Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help design a pedestrian warning noise for a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I'm with majority… if you are really quiet and listen really hard, you can hear my suggested warning noise. Hear it? No? Then make sure you've eliminated all other noises. Hear anything now? No? Great, then you hear my recommended warning noise. Nada!

I don't know why I care so much (...I can't go to bed, something's wrong on the internet!) but the OP did not suggest that EVs be equipped with noise makers below a certain speed. It's a suggestion for a way to alert a pedestrian without tooting the horn. That's it. Said noise would require a specific action by the driver ... press this button. If folks think that's superfluous because there's a horn in the car, that's fine, but let's at least keep the original statement in mind.

[/obnoxious rant]

Yeah. This problem with distracted walkers is prevalent in every vehicle I've ever owned. It's because they are distracted, not because they can't hear us. People need to watch out where they are walking and drivers need to be aware there are distracted walkers in crowded areas and pay extra attention.

Are there any stats on how many people are actually hurt or injured seriously from being run into when they weren't looking? I suspect the number is pretty insignificant. This is merely a potential problem that people are blowing out of proportion. We already have a perfectly good horn you can "tap" if you need to wake up some knucklehead who is texting and walking. Other than that I really don't see the need for a second horn. I think it's a bad idea that only serves to lend credence to EV detractors who are trying to make these mandatory.

Recent humorous piece in Scientific American on the increasing number of injuries showing up in emergency rooms after falls while distracted by smartphones:

Smartphone Use while Walking Is Painfully Dumb - Scientific American

Here is the article in question:

Nasar JL, Troyer D
Pedestrian injuries due to mobile phone use in public places
Accident Analysis & Prevention 2013;57:91-95

Abstract

Research shows that pedestrians, similar to drivers, experience reduced situation awareness, distracted attention and unsafe behavior when talking or texting on their mobile phones. The present study centered on injuries related to mobile phone use among pedestrians. It used data from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission on injuries in hospital emergency rooms from 2004 through 2010. It found that mobile-phone related injuries among pedestrians increased relative to total pedestrian injuries, and paralleled the increase in injuries for drivers, and in 2010 exceeded those for drivers. Pedestrian injuries related to mobile-phone use were higher for males and for people under 31 years old. Using a mobile phone while walking puts pedestrians at risk of accident, injury or death.

Keywords

• Distraction;
  • Cell phone;
  • Safety;
  • Situation awareness;
  • Distracted drivers;
  • Accidents

Last edited:
I don't know why I care so much (...I can't go to bed, something's wrong on the internet!) but the OP did not suggest that EVs be equipped with noise makers below a certain speed. It's a suggestion for a way to alert a pedestrian without tooting the horn. That's it. Said noise would require a specific action by the driver ... press this button. If folks think that's superfluous because there's a horn in the car, that's fine, but let's at least keep the original statement in mind.

[/obnoxious rant]

Those noticing a thread after it's already multi page via "new posts" often react to title and late posts vs OP. Me included obviously. But if this is about auxiliary horn, no thanks I think existing horn is good, use it all the time on distracted pedestrians, dangerous bikers, etc. I guess my aux horn is a finger sometimes with accompanying epithets.

I have encountered this situation twice already in 5,000 miles of driving - both in the same place! I guess HEB shoppers aren't that observant of what could be behind them.

Anyhow, I have solved it both times by wrapping my knuckles on the inside of my windshield - "knock knock" - (just like you do when you're outside a car knocking on the glass to wake up an occupant who's taking a nap). They all looked around to see what the noise was, realised there was a car there and got out of the way.

One of the times I was rolling along behind them! It still worked.

It is early days for the electric car world... 10yrs from now people will know they don't make any noise and will just look around a bit more carefully for silent cars... that's my opinion.

Actually, I am the OP. Topic drift need not be counterfactual.

My aim was simply to achieve in daylight what I am often able to achieve with flashing high beams in a parking garage: to get pedestrians going the same way to realize that there is a car behind them without using the get-out-of-my-way horn. Half of those people are my neighbors.

Outdoors in daylight, the headlight flash does not work. What I suggested was attaching a noisemaker (programmable doorbell) to run off the high beam feed wire, so you get both a brief noise and a brief flash, and all without a new button and without moving your hands off the steering wheel.

As for choice of noise, I want to avoid startling the people. Or drawing excess attention to myself with a novel noise, in the manner of many flippant suggestions. Life is not a road-runner cartoon.

Engine sounds, however, can be hard to locate as being behind you; they could be from a parked car. Tire noise does imply a moving vehicle but it is often too subtle, which is why I thought of studded snow tires. That would probably work in Seattle, but the suggestion of "tires crunching gravel" would work even in the tropics. The high-frequency components of gravel-crunch attenuate with distance, so when you hear the full range of sound from a nearby source, you naturally think "moving car nearby."

What I want the people to do is simply make room and hang onto kids that might dart. I would prefer that they not think me (and other Tesla owners) rude.

Any other suggestions for how to implement? We need a recipe.

Last edited:
Actually, I am the OP. Topic drift need not be counterfactual.

My aim was simply to achieve in daylight what I am often able to achieve with flashing high beams in a parking garage: to get pedestrians going the same way to realize that there is a car behind them without using the get-out-of-my-way horn. Half of those people are my neighbors.

Outdoors, the headlight flash does not work. What I suggested was attaching a noisemaker (programmable doorbell) to run off the high beam feed wire, so you get both a brief noise and a brief flash.

