Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help design a pedestrian warning noise for a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No noise is going to help the self absorbed people who feel righteous and entitled....

I was driving down a street one day in my DIESEL truck and a little girl on a scooter .. who I followed for about 100 yards at 2mph, decides to hang a u-turn exactly in front of me ... Of course, I was paying attention and she drove by embarrassed ....

> With no external speaker [scaesare]

There is room outside the frunk under the side covers, a bit more room on the driver's side, plenty for a speaker horn. Add a push-to-talk microphone and a small amp and you are an instant cop car: "click - Roger that! We're on it! - click"
--

That would seem at odds with the OP's criterion #2.

In other threads some have mentioned using wireless doorbells, placed in frunk and controller inside. On a somewhat related note, at Cannon Beach, OR, several years ago, tsunami warning sirens were installed along a 16 mile corridor. Rules required weekly (or monthly?) testing. Those that were responsible (including my dad, then the mayor) came up with the idea: instead of scaring or annoying people regularly, they broadcast the sound of moo-cows. Just a thought.

+1!

This is a slippery slope!

Once you start down this road, you have admitted some kind of (unreal) flaw. Where's the noise maker for the Lexus, the Rolls, an Avalon, an Acura etc.?? Those cars are next to silent when idling. Why don't people complain about those being too quiet? Or do they? IF we even consider it, then there should be a threshold of silence that should be applied to all cars below db level.

If something is to be considered, I vote for an aermore.

With all due respect, this conversation has been so hacked to death on these forums.

They had a similar problem in Europe (I think it was the Netherlands) where pizza delivery companies started swapping their noisy delivery mopeds for electric versions. The old mopeds were noisy enough for folks to get out of their way. When the EV's arrived, people didn't hear the mopeds and didn't move. This slowed delivery service.

So... they attached some speakers and had the voice of a man making the moped brrrrrrbrrrbrbrrrrbrbbrrr sound interspersed with a few "Pizza!" advertising words.

Personally, I like the civility. If you have a long ride down a parking lot and people don't notice you, roll down the window and say, "excuse me." If it's a short ride just have patience. We've all been there in our ICE's...

I enjoy the "how to implement" ideas behind this OP, but I still want to chime in on sounds: I like the bicycle bell sound - to be augmented by my voice with a window roll-down for goofers - but I even more would enjoy a Good Humor truck bell chime. Inasmuch as it is almost always the Old Geezahs who toddle along in their blithely unconcerned bubble within parking lots, that sound should elicit a great, nostalgic reaction from them!!!!!!!!

On edit: such sound track likely means nothing to our European and Asian brethren....nor, most unfortunately, from those of you still wet behind the ears. Too bad for you:tongue:

I have talked to another forum member about this. Early last year he said it was about $200 in parts.
GPS (required for the speed) + noise synthesizer (you can add your own noises). He was too busy at
the time to entertain the project. I'll send him a link to the thread perhaps he's got some free time now
or perhaps I do.

Plus, I vote for the Jetson's noise jetsonss car - YouTube

/Ed

PS: The A pillar is very wide on the Model S and I've nearly killed a few pedestrians in city driving, especially when
leaving a parking garage.

I think I said this before somewhere...

You need a "honktone" that sounds like a handful of loose change hitting the floor.
*Everybody* will turn their head at that sound.

-- Ardie
(Money talks, in more ways than one.)

They had a similar problem in Europe (I think it was the Netherlands) where pizza delivery companies started swapping their noisy delivery mopeds for electric versions. The old mopeds were noisy enough for folks to get out of their way. When the EV's arrived, people didn't hear the mopeds and didn't move. This slowed delivery service.

So... they attached some speakers and had the voice of a man making the moped brrrrrrbrrrbrbrrrrbrbbrrr sound interspersed with a few "Pizza!" advertising words.

Personally, I like the civility. If you have a long ride down a parking lot and people don't notice you, roll down the window and say, "excuse me." If it's a short ride just have patience. We've all been there in our ICE's...

you mean like this Dominos Scooter? :) Dominos Pizza Safe Sound - Menselijk motorgeluid voor elektrische scooter - YouTube

I mentioned to EdA this could be done with a low cost controller, such as the Raspberry PI, the board runs about $40, an SD card another $10, then you need some type of amplifier / speaker to connect to the sound output, and a way to control it. Someone has already done it, check this youtube demo, plays 3 different MP3 files, based on which button is pressed. This would just need to be packaged.
Raspberry Pi sound player: Raspberry Pi - Playing Sounds and Using Buttons - YouTube
here is another one, Halloween sound board... Makey Makey and Raspberry Pi Halloween Sound Board - YouTube
This shows how to FTP a soundfile to the RaspberryPi: Getting sound out of the Raspberry Pi - YouTube

Last edited:
you mean like this Dominos Scooter? :) Dominos Pizza Safe Sound - Menselijk motorgeluid voor elektrische scooter - YouTube

I mentioned to EdA this could be done with a low cost controller, such as the Raspberry PI, the board runs about $40, an SD card another $10, then you need some type of amplifier / speaker to connect to the sound output, and a way to control it. Someone has already done it, check this youtube demo, plays 3 different MP3 files, based on which button is pressed. This would just need to be packaged.
Raspberry Pi sound player: Raspberry Pi - Playing Sounds and Using Buttons - YouTube
here is another one, Halloween sound board... Makey Makey and Raspberry Pi Halloween Sound Board - YouTube
This shows how to FTP a soundfile to the RaspberryPi: Getting sound out of the Raspberry Pi - YouTube

Mitch, I thought the design we talked about included a GPS device so we knew when the car was moving - and only broadcast at less than a predefined speed.
Would this be something that would operate in all season if installed behind the nose cone?

Mitch, I thought the design we talked about included a GPS device so we knew when the car was moving - and only broadcast at less than a predefined speed.
Would this be something that would operate in all season if installed behind the nose cone?

I have a GPS connected to one of my Raspberry Pi's, that costs about $50 total. You would need to package it, and design it to run on 12V, RaspBerry Pi uses a +5V and usually a low cost USB adapter to power it, there are automotive 12V to USB adapters that could form the power supply. Like I said, everything exists to make this up, just requires someone motivated to do it, I have a full time day job now. maybe after I retire next year.
AdaFruit's GPS connecting to a Raspberry Pi: Introduction | Adafruit Ultimate GPS on the Raspberry Pi | Adafruit Learning System

Last edited:
I have a GPS connected to one of my Rasspberry Pi's, that costs about $50 total. You would need to package it, and design it to run on 12V, RaspBerry Pi uses a +5V and usually a low cost USB adapter to power it, there are automotive 12V to USB adapter that could form the power supply. Like I said, everything exists to make this up, just requires someone motivated to do it, I have a full time day job now. maybe after I retire next year.
AdaFruit's GPS connecting to a Raspberry Pi: Introduction | Adafruit Ultimate GPS on the Raspberry Pi | Adafruit Learning System

Just curious, could it run off of a button battery or something separate from the 12V system?