Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP: CPO 85 or New 75D?

CPO 85 or New 75D?

• CPO 85

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • New 75D

Votes: 48 85.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I am in a real pickle. I plan on purchasing a Tesla sometime in the next month. I'm completely open to a CPO vehicle. In fact it's my preference, as I would prefer that the original owner deal with the bulk of the depreciation. A few notes about me:
  • Family of 4
  • Very low daily mileage (10-20 per day)
  • Want to go on road trips during the summer and drive to the mountains in the winter
  • Tesla will be the only car
However, the pricing of CPOs make the decision very difficult. I am looking at a CPO 85 ($71,500 + $2k shipping) but there are a large number of new 75Ds that have been discounted to $73-74k (after Federal rebate). The CPO has a few more options (SAS, UHFS), but I don't really care about them.

I am a Model 3 reservation holder and I consider this vehicle to be a bridge to the 3. But there is a chance that it's perfect for us and we keep it for 4-5 years. What do you all think? CPO or new?

Reactions: KJD
Couple things to think about.

1) Does the CPO 85 have AP? Even if you aren't a fan of AP, I would try for a car with at least AP 1.0 for the safety features it offers.

2) Having all wheel drive would be beneficial also. When I lived in Everett I didn't really need AWD, but when heading to the mountains I would always take my SUV after I spun out a few times in my RWD sedan.

3) On most road trips a 75D would be sufficient. I would check favorite destinations and see if that would suffice for your drive and superchargers were on the routes. Since they are still building out the supercharger network it would only open more routes in the future for you.

My vote is to go new 75D. :) Definately keep us updated!

Thanks Erik

Hi Erik! Love your site, use it all the time :)

1) Yes, all have AP 1.0. For the purpose of this conversation, consider both cars equally optioned except for the 85/75D difference.

2) I read mixed things here. Many people with non-D vehicles seem to do great in the snow. There are videos online of non-D vehicles performing quite well in Scandinavian countries.

3) This is the crux of my inner debate. I care about range above all but can't justify a 90D. Are we sure the range of a used 85 is more than a new 75D?

Hi Erik! Love your site, use it all the time :)

1) Yes, all have AP 1.0. For the purpose of this conversation, consider both cars equally optioned except for the 85/75D difference.

2) I read mixed things here. Many people with non-D vehicles seem to do great in the snow. There are videos online of non-D vehicles performing quite well in Scandinavian countries.

3) This is the crux of my inner debate. I care about range above all but can't justify a 90D. Are we sure the range of a used 85 is more than a new 75D?

Ah, awesome! Glad you like it!

Yes, even non-D handle the snow quite well. That's what Bjorn had and I have watched all his videos and he never seemed to have any big issues in the snow. I guess I just like have AWD, and its more efficient.

I was just thinking about the range also. I bet they would be pretty close. Which would make me lean even more towards a 75D. 259 miles on a full charge of a new 75D is pretty respectable.

Thanks Erik

There is not much difference in range between an 85 and a 75D, just a few miles. My S85 would charge to 262 miles after 2 years.

People in my neck of the woods get very good traction with S85 and snow tires.

I'd get the 75D, mostly because it's newer. Also, I can accelerate when it's wet without spinning tires with my 90D, not so with the S85.

Last edited:
Many people with non-D vehicles seem to do great in the snow.

This is my first winter (3rd with the car) of putting snow tires (Michelin x-ice) on my RWD 85 and driving it in snow. I usually drive my Tahoe Hybrid when we get snow down here, and when I go up through the mountain passes. I wouldn't say it does great. It does not bad. With this recent dump of snow we got (the first in 1000 days for us in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver) I drove my Tesla for the start of it but it slipped more than I liked, and I don't trust other drivers since we barely get snow, not many people know how to drive in it, and not everyone puts on winter tire. So I am now driving the Tahoe - ugh! Good thing the forecast calls for rain, and it's raining right now washing the snow away.

I'd go for the 75D.

Is there a reason you're not also considering the S75 (RWD)?

If I recall correctly the range is not much different between the RWD and the D. And, since you mentioned discounts, it's worth mentioning that there appears to be numerous inventory S75s (with AP 1.0) available for $7-8k off...many can be had for under $70k after fed rebate. Cheaper than the CPO, perhaps not too much difference in range, and have a brand new car.

Having said all that, if it's between the CPO S85 and new 75D, my vote is for the 75D for same reasons the other posters mention.

