Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help deciding on AP 2.0 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order a week ago with AP 1.0. I need help figuring out whether people think the improvements with AP 2.0 are worth the 2k upgrade. B/c I haven't used AP on a daily basis I can't tell whether the additional features provided by AP 2.0 will really enhance my experience. I know that I was blown away by AP 1.0 when I test drove the car a few weeks ago. I imagine I will still love AP but would love to hear from current owners how much they are looking forward to the 2.0 enhancements?

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. I have Autipilot. It's awesome but it's basically really awesome cruise control with no real awareness of the car's surroundings.

If Tesla is to be believed, the new Autopilot system is fully level 5 (no driver needed in the car) capable within a matter of a couple of years.

People here are going to lose tens of thousands of dollars selling their AP1 cars to buy AP2 cars.

So yes. $2000 all day errrrr day. :)

The car will come with AP2 hardware. It sounds like what you are describing is the Full Self-driving capability - which isn't ready yet. Do you think the Enhanced Autopilot features are worth the 2k upgrade cost?

I am in the same situation. Enhanced AP seems very achievable near term (Dec 2016). So I am doing the Enhance AP upgrade only for my Dec delivery.

I am having a lot of doubts about all of the rosy projections Elon made related to FSDC. So I don't think it is wise to pay that extra $3,000 with AP 2 hardware.

It would not surprise me if there is a AP 3.0 hardware that is required to fully achieve all of Elon's claims made for FSDC.

Do you think EAP is worth the upgrade over standard AP?

I think Enhanced AP is worth it with AP 2.0 hardware. That list of features seems very achievable to me with the new hardware.

I think Tesla is over-promising on FSDC at this point in time and it is too risky to give them $3,000 for that option in 2016 when you likely won't get to use it until 2018, if ever.

You will get a 1 month free trial with FSDC when it does get released.

I also believe that when FSDC software is eventually released, that you will be able to upgrade to it at the original price of $3,000 if you have any skill at all in negotiating. Basically wait until the end of a financial quarter and then make your offer

I think as long as you have realistic expectations of the enhanced AP 2.0, it's probably a good investment (in terms of future resale value) if $2K doesn't hurt your wallet too much. I do also believe that many people have unrealistic expectations of the fully self driving capabilities that they announced. For one thing, as people have said in many other threads of this forum, part of the incentive of owning (or leasing) a Tesla is how FUN it is to DRIVE it! I doubt many people would actually want to sit idol while the car drives them to their destination. Sure, AP in general is useful, but probably not as much as most people imagine.

Like you, I was blown away by AP 1 when I test drove the car. Now that I have the car, I actually don't use AP all that much. I use the TACC (other auto manufacturers call it adaptive cruise control) quite a bit, but not the actual AP. I find the AP not terribly smooth (it makes a lot of micro adjustments to stay in the lane), and it obviously cannot avoid potholes on the road (we have quite a few of them in Chicago). So, what I'm saying is that a feature that sounds very neat conceptually may not actually be very practical when you have the car for every day use.

Reactions: democappy
I think as long as you have realistic expectations of the enhanced AP 2.0, it's probably a good investment (in terms of future resale value) if $2K doesn't hurt your wallet too much. I do also believe that many people have unrealistic expectations of the fully self driving capabilities that they announced. For one thing, as people have said in many other threads of this forum, part of the incentive of owning (or leasing) a Tesla is how FUN it is to DRIVE it! I doubt many people would actually want to sit idol while the car drives them to their destination. Sure, AP in general is useful, but probably not as much as most people imagine.

Like you, I was blown away by AP 1 when I test drove the car. Now that I have the car, I actually don't use AP all that much. I use the TACC (other auto manufacturers call it adaptive cruise control) quite a bit, but not the actual AP. I find the AP not terribly smooth (it makes a lot of micro adjustments to stay in the lane), and it obviously cannot avoid potholes on the road (we have quite a few of them in Chicago). So, what I'm saying is that a feature that sounds very neat conceptually may not actually be very practical when you have the car for every day use.

Thanks for the input. I get the AP2 hardware so from resale perspective I'll be fine. I can enable EAP over the air at any time, I just pay more for it. I am torn. Part of me wants to see how much I'll use AP before upgrading to EHP. Another part of me thinks I should just get it. I can't tell whether it's gimmicky and cool to show friends or something I would use and love.

Thanks for the input. I get the AP2 hardware so from resale perspective I'll be fine. I can enable EAP over the air at any time, I just pay more for it. I am torn. Part of me wants to see how much I'll use AP before upgrading to EHP. Another part of me thinks I should just get it. I can't tell whether it's gimmicky and cool to show friends or something I would use and love.

My only AP 1 experience was with a loaner while my 2013 Model S was being serviced for two days (GPS antenna issue).

I was blown away by the AP 1 version that was on my loaner. I took my wife and kids for rides on the highway and we were having a blast with just version 1.0 of this technology. It is crazy cool.

I can imagine that the AP 2 will be about 10x better with just the enhanced AP software. All of the little things that AP 1 couldn't do, I suspect AP 2 will achieve with the extra cameras and sensors.

I would go for the AP 2 Enhanced software package for now and wait on FSDC.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
My Model S is (thankfully) still in the production queue, so I also get to make the decision about whether to upgrade to Enhanced Autopilot, to Full Self-Driving Capability, or not to upgrade at all. Definitely, one of the deciding factors, especially for those of us who are leasing, is how quickly we think Tesla will be able to roll out Full Self-Driving Capability.

