Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help convince me that the Model 3 is an appropriate car for me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was more referring to how you can order Long Range AWD with 18 or 19" wheels, where as Performance AWD only comes with 20" stock. So ordering the stock cars, comparing LR to Performance of AWD trims, he'll get longer range by going with Long Range version. Of course you're right he could swap the 20" out with his own.

But really though if range is a concern, go with Long Range AWD with 18" wheels, it'll give you the best range.
Agreed but then it's not really comparable to an S4 which comes with summer tires.

If you go EV keep in mind that some adjustment will be needed. For me it was worth it cause no other cars brings a smile to my face. Every update feels like a new car. Stepping on the gas is a blast. Owned BMW and Audi and nothing has come close to this Tesla. If you go ice check out the bimmer over Audi.

The handling of the Performance is nearly identical to the AWD (1cm drop with the same shocks isn't significant). AWD vs. RWD is personal preference. I find that RWD cars have a more balanced feel. You get a lot of vagueness in the steering when driving the AWD hard (just like an Audi). The AWD and Performance definitely have a lot more power though!

This gentleman knows what he’s talking about!

For discerning drivers, there’s a lot more finesse in a RWD Tesla. If you really really must have a Tesla, make sure you also try a “vintage” RWD Model 3 or, better yet, a RWD P85 before you buy anything.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This gentleman knows what he’s talking about!

For discerning drivers, there’s a lot more finesse in a RWD Tesla. If you really really must have a Tesla, make sure you also try a “vintage” RWD Model 3 or, better yet, a RWD P85 before you buy anything.
I love my P85 but it doesn’t hold a candle to a P85D just like the RWD doesn’t to the P3. I love RWD cars in general but the increased traction and ability to put powered down out of corners is unmatched. Plus the straight line performance gap is significant.

I don't think you are ready to handle the uniqueness of the Tesla. You should get an Audi, they definately need the revenue now that the 3 has been crushing their sales.

Yeah and this, look out the homeland is about to get invaded and this car is perfect for europe (just add a freaking tow hitch already)....
Tesla Registers Its Largest Batch of Model 3 VINs Ever! 26,275 Vins in 24 Hours | CleanTechnica

Audi - Progress is never satisfied, and neither are their customers, and to be a Tesla owner you gotta understand and want to be receptive to new ways of doing things - based on your insecurities about changing you should get an Audi and leave advanced technology and travel to Tesla early adopters.

I love that Audi is copying Tesla's actions into a marketing spot - Progress is never satisfied - personifies Tesla to a T.

Also I get the impression Audi is trying to emulate the best commercial ever made -- launching a Tesla into space -- Audi's progress in 81 years... can't even do this.... and Tesla did this in less than a decade...

No kid in our neighborhood points at an Audi and says - OMG - is that an Audi? 3 Model S's later and still happens all the time... especially by the people that matter the most - 6 - 25 year olds. I can tolerate occasional nits, knowing I am driving the best damn car I have ever owned.

Forgot to mention - I have owned several VW's: 1979 Rabbit, 1982 Rabbit, 1984 Jetta, 1999 Passat Wagon 2001.5 Passat Wagon, never, ever again...

Last edited:
I've narrowed my car search to a Model 3 Performance or an Audi S4.
I'll primarily be using the as a commuter in a mild climate,
but the car absolutely must be able to handle occasional 200-300 mile business trips,
occasional family road trips, and exposure to Chicago-level winters.
Both are great cars, and both would be great for the above concerns and needs you have.

One criteria you didn't mentioned is if you can charge at home or at work?
- If so, the Model 3 (LR D or P LR D) is the one to go, take the P if cost is not a decision maker.

How many miles is your daily commute?
If you cannot charge at home, and if there is no (slow) L2 public charger very close to your home or work,
or any Supercharger around (or opening soon) where you live or work,
then an ICE or Hybrid could be simpler for now.

For road trip, almost everywhere you can find a Supercharger without make too much detour.

