Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help fix dodgy map data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although Tesla maps use Google Maps on the surface, the underlying data is provided by TomTom (you can sometimes see this when the planned route diverges slightly from the drawn map).

TomTom maps are nowhere near as up-to-date as Google or HERE, but there's an easy fix here:

You need to sign up for a TomTom account (just make up the personal details if you want, you don't need to activate it), and you can then flag areas of the map with problems. I marked a few issues locally - mainly access restrictions where the council has put bollards in to prevent rat-running - and they were approved and added to the base map within an hour.

Obviously it'll take time for this to filter through to Tesla updates, but unless it's flagged it'll never get fixed.

Google must be used somewhere in there as I had an issue with my home address not being correct. I live in a new(ish) house (4yr old) and when I search for it on Google maps, it puts me down the bottom of the same street where I live. I reported it via Google maps a few weeks ago and told them where my address actually was. Lo and behold, in the most recent maps update I received on my car a couple of days ago, my home address is now in the correct location.

Google must be used somewhere in there as I had an issue with my home address not being correct. I live in a new(ish) house (4yr old) and when I search for it on Google maps, it puts me down the bottom of the same street where I live. I reported it via Google maps a few weeks ago and told them where my address actually was. Lo and behold, in the most recent maps update I received on my car a couple of days ago, my home address is now in the correct location.
Thanks, I've just done this. Will keep my fingers crossed 🤞

If you find it’s wrong across several platforms you can also update:

HERE Map Creator - 2020 (used by 4 in 5 satnavs)

Between these and TomTom usually does the trick after a few months.

Google and Apple Maps also allow you to report changes: best done from a laptop/desktop.

The biggest issue I have with the maps is rogue speed limit data. It's really concerning when navigating motorway slip roads, or passing them, to cruise control or autopilot suddenly drop to 40 mph or 30 mph. The limit only seems to exist for a hundred metres or so, and then returns to 70.

The biggest issue I have with the maps is rogue speed limit data. It's really concerning when navigating motorway slip roads, or passing them, to cruise control or autopilot suddenly drop to 40 mph or 30 mph. The limit only seems to exist for a hundred metres or so, and then returns to 70.
I don't think these are speed limit changes but an Autopilot glitch. It's designed to slow down to match the speed that other drivers have taken on the slip road or junction.

I'm not sure exactly where it comes from, but the posted speed limit (in red/white) momentarily drops, along with the TACC limit (blue). If you're in traffic, it's similarly alarming, but not quite as severe, as phantom braking.

The M6/M6 toll junction heading west is a good example.

Nav updates are very rare events. Sometimes they even get pulled and revert back to previous years. In the two years that we have had the car, I think we have had 4 nav updates. iirc One when car was new to a 6 month old 2019 version, one to 2020 version, that was pulled reverted to a 2019 version, then this year to 2021 version. So the reality, just the 1 step forward in 2 years. So don't hold your breadth waiting for changes to propagate through. More likely is change to the cars behaviour of existing map data.

The other issue I have noticed is that every so often the voice Nav instructions call out the wrong roundabout exit. When it happens it’s always one less than it should be, even though the guidance on the map itself is correct. Definitely weird. Has anyone else noticed this?

The other issue I have noticed is that every so often the voice Nav instructions call out the wrong roundabout exit. When it happens it’s always one less than it should be, even though the guidance on the map itself is correct. Definitely weird. Has anyone else noticed this?
Long standing problem! Sometimes I wonder if it thinks you are going round the roundabout anti-clockwise!

It's not TomTom or Here, Tesla use Mapbox for the routing logic.
Elon should not only use TomTom for speed limits and Mapbox for routing. TomTom has the full stack, HD Maps and layers have and global coverage (US, Europe, etc.) of HD Map highways…… If I was Tesla I should buy TomTom before MSFT, Qualcomm, Huawei, Nvidia, Verizon or Intel will buy TomTom. A lot of OEM’s are using TomTom already for their EV/AV models. Stellantis (FCA and PSA) is using TomTom for level 3+ for all their EV connected cars with ADAS.

Elon should not only use TomTom for speed limits and Mapbox for routing. TomTom has the full stack, HD Maps and layers have and global coverage (US, Europe, etc.) of HD Map highways…… If I was Tesla I should buy TomTom before MSFT, Qualcomm, Huawei, Nvidia, Verizon or Intel will buy TomTom. A lot of OEM’s are using TomTom already for their EV/AV models. Stellantis (FCA and PSA) is using TomTom for level 3+ for all their EV connected cars with ADAS.
Why would Tesla want to own a mapping company and then sell that data to other car manufacturers? Why would they want to own their own mapping company and have all that expense to use it in their own cars? Specifically their model doesn't need special mapping data for autonomy. Stellantis don't have L3+ autonomy.

I assume if Tesla feel that speed limit data needs to be updated they already have a worldwide fleet of cars that could collect it all in no time at all by recognizing speed signs.