Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help deciding 60kw or 85kw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven the hundreds of miles and didn't like it. Flying isn't much better, I agree. I opt for the train whenever possible because driving anywhere near the LA area is a nightmare whatever the vehicle and that's on the route to wherever I would drive longish distance (typically Santa Barbara). And when I get to my destination I ride my bike though with the $10K I saved buying the 60 I can rent a car many times over.

For now I don't need and didn't order the super charger. My savings is a full $10,000. Oh, actually more than $10K as we aren't paying the CA sales tax on that $10K. So the savings for me is $10,750!

You actual save $8000 if you get the supercharger function and I would highly recommend that, not only for trips but for resale. I am very happy with the 60, but I do not commute and do not take lots of long trips.

A larger battery will last you longer if you only have to charge it to say, 55% as I do. According to my research, only charging the battery to 55% and using 20 Amps instead of 40 can more than DOUBLE your battery pack's useable lifespan. So that's another plus if you don't drive many miles every day.

ETA: I had originally ordered the S60, and later upgraded to the P85. I wanted the extra performance. Now that I have it, I'm not sure I need it. I probably would've been just as happy with the S60, but in the end, I'm happy with my choice. I plan to keep this thing for at least ten years or more so I'm kind of glad I went for the loaded one. ;)

Last edited:
For now I don't need and didn't order the super charger. My savings is a full $10,000. Oh, actually more than $10K as we aren't paying the CA sales tax on that $10K. So the savings for me is $10,750!

Do you EVER intend to use a Supercharger (You are living life large in the LAND of Superchargers)?
If so, the $2,000 cost now will save you $500 should you choose to add the SC ability later.

Do you EVER intend to use a Supercharger (You are living life large in the LAND of Superchargers)?
If so, the $2,000 cost now will save you $500 should you choose to add the SC ability later.

Never is a very long time, so the best I can say is I will not use a supercharger as far into the future as I can see. There is no supercharger in the san diego area and I'm not gonna drive to LA, or even close to LA, to try one. I think it's a safe $2K+ bet. Keep in mind that I've been driving an electric car now for well over 2 years and getting by (barely) on a 50 mile range (due to freeway driving). I just want a little more range - and a great looking car helps; let's face it, the LEAF is one ugly car though I love it anyway. Think about the movie "who killed the electric car" and how the vast majority of americans drive relatively few daily miles and simply do not need huge range. $10K+ might make the difference between buying this car or not buying it. I don't think american drivers should be irrationally range-fearful. Most americans do not need a 265 mile range. Nor 208 mile range for that matter.

10 years!....come on. Do you know how outdated your/our current Model S's are going to be in 10 years!.........in ten years it's going to feel like your drive a Pinto!

I don't tend to replace stuff if it's still working well and has been reliable. My last vehicle I kept for ten years and it didn't even have Blue tooth, so the MS already feels like I went from the stone age to the future. I honestly can't imagine what they could add that I'd really need. It's already got way more than I need now. :D

120 kWh battery

You wouldn't need a new car for this one in all likelihood. I got the 60 kWh pack - with supercharging although I'm not a road-tripper (I prefer flying even to LA) - precisely for this reason: that I could one day (say, in 10 years) swap it out for the biggest pack available from Tesla at that time. The 60 has plenty of range for all my driving in the Greater Bay Area much as bwilliams seems to indicate his range needs are in the San Diego area.

Great points made by All. My wife convinced me that I wouldn't be happy with the 60, and since there's no sale tax for EVs in Washington I ordered the 85. I'd planned to get the 60 and added the supercharger down the line if I needed it (which would have cost 2500) if adding later. By ordering the 85 I got the upgrade on the tires and saved the extra 500 it would have cost by adding the SC as an add on. We both drive BMWs now 2011 for me and 08 for her. She wants the '11. She's still not sure about EVs yet. I think I can change her mind.

Could you please provide a reference to your data source that supports your statement about using 20 Amos instead of 40? I would like to learn more about that issue.