I drove Audi A4S and Q5S with Audi Co-Pilot before getting a Model 3 LR,
but the second I drove the Tesla Model 3, and in particular used the Enhanced Auto Pilot,
I felt the Kodak instant, and din't wanted to drive any ICE car for ever.

@LionelHutz my guess based on the requirements you lay out that you'd be dissatisfied with an EV right now for your specific requirements. In 10 years the batteries will be larger and the charge rates higher, and the charging infrastructure robust & commonplace, so I'd suggest you wait a bit if you're concerned about these things. The range issues in winter/rain/snow are real, and there's absolutely nothing that can be done about them, really, except have a larger battery - the Model 3 (especially LR RWD) is so darn efficient out of the box that any sort of additional loss (on any of the models) is noticeable. As someone else mentioned, right now it takes a change in attitude on the type of road trip you're going to have, if you are using supercharging - because it definitely takes longer & requires more planning than refueling an ICE vehicle, though with that careful planning you can definitely close the time gap.

@LionelHutz my guess based on the requirements you lay out that you'd be dissatisfied with an EV right now for your specific requirements. In 10 years the batteries will be larger and the charge rates higher, and the charging infrastructure robust & commonplace, so I'd suggest you wait a bit if you're concerned about these things. The range issues in winter/rain/snow are real, and there's absolutely nothing that can be done about them, really, except have a larger battery - the Model 3 (especially LR RWD) is so darn efficient out of the box that any sort of additional loss (on any of the models) is noticeable. As someone else mentioned, right now it takes a change in attitude on the type of road trip you're going to have, if you are using supercharging - because it definitely takes longer & requires more planning than refueling an ICE vehicle, though with that careful planning you can definitely close the time gap.
Will consumers still buy cars in 10 years?

@LionelHutz Have you actually test driven the Tesla?

I definitely think @LionelHutz should test drive the Model 3 before making up his mind. As he is aware, there are several tradeoffs on the Model 3 vs the Audi S4.

He does focus on the perceived downsides of an EV but I think a test drive will help illuminate the upsides. Most Tesla owners come to realize that the tradeoffs are worth it and prefere their EVs to other ICE cars they have driven.

Some upsides of the Model 3 that I want to highlight:

1. Electric torque and no transmission makes it so much faster than the stats on paper. The P3D will out accelerate all cars on the road in most practical situations. There's no downshifting, no revving required, it just goes whenever you want. I would explain it as being able to teleport in traffic. See a spot, you can take it.

2. Autopilot. If you need to make long road trips frequently, this will drastically improve your quality of life. With Autopilot doing a lot of the work you will arrive at your destination feeling more rested. This capability will continue to improve and in 2019 we'll likely see Navigate On Autopilot improve to the point that it is able to drive in most situations on the highway including making lane changes, and taking exits to get you to your destination.

3. Benefits in the winter: You mentioned the reduced range, but there are upsides in the winter as well:
Preheating:
You can preheat your car in your garage. You generally can't do this with an ICE car. You'll never get into a cold car in the winter time because the Tesla App gives you the ability to preheat the car, including activating seat heaters in the Model 3.

Handling: The AWD system and traction control on a Tesla are far superior to a mechanically linked system on an ICE. There are 2 motors that can transfer torque between the axels and respond to traction needs in ~10 milliseconds.

4. Never having to fill up a gas tank. If you've never owned an EV you might be worried about charging but there's a flip side here. Your fuel station can be installed in your garage and you'll only need to spend 5 seconds each day to plug it in and ensure that each morning your "tank" (battery) is full. So you may spend some more time on long road trips charging, but you'll get back alot of time you used to spend driving to gas stations. No more hands smelling like gas after touching the pump handles.

I have a model 3 long ranger with aero wheels, and a set of snow tires also on aero rims. We just went on a 2 week trip from Toronto to Key West. We had to wait once at the supercharger at the airport in Savannah, but I think that was because we were there on the Saturday before Christmas which is a busy travel time.

