TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Help: Downgrade Old Price S70 to S60?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by arosenbe, Jun 27, 2016.

1. arosenbe

arosenbe Member

I have a pre-price increase Model 70 RWD on order for delivery in September, list price was $70,000 before options, tax credit and destination fees. My DS informed me that I could essentially 'downgrade' to the S60 by paying the $500 change fee, since my car isn't yet in production. So, my net savings would be $3500, since the list of the S60 is $66,000. Thoughts on saving the $3500 (or using it to get more options) vs. keeping the order as it is? Thanks for your opinions.

2. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Your already set on a price. Downgrade and add options. It will feel like getting options for free :) Why the long wait for delivery?

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I agree with @Chopr147 unless the extra small amount of range is critical. But you could always upgrade to release the electron later if need be.

4. xav-

xav- Member

I really don't think it's worth it arosenbe.

You re going to lose 20 miles of range. Keep in mind that they charge $9k for the upgrade to 75kwh (which really is 68 kWh since you are supposed to charge the battery to 90 pc capacity). Keep in mind the the s70 users who upgraded to 75 on this forum claimed it was a complete waste of money.

So basically you end up paying $3.5k extra for something that buyers of the new 60 have to pay $9k. I think you got a sweet deal.

I am confused as to why so many people say that the new 60 is such a good deal. it's a good deal for Tesla. Likely a lot of people will be forced to pay $9k for the upgrade.

• Like x 1
  5. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Since u live in Connecticut, you should keep the 70 since the extra range is needed in winter time (EV's range is shorter in winter than summer time). Make sure that you are actually getting the 75kwh battery that is software limited to 70 kwh. NOT the old 70 kwh battery that is not software limited.

• Like x 2
  6. whitex

whitex Member

Why and how would they likely be forced?

7. whitex

whitex Member

OP, $3,500 for an extra 10KWh sounds like a bargain. There is a good chance you could recoup most if not all of the price difference at sell time considering 75's of similar vintage cost $8,500 more.

8. tstafford

tstafford Member

I'd keep the range given the fairly nominal price difference.

9. arosenbe

arosenbe Member

I've got a home in Florida and want to register and take delivery of the car there. In April, while I was just starting to look, these message boards tipped me off to the (then) forthcoming price increase, so I deposited to lock-in at the old price.

10. arosenbe

arosenbe Member

By the way, you guys all rule! Super helpful. I'm leaning toward sticking with the 70. Truth be told (and i know many of you may disagree), the options I DIDN'T choose (air suspension, premium upgrades) really aren't worth it to me. As long as I have leather, upgraded sound, pano and AP, I'm a pretty happy camper.

• Like x 1
  11. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

#11 mikeash, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Up to early last year, Tesla sold the old version of the 60 for $4,000 more than the new 60 costs. In addition to costing more, the old 60 was an actual 60kWh battery pack, meaning that it Supercharged slower, suffered more degradation when charged to 100%, and lacked any range upgrade capability (aside from the one guy who convinced Tesla to upgrade his 60 to an 85 for $18,000+). The new one is better in pretty much every way (except frunk space) while costing less.

Personally, I don't think I'd be comfortable with the range the 60 offers. The old 60 was still available when I bought my 85, I wanted the extra range then, and nothing since has changed my mind. But if 210 rated miles is enough for you, then it's a pretty good deal.

12. CapeOne

CapeOne Member

No one is "forced" to upgrade after getting a new 60. If 60 is adequate for one's needs, why pay extra for 70 or 75? If, however, someone finds after they've had the car for a while that 75 is worthwhile then they still have the option of upgrading.

The new 60 at $66K is notably cheaper than the 60 of a few years ago when you factor in all of the features that are standard today but were optional then, inflation, etc. Of course, pricing of other ‘EVs’ (BEVs and PHEVs) have come down quite a bit in recent years too.

13. Mike K

Mike K Member

Can someone explain to me the benefit of going 70 over 60? Maybe it's lost on me but the old 60 accelerated slower, supercharged slower and suffered more degradation.

This 60 doesn't appear to charge slower than the 70/ 75, doesn't appear to accelerate slower and since I'm assuming you could charge it to 100% all of the time, wouldn't the difference between a fully charged 60 and a 90% charged 70 be pretty unsubstantial? Not only that but it stands to reason that with a software limited pack you'd go years without seeing any kind of degradation.

• Like x 1
  14. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

In the end that's all that matters :) Personally, I don't see a need for more than the 60 range but my feelings may change after driving the car a while.

15. xav-

xav- Member

When it's winter and you realize that 150 mile range or so is a problem?

16. arosenbe

arosenbe Member

Well, I'm a snowbird, so this car will never see a cold winter (nor will I).

17. Kratus

Kratus Member

AFAIK the 70 kWh battery pack isn't produced anymore. So if you stick with the 70 you ordered, you may take delivery of a 75, for the same price.

18. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

Winter for me is a few weeks of frost...

19. arosenbe

arosenbe Member

More likely it will be a 75 software limited to 70. At least that's my guess. Although I can certainly hope that you're right!

20. xav-

xav- Member

#20 xav-, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Personally I think paying for $3.5k for 10 kWh of battery is pretty cheap compared to those who will pay $9k for 15 KWh (of which they likely won't be able to use more than 8 or 9 kWh).

In the end it all depends on you I guess.. Maybe you just don't need the range at all. Living in Connecticut, maybe you should save the money and get the AWD instead (for $5k extra meaning $1.5k extra for you), that is something that would make sense I think.