Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Charger with nema 5-15 adapter blinks red 4 times (Standard Wall Outlet)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at my in-laws and the standard wall charger using a 5-15 adapter (for standard house plug). When I plug it into the wall I get green for 1 second and then 4 red blinks on my charger. The 4 red blinks continue. (not plugged into car) I've tried on all of the plugs in the garage and get the same thing... (I'm aware that the 4 red blinks means ground, but it doing it on every plug in the house confuses me...?)

Any advice?

Last edited:
All the plugs in the garage might all be on the same circuit. That one circuit might have a bad ground or mis-wired at the first plug. This would make all of them bad. It could also be that there is a GFI that is bad and all the outlets behind that are all bad as well as they are chained behind the first one. Take the UMC into the house and try plugs in the kitchen or a bedroom/utility room. My guess if you find ones that work.
I would then go out and buy a heavy duty extension cord, something that is at least 12 gauge, maybe 10 gauge. Then use that heavy duty extension cord to go though a window or the garage door into the house into the working outlet that you found that has a functional ground. I would then offer to pay for an electrician to come out and fix the outlets in the garage and install a 14-50 at the same time.