On the way home, in one day we drove from Columbia SC to Toronto which is 865 miles. I was the only driver. It took 19 hours. This is farther than I could drive in my other vehicle that we used to take, which is a pickup truck. I get tired driving the truck as it's loud and you actually have to steer the damn thing. Auto pilot made this possible. For me, I can travel faster and farther in a day in my model 3. We did the drive with snow tires

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78 and dhrivnak
After owning the Model 3 just a few months all ICE Vehicles look like blackberry phones with physical buttons compared to modern phones.

I see all these ads for fancy cars and I just think why would anyone buy something so archaic.
Even status symbols like Lamborghini, Maserati or even an Audi R8 etc. now have the opposite impression to me.
It doesn't even matter if those cars are faster, more expensive, have higher performance or better reliability than any Tesla.

They are fundamentally built on "Old Technology".

To be honest, it's a really weird feeling I never expected at all. It's not like I feel privileged or elite or something it's just weird living in a separate world.

Don't get me wrong, that there aren't issues with the Model 3, Tesla and EV's in general, but there is just no way I could ever buy another ICE Vehicle ever again.

If EV's were the norm and ICE was being introduced, the list of "issues" and compromises you have to make would be 10x longer. We're just used to them. Like, lugging around 23 gallons of highly volatile fuel !!

I have two Model 3s and still think it’s the best car on the market, even better than a S and X. I’m looking for a 3rd car since my son will take a 3 when he turns 16 and still I’m landing towards another Model 3. Now, that’s out of the way either as a fanboy or not, but if you do long trips I would avoid buying a Tesla. I can settle for 2 long trips a year. If I do more and have to deal with Supercharger time, I would go crazy. Also, imagine your whole family sitting on the curb eating McDonarlds at midnight while the car charges (unless you are okay with them eating in the car).

Two major reasons not to buy a Tesla if you do long trips regularly.
  1. Trips from LA to SF and back added like 1.5 to 2 hours each way due to charging. Even a short stop will turn into a longer one. Since you have to stop to charge, than might as well go to the restroom, or buy food. Usually, I skip all of this as my Prius can make it in 1 tank so only 1 quick 5-10 min stop to the restroom is needed.
  2. Supercharger in LA and SF are mostly full. Even ones slightly outside of town are mostly full due Model 3s. San Clemente supercharger on a normal weekend had 3 Tesla’s in line. Never seen that before. 50% of it was taken up by Model 3s. Model 3 ramped up but supercharger didn’t match it.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
I think its pretty clear that the OP, from his requirements for the car, should buy the Audi (or whatever other ICE car he desires). I agree with @Garlan Garner in that, much better for the OP to get the car that meets his requirements rather than get an EV because... well because.

Right now, in our 2 car household, I have a Model 3P and we just picked up my wifes X3 M40i (wonderful car, in fact given the OPs requirements I would HIGHLY suggest he consider it instead of the S4). There is a reason the "performance smaller SUV" market is so hot right now. If I was OP, for that road trip, I would want to do it in an ICE car currently. CAN do it in a EV, but likely with a change in routine. Add in family and / or kids, and then you are planning your trip around where you charge next, instead of just planning your trip.

Certainly possible, but given OPs specific requirements, the use case is all worst case for current EVs.

I am also NOT A FAN of "convincing" anyone to buy ANYTHING. Examining pro's and cons yes... "convincing" someone, no. NO vehicle is perfect for everyone, Tesla included.

If OP:

1. Regularly needs to go 200-300 mile trips in the cold, that are business trips so will have a defined start time and likely cant be flexed.
2. only has one car

Then the EV is not the right vehicle.

Point is that people are pretty adaptable. For many, just a few changes in strategy can get you where you want to go.

At first I was distraught that I would need to stop at Superchargers 2-3 times on my trips from San Diego to San Francisco to see Grand kids. I used to only need to stop once for gas. I have other cars to choose from, but always take the Tesla...because Tesla...

