Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Doors shift down when opening: become difficult to shut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that the Model S doors need a firm push (or pull) to shut. And I know that the windows roll down about 1cm when opening and then go back up when shut. But, is it normal for the entire door to shift down (about 5-10mm) when opening? When I received my Model S 100D last Friday, the driver's door was not shut completely. I tried to shut it, and it wouldn't... service guy came over and slammed it a few time (really hard) and finally got it to latch but there was misalignment. I am now getting the problem on the passenger's door (only opened/closed a few times since delivery). There must be a bolt/nut loose and allowing the door to slide down when not latched shut. Can you guys/gals confirm that this is not normal? Just open your door and see if the entire door shifts down somewhat. Thanks in advance. Any one else have this problem? I tried searching the forums... lot of talk of misalignment but can't find this particular example.

IMG_5963.JPG
IMG_6028.JPG
IMG_6028.JPG
Pics
Top picture is when I walked up to the car at delivery. Door was not shut all the way. Lower picture is how it looks now. It just doesn't line up... frustrating.

Thanks for the replies. The service center is aware of the issue(s) and will give me a loaner to have it fixed. I am worried that the passenger door is heading down a similar path and just wanted to know if it is normal for the door to shift down when opened. If not, it points to a loose hinge. I live 100+ miles away from the nearest service center, and don't get much time out of my busy schedule to take it in. I just got the car 4 days ago...

If it shifts down when it comes off of the latches, either the hinges are loose on the door or the hinges are damaged in some fashion allowing too much play. Should be a simple realignment/replacement for the service center.

Is it only the front doors? Or are the rear doors difficult to shut as well?
Definitely the front but mostly the front passenger door. I've attached photos of the front drivers and passenger doors. Now that I'm looking at side by side photos, I can see that something is slightly off with the front passenger door compared to the drivers side.

I mean, that door has to be closed hard enough that in any other car I would yell about not slamming doors.

Attachments

• drivers (1).jpg
    drivers (1).jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 57
  • passenger (1).jpg
    passenger (1).jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 52
Not normal, but maybe considered within normal tolerances. I've had two low mileage loaners (recently built) from Tesla while I wait on a rebuilt car. The first one had a front passenger door that 9 out of 10 times, needed to be re-reclosed. Tesla SC called it normal and a breaking in period. However, when the first loaner was replaced with a second loaner, all doors close with ease and no extra 'slam' ever. First car was given to me at ~500 miles. The second had ~50 miles.

Don't accept a door that needs extra effort, they should close with ease.

Definitely the front but mostly the front passenger door. I've attached photos of the front drivers and passenger doors. Now that I'm looking at side by side photos, I can see that something is slightly off with the front passenger door compared to the drivers side.

I mean, that door has to be closed hard enough that in any other car I would yell about not slamming doors.

Both of those doors look misaligned, the passenger side worse. They should be flush with the rear doors. You definitely have the same problem I have. The SC said it has to go to a "Tesla Certified Body Shop" for repair. I will likely be without my car for 1-2 weeks.... Ugh!! why can't they QC/QA these things better?

I've always had to push or pull firmly on my doors on my 09/16 S75 to close them. I can't tell you how many times we had to re-attempt closing the doors when we first got the car.
There are shims that controls the motion of the handles as they extend or retract.
They can become loose and misaligned and this causes the "sticky" feel when pulling door open.
The service centre can fix.

Why are you saying a repair that takes 60-90 minutes per door going to leave you without a car for that long?

The Service Advisor said is will take 1-2 weeks to fix. I believe the door was slammed hard multiple times and has bent the aluminum door. At delivery, 2 Tesla employees came over and slammed the door multiple times after I questioned why the door was not closed when I 1st saw it. Then, a service technician came over and adjusted the latch but said the misalignment will have to go to a "certified Tesla body shop" for 1-2 weeks for repair.

Trust me, I would rather them just fix it while I was there. Being without my car for 1-2 weeks to fix something that should have been caught prior to delivery to me is frustrating. But it seems I am better off then some on here (cracked A-frame...WTF?). I believe they have dealt with this issue multiple times and know exactly what to do and how long it will take. Ho hum for them, just another misaligned door.. rinse...repeat.

They really need to get to the origin of this problem. It can't be cheap to give out loaners for weeks and pay a body shop to do adjustments. Not to mention the bad publicity/advertisement when people see the Model S for the 1st time and see all the issues they have. There are less than a handful of Teslas in my city, and numerous people were eager to see one in person....