Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! FSD ON A LEASED CAR??? GOOD IDEA OR BAD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is arriving (supposedly) by the end of the year. I'm doing a two-year lease and paying "retail" for the full-self drive. Now Tesla has announced that they will start doing FSD by "subscription" starting early next year. My question: On a lease, should I wait for it? (I ordered when it was $7,000)...should I cancel it and hope the subscription comes out soon and is cheaper than that over my 2-year lease? I should also add that I would not get the car without FSD. Anyone got any sage (or even un-sage) advice for me???? Thanks.

As long as you include FSD in your "purchase" so that it is in the lease that would be your best deal. (Especially since you ordered when it was $3k cheaper.) In other words, don't add FSD after the lease to get credit card points or something, that would be a big waste.

They have said that the subscription, which will come sometime next year, will cost more than how much FSD would cost as part of a loan/lease.

Reactions: Pkmmte
you are going to pay $7k to use FSD for 2 years basically, which turns out to almost $300 a month. I really doubt the subscription would cost more than that.

No, you won't. You only pay the portion that is part of your lease payment, and not part that is included in the residual value. For example on a Model Y right now FSD adds $133/month to the lease payment on a 36-month lease. ($4,788 or ~48% of the cost of buying FSD.)

They don't currently offer a 2-year lease on the Model 3 or Y.

It's a novelty...100%. Regular free Auto Pilot is all most folks need. PS - I have FSD on my Model 3 and had it on my X. However, I bought my Model 3 from a private seller who purchased it. If I bought new, not a chance I'd buy it.