Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help figuring out this charging port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my model 3. I’m trying to charge it in my apartment building while I work out things in my garage. The apartment charging station saying Turbodock and it looks like this

8AB49D60-CA45-4902-87EE-8E8B5A14E74E.jpeg

I think I need an adapter to charge from this station but confused which one to get. Can someone help?

Wouldnt that just be the J1772 adapter that comes with the model 3? I am not a pro on figuring out these adapters but thats what it looks like to me.
I think you are more of a 'pro' thank you think :)

OP, there are a bunch of different types of J1772 to Tesla adapters on Amazon if you don't already have one. I thought it came with the car, but maybe I am wrong.

Yes, just use the J1772 adapter that came with the car.

Those TurboDocks are 16 amp EVSEs and either 208 or 240V. There is also a phone app for them. If your apartment complex has configured the TurboDock to require a PIN code, you'll need to install the "TurboDock" phone app from the app store. The app links to the TurboDock via bluetooth.

Christ almighty why are there so many different standards and connectors?! I can't keep up.
It's actually not too bad.

There's Tesla standard connector that works with the mobile connector for Level 1 and 2 (also tesla wall connector) charging and with Superchargers for Level 3 charging.

The other NA standard is the J1772 connector for Level 1 and 2 charging and then it couples with CCS pins for Level 3.

Other areas have other standards however.
EMW_plugs_.jpg
for Level 3 charging.

Reactions: Matsayz
Other areas have other standards however.
While it's true that CCS is a predominate standard in the US, there still are many CHAdeMO stations around. Whether that remains true in the next decade, I don't know. It didn't dissuade me from buying a Tesla-CHAdeMO adapter almost two years ago, which I'm using more now that the ChargePoint station near my house has been back online.

While it's true that CCS is a predominate standard in the US, there still are many CHAdeMO stations around. Whether that remains true in the next decade, I don't know. It didn't dissuade me from buying a Tesla-CHAdeMO adapter almost two years ago, which I'm using more now that the ChargePoint station near my house has been back online.
Good point. I forgot to mention NA got a bunch of CHAdeMO stations when the Nissan Leaf showed up. I hear they are no longer being rolled out in the US as I think even Nissan is moving to CCS but if there was one near me I'd probably pick up the adapter too, (and if I was no longer working from home)

I did see that there's at least one CCS to Tesla adapter from China on the market. Although it wasn't widely available a few months ago.

I’ve not got my car yet but I’ve signed up to apps like Zap-Map and some charging ones etc in preparation for it. When I click on the possible charging sites it says I can choose say CCS or Chademo but looking at that above picture, Chademo is the Japan standard so why on earth do I have that here in the UK?
Is it to cater for Japanese made cars or something?

From what I can tell, unless I’m at a Tesla Supercharger I think I just choose CCS when I can don’t I? Unless they don’t have CCS so I just play Lego and see what bloody fits.

I’ve not got my car yet but I’ve signed up to apps like Zap-Map and some charging ones etc in preparation for it. When I click on the possible charging sites it says I can choose say CCS or Chademo but looking at that above picture, Chademo is the Japan standard so why on earth do I have that here in the UK?
Is it to cater for Japanese made cars or something?

From what I can tell, unless I’m at a Tesla Supercharger I think I just choose CCS when I can don’t I? Unless they don’t have CCS so I just play Lego and see what bloody fits.
Yes, CHAdeMO is mostly for the Japanese cars that uses that standard (e.g., Nissan). CCS2 should be the dominant connector in the EU. But that's not to say that there are no CHAdeMO stations in your area.

Reactions: PSmigg