Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Charging with J1772 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there, I am a complete newbie Model X owner- love it to bits already. But can someone please give me the idiot (i am already confused by a gen 2 or 3 wifi etc - I am looking on ebay for the home one but I am guessing that it is too hard to install right? ) guide to charging at home and outside at non tesla charging stations- with the J1772 adaptor - can you do that at home too - if we get a Volvo electric vehicle soon- is there a happy meeting place!

What home charger are you using with your Tesla now, or do you have one? I suspect your question regarding gen2 and gen3 related to WiFi has to do do with Tesla wall chargers. The gen3 model is WiFi enabled, but at this juncture offers little to the end user in terms of added value.

If you get a Tesla wall charger, it will charge your vehicle at a 48 Amp rate. Most Non Tesla chargers will charge at a 40 Amp rate. This will result in slightly longer charging times for the non Tesla. I have not charged my car using the J1772 adapter, as I live close to two Tesla Super Chargers, and have a wall charger at home. I see no issue with using the adapter you propose, and a non Tesla wall charger.

gen2 Tesla wall chargers can be connected to circuits of up to 100A by an electrician to provide charging of up to 80A (only old Model S with dual charger supports this, single charger would be 40A, older Model X with high power charger can charge at 72A, any newer or w/o high power charger Tesla can only charge at 48A).

gen3 Tesla wall chargers can be connected to circuits of up to 60A by an electrician to provide charging of up to 48A on any Tesla (except OG Roadster).

3rd party wall chargers have their own specifications and would likely be J1772, which could charge a Volvo and also charge a Tesla through its J1772 adapter.

gen1 Tesla mobile connectors can be connected to circuits of up to 50A via an outlet to provide charging of up to 40A on any Tesla (except OG Roadster).

gen2 Tesla mobile connectors can be connected to circuits of up to 50A via an outlet to provide charging of up to 32A on any Tesla (except OG Roadster).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I think you were also asking how to use the adapter. One end fits the Tesla, the other end fits the charger, then it just works. Only caveat is that you probably shouldn't unplug the charger during a charge (I'm not certain this is written, and I should imagine there are safeties in place for an event where it may occur even if it is written). The adapter technically makes it possible to easily disconnect during charging, because the Tesla can only lock the adapter in place, so you need to know that you can stop the charge from MCU or app before unplugging. I think J1772 may include a locking mechanism with which you can use your own lock. This would allow you to lock the charger to the adapter and reduce the likelihood of a third party unplugging it during a charge.

If you were to try to use the adapter and find yourself unable to charge, a guide on how to use the given non-tesla charger may be necessary, but that would likely be better found outside of this forum.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
guide to charging at home and outside at non tesla charging stations- with the J1772 adaptor - can you do that at home too - if we get a Volvo electric vehicle soon- is there a happy meeting place!
For being able to charge a Tesla and a non-Tesla with one unit, I do recommend that getting a more general station with a J1772 plug is probably easiest, because the adapter to get that to your Tesla is included with the car and is small and convenient. If you try to go the other way, with a Tesla plug, that is proprietary. There are 3rd party adapter plugs for that, which can convert that to a J1772 to fit the Volvo, but those adapters are about $200 and kind of cumbersome. I wouldn't go that direction.

If I were to recommend a J1772 unit, I would recommend Clipper Creek. They are very well known and reliable.