Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - CPO 2015 Model S 70D vs 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am novice to Tesla and want some help in choosing Model S 70D vs 85D? I am planning to get 4 year maintenance plan with it.
Also, can someone shed some light on the repair costs of 2015 Tesla Model S? Looking at Edmunds 5 yr cost to own, it shows roughly $1500 every year on repairs? Is that correct?

Thanks.

If range is of no concern, then really you should be comparing the options that you get for the price. Also, look for a car with less than 50k miles. They come with a 4yr/50k mile warranty which starts the day you drive it off the lot. Another thing to pay attention to is the location of the car since Tesla will not ship used vehicles.

The extra battery capacity of the 85D commands about a $5000 premium. If you're not doing road trips, might as well save your money.

Note that many used cars sold by Teslas have significant dings, scratches, and even body damage, and it's next to impossible to get pictures of each car.

If range is of no concern, then really you should be comparing the options that you get for the price. Also, look for a car with less than 50k miles. They come with a 4yr/50k mile warranty which starts the day you drive it off the lot. Another thing to pay attention to is the location of the car since Tesla will not ship used vehicles.

Is the shipping thing new, I bought mine in June and they offered to ship it free for me to my SC, I choose instead to go to Chicago and pick it up for a fun road trip. I know some of them you may pay 1-2k dollars depending on distance.

In regards to the damage, yes mine had a small dent and some rock chips on the hood (3 year old car there is bound to be a dent and chips) but it was all disclosed by my owner advisor. He had pictures of all the damage including the small scratch in the leather from a child seat in the back seat. My car had about 30 pictures taken of it from every angle and if there was damage a close-up of it.

A piece of advice, Tesla uses Amazon style pricing on their site, it changes daily. The more interest the car gets they raise the price. I had watched mine for a week fluctuate 5k dollars because I was showing people. I just waited until the price dropped back to where I wanted it, by not clicking on it.

Is the shipping thing new, I bought mine in June and they offered to ship it free for me to my SC, I choose instead to go to Chicago and pick it up for a fun road trip. I know some of them you may pay 1-2k dollars depending on distance.

Yup - Tesla no longer ships cars (at least not used ones) not even for a fee, its up to you now to arrange the transport - which may actually be cheaper anyways.

Yup - Tesla no longer ships cars (at least not used ones) not even for a fee, its up to you now to arrange the transport - which may actually be cheaper anyways.

Yes, that’s correct. When you reserve one online, it states that you can pick up locally. Then, when your advisor calls, you learn that you must go pick it up. If you ship. You have still have to physically be there to sign for it before pick up so this means a round trip airfare. None of that is disclosed when you pay the $2,500.

Choice between 70D and 85D depends on few things:
  1. Is it really a 70D or a software locked 75D? Upgrade is $500 if you ever want to unlock, if you were planning to charge the 75D to 90% daily anyways, just figure out the corresponding % to charge on software locked 75 (~ 96%, look through this forum for where people calculated it properly accounting for anti-brick buffer and stuff, I am not very familiar with 70 sw locked batteries). Also, actual 70D batteries were offered relatively briefly, so not many of them around (less than 60's) so not as much data around about their long term degradation.
  2. 85D is faster than 70D or 75D unless it's 2017 or newer (75D's got a boost in performance in 2017)
  3. 85D battery has higher voltage, so supercharges a tid bit faster, also pushes less current through the wires to a bit less wear (both driving and supercharging)
  4. Range on 85D is higher, but not as much as 85:70 ration would suggest (85 batteries have a larger anti-brick buffer, plus they are not really 85KWh, they are 81.5KWh batteries with 77KWh usable, while a 75 battery is actually 75KWh and has 72KWh usable, not sure about 70 numbers for actual 70 or sw locked 70).
  5. HOW MUCH more will it cost you to get an 85D vs 70D?
So in the end it's a price vs. value decision. 85D over 70D of course.

Thank you for all the great info. The 70D is only a consideration because I found the perfect color, finishes and options I was looking for which is hard to do. Price is comparable to the other 85D’s but I would lose some of the important things to me like color, location of car to pick of from/ship, features etc. Also, the 70D I’m looking at has under 8k miles so it seems attractive - almost brand new. Again, I commute 50-70 miles a day and have at home charging. It sounds like it’s really a question about what else do lose with the 70D besides a little power and range?

Last, it won’t cost me more to get the 70D, I just can’t seem to find all the options and “full perfect package” of the one I want until this one came up and it happens to be 70D vs 85D. Ugh....so tough.

Yup I can vouch for this. My advisor told me I could have a shipping company pick up the car for me. Once I put the deposit down he said that changed and I needed to be there in person within 7 days. Seems like things change weekly. Huge pain and inconvenience but all worth it in the end!

Yup I can vouch for this. My advisor told me I could have a shipping company pick up the car for me. Once I put the deposit down he said that changed and I needed to be there in person within 7 days. Seems like things change weekly. Huge pain and inconvenience but all worth it in the end!
They want you to inspect and accept the car in person, to avoid surprises and people attempting to return the cars after shipping (and possibly attempting to get their shipping costs back too).I bet you could assign some power of attorney to someone to pick it up for you though, allowing you representative to accept the car for you. Might need to speak to a lawyer how to do that.

One more question- if the car comes with a power lift gate, does it mean it automatically has lights on the door handles?
Probably, but not guaranteed. Power liftgate used to be standard or an option as part of a package, depending when the car was ordered. Same with lighted door handles, but not always grouped together. First part of 2015 both were part of tech package, then in April Tech package was split up into others but liftgate was standard until some time later when liftgate became an option again, then standard again. Welcome to Tesla.