery to stop the drain. Gruber Motor Company included this technique in one of their videos.

Mississauga have been excellent. Pull the service disconnect. Did you verify the socket has power that you are charging from. You are welcome to borrow what ever I have to see if anything else works. Also the signal wire needs to be connected. (Purple wire) otherwise it won’t charge.