Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help design a pedestrian warning noise for a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are approaching 1 *billion* miles driven in Teslas. There has not been a single incident of a pedestrian accident resulting from the quietness of the car--certainly not a serious one. I suggest we stop trying to solve a problem that does not exist, and only perpetuates a myth that is harmful to EVs and harmful to those of us who enjoy a car that doesn't make silly noises.

Just my opinion.
Totally agree. Posted similar way upthread and got jumped on that that's not the debate here. But it is! Just discussing gives credence. If we want to do something about road safety, the first priority is distracted driving from talk/text on cell phones.

its also the second, third, and fourth priority!

We are approaching 1 *billion* miles driven in Teslas. There has not been a single incident of a pedestrian accident resulting from the quietness of the car--certainly not a serious one. I suggest we stop trying to solve a problem that does not exist, and only perpetuates a myth that is harmful to EVs and harmful to those of us who enjoy a car that doesn't make silly noises.

Just my opinion.

The whole purpose of the regulation/legislation is for professional lobbyists to foster dependency by the blind upon the lobbyists' "protection of your rights". A major legal industry has formed to leech off the disabled since passage of the ADA.

Just my opinion.

Totally agree!

I don't think the issue is pedestrian safety so much as "hello pedestrian get out of the way".

Yesterday driving down down our narrow neighborhood streets a fellow was getting into his truck so I came to a stop about 5 feet from him, he proceeded to stand with his door open and start reading a newspaper. Had to roll down window and say "excuse me" rather than honking and scaring the crap out of him.

As news spreads of angry EV owners killing masses of people with their quiet cars, a logical solution will follow through natural selection... Intelligent humans will get their fat rears out of the middle of the road and off to the side/sidewalk where they belong. :)

Obviously I kid but serious pet peeve are these people walking in the street next to the perfectly good sidewalk... or walking through a mall parking lot in the middle of the road like a tourist at Disneyland... or tourists at Dineyland stopping like they are the only people there... Or... I could do this all night LOL

But seriously :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

I use the stereo - works great..

OT: 38mm Festoon LED??? Tell me more

- - - Updated - - -

Knight rider sound :tongue:

The audio system in the Model S does seem unusually clear and loud outside of the car. One day as I was walking through a parking garage, someone in a Model S was using the handsfree audio to make a telephone call. It was embarrassing how clearly I could hear the far end of that call from 100 ft away.

The audio system in the Model S does seem unusually clear and loud outside of the car. One day as I was walking through a parking garage, someone in a Model S was using the handsfree audio to make a telephone call. It was embarrassing how clearly I could hear the far end of that call from 100 ft away.

Yea I've been told the same when I'm on a call

I don't think the issue is pedestrian safety so much as "hello pedestrian get out of the way".

Yesterday driving down down our narrow neighborhood streets a fellow was getting into his truck so I came to a stop about 5 feet from him, he proceeded to stand with his door open and start reading a newspaper. Had to roll down window and say "excuse me" rather than honking and scaring the crap out of him.

This is what it's about. I agree that it's not a pedestrian safety issue, it's just a convenience.

On the same topic: in the city where I live, cycling is a huge thing — there are cycle lanes everywhere, and cycle parking facilities at every building. Thousands of people commute to work on bikes, thousands of kids cycle to school, and there's a multi-storey parking facility for 3000 bikes under construction at the train station. There are bikes everywhere, and of course, bikes run just as silently as an EV.

And you know what, it's really useful to have several levels of audible warning on a bike. I've got the usual bell that gives a single DING! and is good to alert pedestrians that I'd be grateful if they could let me past; sometimes even just flicking the brake levers is enough if I'm close enough to them already. But I also have an airhorn that's effective for warning vehicles. The bell is pointless for this, because drivers can't hear it, but blasting the airhorn at pedestrians would be really obnoxious. I use both just about every day.

And I'd like to have the same for the car. It's got the horn, but as a polite convenience, I'd like to have a bell as well.

[Incidentally, if someone brings up the canard about EVs being dangerous to pedestrians because they're silent, my stock response is, "Man, you must get hit by cyclists all the time!" which of course they don't.]