Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Charging in Spain/Ibiza

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the help and advice guys - I think I'll just sit with the car looking stupid in the carpark in Sta Eularia hoping a friendly EV person comes along and takes pity on me. I'll post and let you all know when I get it sorted. Sat in a Hotel in Gerona et the moment in the most horrendous thunderstorm I have ever been in, Off to Denia in the morning. First stop on the island will be Mercadonna as I saw on the website they have free charging. Probably need a card of some description though (like Tesco's in the UK). Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys - I think I'll just sit with the car looking stupid in the carpark in Sta Eularia hoping a friendly EV person comes along and takes pity on me. I'll post and let you all know when I get it sorted. Sat in a Hotel in Gerona et the moment in the most horrendous thunderstorm I have ever been in, Off to Denia in the morning. First stop on the island will be Mercadonna as I saw on the website they have free charging. Probably need a card of some description though (like Tesco's in the UK). Thanks again.

Ah, the Girona Budget Ibis. Another good SC not far away in a more salubrious context at Caldes de Malavella at Hotel Camiral PGA Catalunya.

I just took a look at electromaps.com and there appear to be charging points all over the island of Ibiza. You have to register on the site to get more info. An interesting resource that I've not stumbled across before.

It appears that the fast chargers want a fob that they will sell to you for €17 and change.

But Type 2 at Mercadona is free :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I know it‘s an old thread. But Google ranks it quite high when searching for info about „Ibiza with a Tesla“. So having done the trip I wanted to provide some info; in case someone was sent here via Google etc.

How to get to Ibiza with a Tesla?
The most common ferries are leaving from Barcelona (usually overnight, approx 8h) and Dénia (approx 2h, daytime). In case you are wondering which ferry to choose: The one leaving from Barcelona is usually cheaper, the one from Dénia is a lot faster; I‘d recommend the second one if you are prone to seasickness or just don‘t like long stays on a ferry.

I have never been on a car ferry, I am nervous (I don‘t speak Spanish etc)
Don‘t worry: First of all you may board the ferry with a Tesla (in case you‘re wondering since electric vehicles are banned from a few ferry services in Norway). Second: Through the Balearic (the ferry company) website you can buy tickets online; you might not be able to enter your cell phone no (as the site is targeted at Spanish users with shorter numbers than most countries). But don‘t worry: You will get your tickets via email and can then call the hotline and request to update your phone number (and thus receive tickets and updates via WhatsApp).

How early do I have to be there? Will I find the port?
Car boarding starts approx 90m before departure time; in Dénia finding the port is easy: Just follow the signs, you can‘t miss it. And it‘s a small town … in case you are early: Just park your car at the Balearia parking deck (lots of signs) right next to the ferry building. There‘s a public charger there. If you have time I would recommend to charge before heading to Ibiza.
The boarding process is easy, staff will tell you where to go with your car. You can then leave it and head up to the upper deck to your seat. I would recommend to disable the alarm; it could go off when there‘s rough sea. I haven‘t heard of any stolen items on a ferry to Ibiza from a car. The car decks are closed off during the trip.
Barcelona: The port‘s a little gibberish of course, but don‘t worry: There are signs; and if you‘re lost just head to the Balearia building, that‘s usually where the ferry leaves.
If you are anxious: Be there 2-3h early and you should be fine.

On Ibiza
(Public) charging infrastructure on Ibiza is quite basic. But you will be able to charge your cars; but: there are no superchargers. On the Balearic Islands only Mallorca has them (and only 4 or something if I remember correctly) … You can find most chargers on Google maps, most of them are close to Ibiza town (In the south of the island). Be prepared that lots of them won‘t work! From my experience the best ones / most reliable ones are the ones close to supermarkets. You will need local Apps; but don’t worry: setting up an account and adding a credit card only takes approx 5-10 minutes.
Ibiza roads are mostly fine, but certain beaches or even restaurants will require you to to drive on dirt roads. You should be fine if you drive slowly. Lots of locals have regular cars and don‘t use 4x4s … but if you‘re super anxious about getting your car dirty and / or dirt roads in general … don‘t take your car to Ibiza.
Hope this helps! Have a great vacation!

Reactions: WannabeOwner