Thank you,
It was on this forum. Somebody posted a chart that showed how long your battery would take to lose 20% of it's useable range at various Charge Levels and Amps. I'll see if I can find it. I thought it was pretty cool considering I really only drive at most about 50 miles per day.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it: #24 and here for the slower charging info you wanted: #21

You may want to read the whole thread but here is the chart:

We have a couple of threads on SOC that are worth reading:

What should my ideal charge percentage be? (FWv4.5))
Is a standard charge significantly worse than an 80% charge?

Best rule of thumb is to charge to a high enough level to cover your expected use plus a safety reserve. The batteries are happiest when stored at a lower SOC, especially in warm weather. Here's a table that shows the number of years it takes for Li-Ion NCA batteries to lose 20% capacity when stored at various states of charge and temperatures.

SOC20C (68F)30C (86F)
100%7 years4 years
90%11 years6 years
80%14 years8 years
60%23 years12 years
40%36 years19 years
20%49 years27 years

Last edited:
10 years!....come on. Do you know how outdated your/our current Model S's are going to be in 10 years!.........in ten years it's going to feel like your drive a Pinto!

Except that the Model S will have software upgrades so it won't be nearly as out of date. The vehicle I had three vehicles ago I kept for 20 years. My last vehicle I drove for ten years before it became a second car. The second to the last vehicle I only kept for five years but that was because it was a VW TDI and was costing 22 cents per mile for maintenance--truly the worst and most disappointing car I've ever had. Never again will I buy any car that has anything to do with VW.

I Ordered a S85 a few days ago. I work in sales and have to keep a milage log. So I have accurate driving records over the past 5 years. I know that a 60Kwhr would work for me. I ordered the 85 for several reasons that many have reported here:

1) Better resale value.
2) I did want super charging and love Michelin tires.. (So for me it was $7,000 diff)
3) Better warrantee (Unlimited miles)
4) Better performance (Least important to me, but sill nice)
5) I live just outside of Atlanta, GA. There will not be any Supercharge Options for me for a couple of years, so the extra range allows for more trip options until they are installed.
6) I think a large pack will degrade less due to less deep charge cycles.
7) I plan to keep the car for at least 10 years. If it degrades to a 60Kwhr, I am still good, especially if the SC network is completed by then.
8) I am sure that the wife and I will take more road trips in the car than we have in the past.
9) I know myself and know it would have just bothered me too much if I got the 60.... Not rational, but there you go...
10) And Finally, after thinking about it for months. I realized that if I could not afford the 85Kwhr car, I really should not be buying the 60Kwhr car either...

This may well turn out to be the best or worst decision I have ever made, so you might as well do it right either way...

I Ordered a S85 a few days ago. I work in sales and have to keep a milage log. So I have accurate driving records over the past 5 years. I know that a 60Kwhr would work for me. I ordered the 85 for several reasons that many have reported here:

1) Better resale value.
2) I did want super charging and love Michelin tires.. (So for me it was $7,000 diff)
3) Better warrantee (Unlimited miles)
4) Better performance (Least important to me, but sill nice)
5) I live just outside of Atlanta, GA. There will not be any Supercharge Options for me for a couple of years, so the extra range allows for more trip options until they are installed.
6) I think a large pack will degrade less due to less deep charge cycles.
7) I plan to keep the car for at least 10 years. If it degrades to a 60Kwhr, I am still good, especially if the SC network is completed by then.
8) I am sure that the wife and I will take more road trips in the car than we have in the past.
9) I know myself and know it would have just bothered me too much if I got the 60.... Not rational, but there you go...
10) And Finally, after thinking about it for months. I realized that if I could not afford the 85Kwhr car, I really should not be buying the 60Kwhr car either...

This may well turn out to be the best or worst decision I have ever made, so you might as well do it right either way...

Great list - I've read many posts on 60 v. 85 and came to almost identical conclusions