Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Front driver's side door no longer latching.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I know other threads have been posted about this issue, but I need to see if new solutions have arisen. I received my MX last Thursday, and yesterday the from driver's side door stopped latching properly. It took less than a week for my first hardware problem. I contacted service and they said they are ordering a new latch and it should be here in less than a week. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had a temporary solution.

I have tried the scroll wheel reset with slow manual opening and closing. I have used a screwdriver to manually push the latch into a latched position, then manually closed the door. When the problem first starting occurring, I could get the screwdriver technique to force it to latch and suck in the door about 50% of the time. Now, less than 24 hours later, the door will not suck in at all, no matter what I try. Please help if you have solutions.

So far since my MX was delivered, I have found chipped glass on the panel between the trunk and the FWDs, torn leather on the middle row seat, a windshield that has such bad ghosting that I see 3-4 dancing images of headlights, and now a door that doesn't work. Service has said all the problems except the ghosting will be fixed once the parts come in, so I give them credit for that; the SC wants to see an example of the ghosting I am having, but as I posted in another thread, my camera is doing a poor job of capturing the issue.

I am not red with rage yet because the MX is such an amazing car to drive, and most of my problems are cosmetic and can be fixed relatively easy. But now with the door problem, I am becoming less patient. I want to be happy about this, so if anyone has a suggestion for the door, please offer!

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I know other threads have been posted about this issue, but I need to see if new solutions have arisen. I received my MX last Thursday, and yesterday the from driver's side door stopped latching properly. It took less than a week for my first hardware problem. I contacted service and they said they are ordering a new latch and it should be here in less than a week. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had a temporary solution.

I have tried the scroll wheel reset with slow manual opening and closing. I have used a screwdriver to manually push the latch into a latched position, then manually closed the door. When the problem first starting occurring, I could get the screwdriver technique to force it to latch and suck in the door about 50% of the time. Now, less than 24 hours later, the door will not suck in at all, no matter what I try. Please help if you have solutions.

So far since my MX was delivered, I have found chipped glass on the panel between the trunk and the FWDs, torn leather on the middle row seat, a windshield that has such bad ghosting that I see 3-4 dancing images of headlights, and now a door that doesn't work. Service has said all the problems except the ghosting will be fixed once the parts come in, so I give them credit for that; the SC wants to see an example of the ghosting I am having, but as I posted in another thread, my camera is doing a poor job of capturing the issue.

I am not red with rage yet because the MX is such an amazing car to drive, and most of my problems are cosmetic and can be fixed relatively easy. But now with the door problem, I am becoming less patient. I want to be happy about this, so if anyone has a suggestion for the door, please offer!

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about the latch. I find it a bit weird that your SC asked you for photos of the ghosting since its the same ghosting in every case. I was also told they had a problem with ghosting on the model s back in 2013 but was later corrected so I have my hope up that we will find a solution to it soon.

when this happened to me what I would do is open the door with the manual pull handle. then i would close the door using the touchscreen. most of the time the door would slam shut and not latch and then i would press the touchscreen 2 or 3 more times and sometimes it would suck in from there. if it didn't work after touching the touchscreen 3 times i would pull the handle manually and start over again. would usually take me about 5 tries every time i needed to close the door.

thankfully in my case it was the passenger door that wouldn't latch so i would usually make people sit in the back.

Sorry to hear about the latch. I find it a bit weird that your SC asked you for photos of the ghosting since its the same ghosting in every case. I was also told they had a problem with ghosting on the model s back in 2013 but was later corrected so I have my hope up that we will find a solution to it soon.
Yeah, I'm going to get my DSLR to take pictures of the ghosting. Hopefully that works.

when this happened to me what I would do is open the door with the manual pull handle. then i would close the door using the touchscreen. most of the time the door would slam shut and not latch and then i would press the touchscreen 2 or 3 more times and sometimes it would suck in from there. if it didn't work after touching the touchscreen 3 times i would pull the handle manually and start over again. would usually take me about 5 tries every time i needed to close the door.

thankfully in my case it was the passenger door that wouldn't latch so i would usually make people sit in the back.
Thanks, I'll try that out.