Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help design a pedestrian warning noise for a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be perfectly clear, i am totally against any kind of noise pollution added to an improved product, that being said we have no control over our GOV'T that is run by lobbyist that get what they want based on the amount of money tendered, to ease the pain I would use the fairly unobtrusive beep that the rear hatch emits when lowering, i don't think you would hear that in the cabin if pointed from the front of the car.

I have bought a wireless doorbell mounted under the nose, which also can record sounds.. so I have my own custom sound to scare away pedestrians. The door bell button is attached at the side of the driver seat with velcro.

At the moment my Tesla has a nice little jingle

This is a great idea. I was thinking about something that sounded like a kid's bicycle bell. Soft, polite. I then was trying to envision where I could buy a device and hook it up to the 12 V, run a wire, etc. A wireless solution is awesome! What bell did you use?

By the way, to those here who are debating whether anything like this is needed or not, I respectively ask that you leave that for another discussion. This thread was created by the OP for a solution, not a debate on necessity.

This is a great idea. I was thinking about something that sounded like a kid's bicycle bell. Soft, polite. I then was trying to envision where I could buy a device and hook it up to the 12 V, run a wire, etc. A wireless solution is awesome! What bell did you use?

By the way, to those here who are debating whether anything like this is needed or not, I respectively ask that you leave that for another discussion. This thread was created by the OP for a solution, not a debate on necessity.

I bought this one, Wireless MP3 Doorbell | Clas Ohlson

IMG_1131.jpg

I agree that it is not all that necessary.. I found one for $10 that is black.. wireless, and has 36 melodies (it is not recordable, but with 36 melodies, I am sure I will find one I can use.. and did I mention it was 10bucks...).

This **** just got real for Europe as well.

New European Legislation

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/environment/noise/index_en.htm

A specific Annex on the minimum noise ('Approaching Vehicle Audible Systems') of electric and hybrid electric vehicles is proposed to be added. These requirements shall ensure that only adequate sound generating devices are used and it shall lead to a harmonisation of the applied technology. The fitting was made mandatory by the legislator for electric/hybrid vehicles (after 5 years/publication).

Last edited:
Has no one here heard a Fisker? It has the PERFECT sound. It's a sound that is actually pleasant to hear and fits the car perfectly. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like the "AH" in "TA-DAH", but sort of soft and synthesized. It's really perfect and I bet the cost to develop that sound was what drove Fisker into bankruptcy. I'd buy it in a second; not because I think it is necessary, but it sounds so great.

Has no one here heard a Fisker? It has the PERFECT sound. It's a sound that is actually pleasant to hear and fits the car perfectly. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like the "AH" in "TA-DAH", but sort of soft and synthesized. It's really perfect and I bet the cost to develop that sound was what drove Fisker into bankruptcy. I'd buy it in a second; not because I think it is necessary, but it sounds so great.

I didn't like it be personal preference of course. I seriously doubt developing this sound took up even 1% of the over $1 billion they burned through.

All cars should just have a pedestrian horn that isn't as loud as main horn. You could activate it by pulling high beams back and holding.

I find the Volt subtle pedestrian horn perfect. Very handy and not just for pedestrians but for non critical situations (ex. someone asleep at a red light). Hope it will be mandatory in all car one day.