But the more immediate question I have is this: Is there a difference in the number of cameras on the Model S if you upgrade only to Enhanced Autopilot versus upgrading all the way to Full Self-Driving Capability?

The reason I ask is that the page on the Tesla website that allows a customer to upgrade states under the Enhanced Autopilot option: "The enhancements include going from one to four cameras--two redundant forward facing, left rear and right rear..." Meanwhile, under the option to upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability, the first line reads, "This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances..." So, unless I misunderstand, it sounds as though choosing just Enhanced Autopilot will leave you unable to ever upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability because you won't have the number of cameras necessary to do it. And yet...at the bottom of the option to upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability, it reads "$4000 upgrade after delivery requires Enhanced Autopilot", so apparently it can be done? Do they have to add more cameras at that point? Or am I missing something here?

Could anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

Attachments

• Autopilot.png
    Autopilot.png
    252.6 KB · Views: 67
I placed my order a week ago with AP 1.0. I need help figuring out whether people think the improvements with AP 2.0 are worth the 2k upgrade. B/c I haven't used AP on a daily basis I can't tell whether the additional features provided by AP 2.0 will really enhance my experience. I know that I was blown away by AP 1.0 when I test drove the car a few weeks ago. I imagine I will still love AP but would love to hear from current owners how much they are looking forward to the 2.0 enhancements?

I'm in the exact same boat, w.r.t to timing. Initially I hoped the dust would settle and us luckily times soles would get it for free ( a boy can dream) . Now its clear that isn't going to happen. Then I decided to just stick with the AP1.0 software and figured at some point tesla will upgrade you for free since its more expensive maintaining two versions of the software. After sitting on over the weekend , I finally upgraded to EAP and added the $2K. My reasoning was simple and boiled down to two things 1) The investment and testing on AP1.0 will be limited ( and thus possibly dangerous). 2) The $2K that you pay is well worth the hardware upgrade that we are getting - in other words support Tesla to accelerate their safety features.

So my old man has a lightly optioned S60D on a boat to Australia, now, due in 3 weeks-ish. He's in a quandary, these are the basic figures. The car landed here is about $134k on the road, but if he ditches for a December delivery of an AP2.0 car, the cost goes to about $139k. Add the $3000 deposit on the AP1.0 car, and you are looking at slightly over $9k changeover price. I've advised him to swap the order, but he's umming and arring about the $9k increase in price. He'll likely make it back on resale alone, but he's a little short sighted in that regard, old school, only paying cash, and taking exception to losing the $3k deposit particularly. What really bugs him is that he would have to pay RRP for his car on order, but if he cancel the order and it became an inventory car, someone would likely pick it up for $10k less at least. To me it's a no brainer, but its particularly hard to convince him to spend more money on an already expensive car (cars are expensive in Australia).

My Model S is (thankfully) still in the production queue, so I also get to make the decision about whether to upgrade to Enhanced Autopilot, to Full Self-Driving Capability, or not to upgrade at all. Definitely, one of the deciding factors, especially for those of us who are leasing, is how quickly we think Tesla will be able to roll out Full Self-Driving Capability.

But the more immediate question I have is this: Is there a difference in the number of cameras on the Model S if you upgrade only to Enhanced Autopilot versus upgrading all the way to Full Self-Driving Capability?

The reason I ask is that the page on the Tesla website that allows a customer to upgrade states under the Enhanced Autopilot option: "The enhancements include going from one to four cameras--two redundant forward facing, left rear and right rear..." Meanwhile, under the option to upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability, the first line reads, "This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances..." So, unless I misunderstand, it sounds as though choosing just Enhanced Autopilot will leave you unable to ever upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability because you won't have the number of cameras necessary to do it. And yet...at the bottom of the option to upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability, it reads "$4000 upgrade after delivery requires Enhanced Autopilot", so apparently it can be done? Do they have to add more cameras at that point? Or am I missing something here?

Could anyone enlighten me? Thanks!
No, all the hardware will be there, but the system does not use the extra cameras, unless you do the full upgrade. The statement about requiring enhanced ap just means you can't buy FSDC without also paying for enhanced AP. I would do the enhanced AP option, and leave FSDC alone for now.

So my old man has a lightly optioned S60D on a boat to Australia, now, due in 3 weeks-ish. He's in a quandary, these are the basic figures. ... I've advised him to swap the order, but he's umming and arring about the $9k increase in price. He'll likely make it back on resale alone, but he's a little short sighted in that regard, old school, only paying cash, and taking exception to losing the $3k deposit particularly.

This is oddly familiar of our over 50 and skeptical of Autopilot discussion this last week..

Then I decided to just stick with the AP1.0 software and figured at some point tesla will upgrade you for free since its more expensive maintaining two versions of the software.

I really don't believe they will maintain two copies of software for the cost reason you mention. They will simply limit some of the newer features (smart summon, auto-lane selection, freeway interchange, etc). Whatever they can't get into the old hardware will just have a flag and be disabled.

Makes sense. I guess the queue of people who ordered AP1.0 hardware but will get AP2.0 is significantly large ? And tesla isn't not willing to write of that $$$. Just a guess - assuming it was 2000 people in the transition queue , that's around 2000 * $2000 = $4 mill in the lower end . Not a lot of money, but not pocket change either.