Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Fit Mtb In Trunk Of M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you fit a Large frame 29er MTB, with the front wheel removed in the trunk of a Model3 with the rear seats folded?
I'm 6 foot tall for saddle height reference. Prefer to only remove the front wheel though, not the rear wheel or seat post etc.

Anyone done this?
If it fits, means I can chuck it in the trunk on workdays and grab a quick ride in some more interesting places on the way home.

Thanks.

Can you fit a Large frame 29er MTB, with the front wheel removed in the trunk of a Model3 with the rear seats folded?
I'm 6 foot tall for saddle height reference. Prefer to only remove the front wheel though, not the rear wheel or seat post etc.

Anyone done this?
If it fits, means I can chuck it in the trunk on workdays and grab a quick ride in some more interesting places on the way home.

Thanks.

Totally. You’ll have to remove the front wheel and lower the rear seats, but no prob at all otherwise.

Probably. Space between the wheel wells is tight. I haven't tried a MTB, but I can just squeeze my road bike in. I'm 6' 2" and the important dimension is the distance from the bottom of the chainring to the top back of the saddle. On my size 58 bike, this is ~ 97 cm. With the rear wheel on, there's little room to angle the frame to make things fit. I put the chainring low, and the saddle high to make the most of the space between the wheel wells. It doesn't really fit, but if I push just a little, the trunk liner will give a bit and allow it to squeeze through. I do it bars first, but it could probably go either way.

If you've got a dropper post, you're probably fine, but if not, the larger tire diameter on a 29er MTB might make this tough.

upload_2019-6-21_9-14-50.jpeg

You can fit an XL-size mountain bike (I’m 6’4”) with 26” wheels in the Model 3 with just the front wheel removed, *but* you have to drop the seat to get past the wheel wells and then you can raise it again once past. (My understanding is it’s not good to leave your drop seat down while not in use, storage, traveling.) Sorry, haven’t tried 29”er.

Also, last weekend, I loaded both my mountain bike and my girlfriend’s smaller frame bike by removing her pedals, putting hers in first without front wheel and then removing both my wheels to slip mine in over hers (with a blanket between of course). Was still plenty of room for week’s worth of luggage, biking gear, computer bags, room for two cats (plus small litter box), ice chest in the frunk, etc. for a trip to Tahoe. That said, I am looking forward to Model Y to get easier “weekend warrior” loading, more akin to my previous RAV4. Or maybe Rivian R1S, for more off-road capability....

I still have my RAV4 EV for local trips with the bikes so haven’t resorted to cutting a hole underneath for a tow hitch and bike rack on the Model 3. I’ve always preferred keeping the bikes safe *inside* the vehicle (whether that be my old 4Runner, the LEAF, the RAV4 EV), plus I hear you get something like a 50% hit to range with the Model 3 and bikes on a rear hitch mount.

• Informative
Reactions: thegruf
love this place, great answers that I know I'd never get elsewhere. Thanks all.

It's the seat post that concerns me, haven't gone the dropper post route - I'm a bit less adventurous these days to justify one, but seems I might just get away with it, worst case the seat-post will have to come off although not great to do this regularly, or if it gets to be a regular thing a dropper post to solve. Like to keep the bike safe inside the car though.

Backstory is been looking at another MS P100D but no new inventory around here and am a bit caught with waiting for the new interior, so was thinking an M3P might do at least for a bit. An MY would have been perfect but not yet of course. So the plan might have to be M3P now, switch to updated MSLudicrous next year, then when the MY(P) is out switch out the M3P for one. I like a plan!

I'm a bit less adventurous these days to justify one, but seems I might just get away with it,

I'm less adventurous myself these days, but I got a dropper post even for my hardtail, because I did not want to experience an OTB adventure!

So I second/third/fourth that recommendation. I guess you could also get a quick release for the seat post but generally speaking I've found that this just introduces dirt into the seat tube which can eventually lead to annoying creaking (on a carbon frame) until it is cleaned out.

My 29er fits fine in the trunk with the front wheel removed. I picked up a large moving blanket from Harbor Freight and fold it such that it easily unfolds in place to protect the trunk floor and extend all the way up the back of the rear seats. I also keep a towel in the car which I drape over the rear bumper cover during entry and egress. As someone else said, watch out particularly for the pedals as they go into the car - one hit and will go all the way through the paint (I know this from prior cars, not from my Model 3, yet). Drive side up of course.

Last edited:
My 29er fits with front wheel off. I’m about 5’10. It’s a tight fit with the seat though. If you are taller I could see it being a problem. Not sure if angling it would buy you a few extra inches to make it fit.

Attachments

• C376F88F-76A0-4C6F-AC2C-4BA8170E592D.jpeg
    C376F88F-76A0-4C6F-AC2C-4BA8170E592D.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 193