Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help fix dodgy map data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would Tesla want to own a mapping company and then sell that data to other car manufacturers? Why would they want to own their own mapping company and have all that expense to use it in their own cars? Specifically their model doesn't need special mapping data for autonomy. Stellantis don't have L3+ autonomy.

I assume if Tesla feel that speed limit data needs to be updated they already have a worldwide fleet of cars that could collect it all in no time at all by recognizing speed signs.
After the investigation and report of the national highway traffic safetey administration it will be required to use real-time in car HD Maps for safety reasons, imho. Look at Lexus, Stellantis and VW will follow, just like Nissan. VW is using MSFT Azure (HD) Maps (from TomTom) via the Microsoft Connected Vehicle Platform (MCVP). Elon don’t like out-sourcing ;-)

I don't think Tesla care about speed limits; their own FSD day demo videos showed their law being broken repeatedly from erroneous map data. If they did, my own would detect and remember the limits I pass, instead of ignoring national speed limit signs, requiring new auto-limit confirmation and falling back to outdated data. Similarly speed adjustment on limit change but only after the sign, unlawfully (at least in the UK).

The biggest issue I have with the maps is rogue speed limit data. It's really concerning when navigating motorway slip roads, or passing them, to cruise control or autopilot suddenly drop to 40 mph or 30 mph. The limit only seems to exist for a hundred metres or so, and then returns to 70.
We’ve got the exact same problem here in Los Angeles. Exactly at the point one freeway merges with another the car speed limit suddenly drops from 65 to 55 and the car abruptly slows. There is no speed change in the real world and can cause problems if a car is following closely. I always have to quickly raise the car speed to keep up with the traffic.