First world problems! Good luck :)

I would recommend a new 75D. Tesla had made lots of improvements and the new cars drive lot better. Also if you look at CPO, it is a hit or miss in terms of what you get.

I seriously considered inventory AP1 75D car before going with new AP2. There were couple in the Bellevue location with discounts of 7000 - 9000, with one of them never been driven. If you are interested, PM me and I can send you contact info of my OA. She is really good and very responsive.

Reactions: Rahul
While I suggested the 75D in an earlier post, that S85 CPO is low mileage and really nicely optioned - midnight silver, nextgen seats, Tech, Pano, UHF, SAS - the only AP1 S85 currently available. You might not care about the extra goodies now but they might grow on you. If you get a similar 75 for the same price (after credit) you lose UHF, SAS, and 15 miles range. Not so many 75Ds listed. The one below is the only one within $1000 of the other two. You lose midnight silver, premium (i.e power liftgate), UHF, SAS, and 5 miles range.

The bottom line is you will be happy with any of them. They all have AP1. They all drive like a dream compared to ICE. Throw on winter tires and they will all be fine in snow. Have fun shopping, but that S85 probably won't last long. If you wait, the 75s and 75Ds will come down in price. And there should be 200 unlisted AP1 inventory cars your OA can find.

85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H19FFP72547 | Tesla
Model S 75 5YJSA1E14GF156308 | Tesla
Model S 75D 5YJSA1E29GF158189 | Tesla

If you weren't planning on going to the mountains, I'd say go with your gut and get the RWD CPO 85.

But mountains in the winter makes AWD mandatory

My work partner has a Tesla RWD that was on Teslas crappy recommended Pirelli performance winter tires.
He got stuck several times in our flat parking lot after a snowfall.

That said, my guess is that he would've been fine on Michelin Ice X or Hakka R2s

What's more important?
-more gizmos and a car that drives not too badly, but you might get stuck in a mountain blizzard
-less gizmos and a car made for winter

To me, not having my wife and kids in a stuck car in winter is priceless, and worth more than 15-20 extra miles of charge.

Another radical thought...
Can you get a new 60D?
It has a 75 kWh battery that is software reduced to 60.
You can always pay to unlock if you later realize it's needed

Reactions: RScottyL
@abasile the 75s and 75Ds that are discounted are AP1 cars, hence the discount. I'm ok with AP1 and I'm not the kind of car buyer that purchases options for the purpose of improving resale value.

So far the overwhelming response is to go with the new car, which is surprising. I thought some people would see value in the already depreciated vehicle, the 85 kWh and the bigger frunk.

What about a CPO 90D ($85k) vs a new 75D ($75k)?

Now you just put yourself into the price range of a P85D, which is a speed step change above all the others you are considering, even the 90D. A whole new way to have fun. Used to be some new inventory for 96k but they disappeared.

Seriously, take one for a test drive.

Last edited:
The S85 has been discontinued for a while now. The S75D is still on sale and is likely to remain on sale for 1 or 2 more years. After the 100D is added, I would expect the 60 and 90 kWh versions to be discontinued. That means when you are trying to sell your car in 1.5-2 years, the S85 will look even more irrelevant than it is now while the S75D is still likely to be on sale.

By the way, I would expect the Model 3 75D to have 304 miles EPA rated range. You can find my detailed calculation here. That's more than S75D's 259 mi, S85's 265 or S90D's 294 miles. The extra range would make the Model 3 75D idea for long distance trips. I would expect the Model 3 production to begin in Sep 2017 which is 10 months from now.

Last edited:
@Troy "still on sale" doesn't seem be much of a factor to Tesls CPO buyers or the price of CPOs. Since I'm 99% likely to trade my car in to Tesla, I just need to believe they will offer a fair price.

@Footer i drive a Nissan Leaf today. I am the opposite of someone who would appreciate a "P". Plus I'd hate the insurance cost impact

My understanding is that in general Tesla low balls people on trade ins. I could be 100% wrong.

It seems you've changed your thought process slightly.

To me: used RWD vs new AWD = no brainer given that you're going into the mountains
Get the new AWD

However,
New AWD vs used AWD with bigger battery?

That's a tough call, especially since you said you value "value"

However, with the 90D at $85,000, I would instead get a new 90D with no upgrades except maybe subzero.

Base 90D no options is $89,9500.
-$7500 tax credit
-$1000 referral

=$81,4500

Cheaper than your CPO.
You can always add EAP and FSD later

Reactions: KJD