As for choice of noise, I want to avoid startling the people. Or drawing excess attention to myself with a novel noise, in the manner of many flippant suggestions. Life is not a road-runner cartoon.

Engine sounds, however, can be hard to locate as being behind you; they could be from a parked car. Tire noise does imply a moving vehicle but it is often too subtle, which is why I thought of studded snow tires. That would probably work in Seattle, but the suggestion of "tires crunching gravel" would work even in the tropics. The high-frequency components of gravel-crunch attenuate with distance, so when you hear the full range of sound from a nearby source, you naturally think "moving car nearby."

What I want the people to do is simply make room and hang onto kids that might dart. I would prefer that they not think me (and other Tesla owners) rude.

Any other suggestions for how to implement? We need a recipe.
you might find this interesting, my LEAF emits a sound when under 9 MPH and in reverse. what does TESLA do with their cars delivered in the EU?

Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

whenever my wife is on a Business trip the Leaf is at the airport so I take the kids to school in the Tesla. the difference in the school parking lot is noteworthy. whatever anyone thinks about how responsible adult pedestrians should be, dealing with kids is a whole other matter. the old saying "stop, look and listen" doesn't even work for them anymore with EV's. In the Leaf, my presence is communicated easily and subtle enough to not be obtrusive. To the driver, the sound is a non issue. I can't even hear the low grumble from the inside that the car makes automatically when going at slower speeds, nor can I hear the unobtrusive ping of the back up alert, but kids can. These things add zero annoyance to my zero emission driving experience. In a parking lot with kids and frazzled parents running around, it's peace of mind, they know I'm there when I'm in the Leaf. In the Tesla, I find that no one knows I'm there and that does add to my annoyance as a driver, it means I have to be on high alert, scanning from side view mirrors to the back up cam and even use a wider perimeter by looking around. without emitting any sound, I know that chances of me running over an errant child go up considerably. At the very least, if there was the same kind of unobtrusive sound option available for the Tesla, it would be great. I'd add it if there were a third party option and I'd be all for it coming optional and user configurable on the S and any other electric car. I'm fine with those who don't like the idea having the option to not use it, but for those who do, I see no reason for it not to be an option.

So... they attached some speakers and had the voice of a man making the moped brrrrrrbrrrbrbrrrrbrbbrrr sound interspersed with a few "Pizza!" advertising words.

- - - Updated - - -

My contribution none the less would be to somehow tap into the front parking sensors, adding a small speaker device and a short "bing!"
Someone found a reason for me to be glad that Model S didn't originally ship with parking sensors!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bell (as on bicycle or streetcar) is very old-fashioned and *quite* effective.
(1) It cuts through the background noise.
(1) It's a nice sound rather than an ugly one.

I would strongly prefer to have something which is strictly manually triggered, but then I'm smarter than the car. Most drivers aren't. I'm a extremely good driver when I'm fully awake, to the point where I kind of wish 90% of the people on the road didn't have licenses, because I keep noticing them doing slightly dangerous maneuvers.

I have bought a wireless doorbell mounted under the nose, which also can record sounds.. so I have my own custom sound to scare away pedestrians. The door bell button is attached at the side of the driver seat with velcro.

At the moment my Tesla has a nice little jingle

This happens with ICE cars all the time. People are sometimes oblivious. I don't have my car yet, but in most cars it is possible to make a polite horn sound by quickly and lightly tapping the horn. Practice and you can make it non-startling.

The Horn........ For the safety of pedestrians and animals.

Car horns
have become a part of everyday life. Horns and automobiles are practically synonymous. One can hardly find an automobile without a horn. Car horns date back to the earliest of horseless carriages. In the early 1800's, steam carriages were becoming popular in Britain. For the safety of pedestrians and animals, a law was passed stating that "…self-propelled vehicles on public roads must be preceded by a man on foot waving a red flag and blowing a horn.". Of course, it did not take long to realize that a horn in the automobile itself, operated by the driver, was much more efficient.
In the late 1800's motorists actually had their choice of several signaling devices including bulb horns, whistles, and bells. In America, most chose bells. Despite the noise made by these devices, they were considered a quieter alternative to the clatter of horses' hooves and the bouncing of metal carriage wheels on cobblestone. In the early 1900's the bulb horn, first introduced in France, became popular in America. Its sound was considered more novel and penetrating than the bell. By 1910 some people were calling for a more effective warning device, one that could be heard at least an eighth of a mile ahead. Manufacturers responded with a variety of whistles, chimes, sirens, and horns, some of which ran off exhaust gases. The Sireno, named after Greek mythological creatures who lured mariners to destruction with the irresistible charm of their song, was advertised as a "one-mile signal". Another device, called the Godin, was publicized with the slogan "You press as you steer and your pathway is clear.".

This happens with ICE cars all the time. People are sometimes oblivious. I don't have my car yet, but in most cars it is possible to make a polite horn sound by quickly and lightly tapping the horn. Practice and you can make it non-startling.

It's slightly tangential to this discussion, but I've had a hard time making the Tesla horn do a "short beep" via a tap. It seems to require enough force for a duration that ends up with a longer beep than I like for "polite" notifications (pedestrians, saying "goodbye" as leaving a friend's house with a quick double-tap, etc...).

It's slightly tangential to this discussion, but I've had a hard time making the Tesla horn do a "short beep" via a tap. It seems to require enough force for a duration that ends up with a longer beep than I like for "polite" notifications (pedestrians, saying "goodbye" as leaving a friend's house with a quick double-tap, etc...).
Not tangential at all. Do others see this? This is will be a bit of an annoyance.