Autopilot makes the trip so much easier, the Grand kids always want to "ride in the spaceship :) and I know I am doing my part to make the air they will grow up in just a little bit cleaner. Got rid of the Mercedes when I realized how much better traveling in the X was for me.

They are fundamentally built on "Old Technology".
Electric vehicles were invented before internal combustion vehicles :p
I am also NOT A FAN of "convincing" anyone to buy ANYTHING. Examining pro's and cons yes... "convincing" someone, no. NO vehicle is perfect for everyone, Tesla included.
Well said.
If OP:

1. Regularly needs to go 200-300 mile trips in the cold, that are business trips so will have a defined start time and likely cant be flexed.
2. only has one car

Then the EV is not the right vehicle.
I would agree. No reason to push EVs on people. An EV would be more appropriate for 90% of the driving public than OP.

I've narrowed my car search to a Model 3 Performance or an Audi S4. I'll primarily be using the as a commuter in a mild climate, but the car absolutely must be able to handle occasional 200-300 mile business trips, occasional family road trips, and exposure to Chicago-level winters.

The S4 is a known quantity. It will be a terrific four season car and with ICE obviously does not have issues with longer trips. It can't touch the Model 3 for straight-line speed and is a step behind in handling. Total cost of ownership is a near-draw given the local cost of electricity.

There are a lot of things I love about the Model 3, but a few things that really worry me:
  • Charging availability. Most of my longer trips would be along the 5 or 15 corridors in SoCal. I've seen several reports of long lines at California superchargers. I can't plan my business travel around the possibility of being stuck in a line waiting to charge.
  • Cold weather battery performance. There's a good chance the car will see extensive duty in Midwest winters--i.e., -10 to 30 degrees for several months a year. I am reading reports of 30-50% range hits in cold weather. I'm not willing to do things like cycle cabin heating just to get reasonable range out of a $70k car.
  • Cold weather design issues. Again, there seem to be a number of complaints about sticking handles, doors, and chargeports in cold weather. It seems like Tesla may have addressed the chargeport but I don't see how they could do anything about the windows or handles with an OTA update. Having door handles regularly stick closed in the wintertime would be a deal breaker for me.
Now I know the internet is an echo chamber and tends to blow issues way out of proportion. I'd love to hear from people who have similar use cases on whether the Model 3 works as well as a traditional car, or whether I'd be better off waiting for the next generation of EVs. Thanks!
We have a Model 3 and could not be more pleased. We have been to dozens of SuperChargers with no issues. Never had we had to wait. While I have seen a winter hit at near freezing we have been easily been able to cover 250 miles on the interstate in the 30’s. As for cold weather design we have had no issues except for the one day we got 10” of heavy snow. And to be fair no cars were out either.

Electric vehicles were invented before internal combustion vehicles :p

Well said.

I would agree. No reason to push EVs on people. An EV would be more appropriate for 90% of the driving public than OP.

Did you read the title of the thread the OP created?

BTW he said occasional 200-300 mile trips in CA and primarily in a warm climate. Is that one way or round trip.

I doubt Chicago SC are backed up like they are in CA. If he is gonna stay in Chicago for 3 months a year he should arrange for charging at work or where he sleeps. Living off SC or Destination chargers will get old for most folks.

A happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla. A happy Tesla owner keeps their Tesla happy.

I really don’t see the huge mismatch here. But I stand by my comment to stay away from Performance. Might want to run say a “All weather” tire from Nokian or something.

But as stated some adjustments might need to be made.

I don’t know how much impact congested SC in CA have on his exact situation.

Test drive is in order. I think Autopilot on road trips makes up for having to stop for SC.

BTW the LR RWD is no longer a option. A shame really. It was potentially the range king of any Tesla. In ideal weather, driven gently (i.e. not to fast) it could potentially push 400 mile range. Lots of folks claiming lifetime of 200 wh/mi or under.

Probably the most significant thing about EV’s is you need to “plan” long trips, where with ICE you can completely wing it. And you need to plan more carefully in cold climates.

Last edited: