Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help decide between used M3P and new LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am torn between two options I have currently. I did put in a preorder for a M3 LR in the spec I want (blue/white, 18") with estimated Delivery sometime in late December, but I expect that to push back based on what I am seeing form others who have preordered.

A 2019 M3P came up that is close by, has around 50k miles, grey/white (my second choice) and FSD paid for.

A new LR in my spec comes to about 55k after taxes, the 2019 performance is 48k. I have seen people flip back and forth on the EV tax credits and if they will pass. If they do pass it seems that the new LR is the way to go, but if they fall out of the bill it seems like this 2019 performance is priced well?

What would you all do? I do make a long trip up to VA (about 350 miles) every couple of months, but we do also have a gas car that we could take instead of the tesla.

It seems like the happy medium would be to get the LR and the acceleration boost. FSD isn't super important to me, but I do see the value in it, and if the rebate does not go through the performance is probably the much better deal in the end.

Considering Tesla is selling used 3s for damn near new prices, the 2019 M3P for $48K must be a private party sale. With 50K on the odometer the bumper-to-bumper warranty would be gone You would only have the battery/DU warranty and that would only have about 5 years and 70K left.

I would go with the new LR in this case. Full warranty and more range is worth the extra $7K IMO. And if the tax credit comes back you might just get that back (but I wouldn’t bank on it; there will likely be limits on car prices designed to exclude Tesla.)

Reactions: fj_fan91
...I am torn...

I would focus on the utility rather than the uncertainty of rebates. CA EVs still automatically get $750 instant credit at delivery with no application process needed and done by dealer/Tesla themselves (it used to be $1,500 days ago).

Since you mentioned long-distance and the backup gas car, I would choose the longer range of LR rather than the shorter range of Performance.

I haven't used a gasoline car since 2012. No gasoline backup for me!

Considering Tesla is selling used 3s for damn near new prices, the 2019 M3P for $48K must be a private party sale. With 50K on the odometer the bumper-to-bumper warranty would be gone You would only have the battery/DU warranty and that would only have about 5 years and 70K left.

I would go with the new LR in this case. Full warranty and more range is worth the extra $7K IMO. And if the tax credit comes back you might just get that back (but I wouldn’t bank on it; there will likely be limits on car prices designed to exclude Tesla.)
It is a private party sale, and to be honest seems priced well/under market value.

I do see your point about the warranty, and from what I've read so far AP does about everything I would ever use FSD for (longer highway drives) so I don't see a ton of value added by that.

Unless you plan on tracking the car (as in taking it to a racetrack), I would buy new LR over a Used performance... and I am someone who has a performance model 3.

I am not a fan of current used car pricing right now, but it "is what it is". To me, new has more value.

Also, FWIW, "should I buy a Long range or performance, what would you do?" is a pretty common question here. It gets asked at least a couple times a month or more.

Here is one recent thread with activity on it. Everything in the discussion applies to your question. the only part that doesnt is that you are looking at "used vs new", but given most used car pricing, that doesnt change the opinions that much.

Last edited:
If you have time to wait, I would recommend getting new. Comes with a full warranty and there are many upgrades that Tesla has done with the Model 3. As mentioned there should be the option to purchase the acceleration boost. Sure, there's nothing like 0 - 60 in 3 sec but Tesla has never made a slow car.

Reactions: 804son