Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help design a pedestrian warning noise for a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that it is not all that necessary.. I found one for $10 that is black.. wireless, and has 36 melodies (it is not recordable, but with 36 melodies, I am sure I will find one I can use.. and did I mention it was 10bucks...).

Where did you find it for $10? Is the bell load enough to have in the frunk or did you mount behind the nosecone?

Your comments appreciated!

With all due respect, this conversation has been so hacked to death on these forums.

Agreed. I wish people would stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. The MS is silent, but so are many other ICE cars when idling so should we just start slapping noise makers on all our cars? Isn't part of the point of having an EV cutting down not only on carbon emissions, but also NOISE emissions? I appreciate people wanting to make things safer, but this isn't needed, and would really detract from the car. I really wish people would stop suggesting it, because if they added this to the car I would probably never buy one again.. the silence is a NICE thing to have. Just WATCH where you are going?? That's part of being a good driver.

no-just-no.jpg

This is a slippery slope!

Once you start down this road, you have admitted some kind of (unreal) flaw. Where's the noise maker for the Lexus, the Rolls, an Avalon, an Acura etc.?? Those cars are next to silent when idling. Why don't people complain about those being too quiet? Or do they? IF we even consider it, then there should be a threshold of silence that should be applied to all cars below db level.

If something is to be considered, I vote for an aermore.

With all due respect, this conversation has been so hacked to death on these forums.

+1,000,000

Drivers and pedestrians alike have the responsibility to be aware of their surroundings. Idiot proofing every object on the planet that's mobile, sharp edged, or hot to the touch is not the answer.

I am reaching out for additional suggestions. I would like a simple bell sound, kind of like a bicycle bell. One simple "ding" to politely get someone's attention.

I already tried a recordable wireless doorbell. The one I purchased was not loud enough, and frequently stopped working when it got wet from placing it in the nosecone (even though I made valiant attempts to waterproof it). Also, it had a 5 second delay that was really annoying. The built in chimes on these wireless doorbells are usually a little ridiculous too. I do not mind a wired solution. To me, that's a little more dependable. Install it once, and forget about it. I see tons of bells on the internet, but I think most are like fire-alarm types.

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am reaching out for additional suggestions. I would like a simple bell sound, kind of like a bicycle bell. One simple "ding" to politely get someone's attention.

I already tried a recordable wireless doorbell. The one I purchased was not loud enough, and frequently stopped working when it got wet from placing it in the nosecone (even though I made valiant attempts to waterproof it). Also, it had a 5 second delay that was really annoying. The built in chimes on these wireless doorbells are usually a little ridiculous too. I do not mind a wired solution. To me, that's a little more dependable. Install it once, and forget about it. I see tons of bells on the internet, but I think most are like fire-alarm types.

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was thinking Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyries", but yeah, "ding" is good.

I find it real interesting that here we have a automobile that is supposed to be the ultimate in technology and few can afford, we find ourselves asking for something that should already have been installed in a way that we the drivers can program whatever noise we want to have the car make. I assume that the alarm horn or the horn itself is nothing more then a speaker of some sort, the usb port is already there to get a sound file that can be played when a button is pressed. if the volt have such button why not the ultimate automobile? :biggrin:

We are approaching 1 *billion* miles driven in Teslas. There has not been a single incident of a pedestrian accident resulting from the quietness of the car--certainly not a serious one. I suggest we stop trying to solve a problem that does not exist, and only perpetuates a myth that is harmful to EVs and harmful to those of us who enjoy a car that doesn't make silly noises.

Just my opinion.

I think the idea with this thread is to have some fun discussion. If we were practical, we would say, just turn on an (existing) exterior fan to make some noise, like some other EVs; that could be done with nothing more than a software tweak. However, we want something more creative and funky. I vote for a sound digitized from the Chrysler Turbine Car, so it would sound like there is a jet fighter on the street there. How about that?