Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Get A Supercharger in Binghamton, NY – Minimal Action Requested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great work, Andy! Now we need to do the same in Erie and Hornell, and State College and Carlisle/Harrisburg down here in PA!

Binghamton would be quite useful for me (it would make trips to Scranton less harrowing). Even if it isn't Erie (which is the key, crucial charging gap on I-90 -- there's nothing, not even low-speed charging -- I concluded that it's impossible to go west from upstate NY in winter without going through Canada). As far as I am concerned Tesla is not serious about Supercharger deployment until they get something in Erie.

OK, I had previously emailed Tesla asking for the Binghamton Diner location, and last week emailed them again asking when they were going to get us in Binghamton. The Tesla website currently says, "coming soon". This is excerpted from Tesla's reply to me:

"Thank you for your email and feedback. Our Site Developers are continually looking for locations that enable popular long distance routes and give our customers a great experience and we are actively scouting locations near Binghamton. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S. If you have specific property suggestions along Rte. 17, please submit the information directly to our Developer Team here. We use precise energy modeling to determine areas that are candidates for Superchargers and will reach out to you or the property owner via email if the site fits well with our route plan."

Part form letter, but clearly personalized (see the route 17 reference) to reflect they have been working on it. If anyone has any good ideas for them, a property owner someplace that works, please forward to them. Something must have gone wrong with the diner idea.

My middle kid starts school at Syracuse in the fall, and I'd love to avoid the thruway/Albany Supercharger to go to Syracuse directly up route 17!

OK, I had previously emailed Tesla asking for the Binghamton Diner location, and last week emailed them again asking when they were going to get us in Binghamton. The Tesla website currently says, "coming soon". This is excerpted from Tesla's reply to me:

"Thank you for your email and feedback. Our Site Developers are continually looking for locations that enable popular long distance routes and give our customers a great experience and we are actively scouting locations near Binghamton. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S. If you have specific property suggestions along Rte. 17, please submit the information directly to our Developer Team here. We use precise energy modeling to determine areas that are candidates for Superchargers and will reach out to you or the property owner via email if the site fits well with our route plan."

Part form letter, but clearly personalized (see the route 17 reference) to reflect they have been working on it. If anyone has any good ideas for them, a property owner someplace that works, please forward to them. Something must have gone wrong with the diner idea.

My middle kid starts school at Syracuse in the fall, and I'd love to avoid the thruway/Albany Supercharger to go to Syracuse directly up route 17!

I wouldn't read too much into that Route 17 reference. I don't think that means "The Spot" has fallen through. I think it either means nothing, or it actually could mean "The Spot" is getting closer to being the Binghamton Supercharger location. Here's why.

Let's take a look at the response Genedr received in the thread I referred to in the first post in this thread. He received a very similar response to the one you received:

"If you have specific property suggestions along route 17 or Interstates 81, 86, and 88, please submit the information directly to our Developer Team here*. We use precise energy modeling to determine areas that are candidates for Superchargers and will reach out to you or the property owner via email if the site fits well with our route plan."

Note that in that response, several highways are listed. That was before "The Spot" had been suggested. If Binghamton was truly back to square one, why not ask for suggestions along all four of those highways again? "The Spot" is actually close to 81 and 88. (I believe 17 is being renamed 86 in parts.) If anything, taken together with the earlier response, the response just sent would imply that "The Spot" is still under consideration or even close to being finalized as a location, since they are no longer seeking recommendations near 81 or 88.

Or it could just be that whomever it is that sends the form response has to plug in at least one highway that runs through the proposed city, but sometimes plugs in more than one, and it just so happens, randomly, that the person who responded to Genedr plugged in several highways, and the person that responded to you plugged in only one, and that I'm now being overly and ridiculously optimistic in my attempt to read into that. But either way, I don't think there is any reason to take the response to mean that "The Spot" is no longer under consideration.

Last edited:
Tesla definitely wants a nearby location, first had it on the map as a site to be done by then end of 2014, and now as a "coming soon' site, so it is definitely their list. Do you have a contact name at the Spot Diner I could reach out to, in order to see whether Tesla has spoken with them lately? Seems crazy, but it sounds like this may need some Tesla driver help to get it over the finish line.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, you have a loaded P85D! COOL! I have a green P85, 36,XXX.

Tesla definitely wants a nearby location, first had it on the map as a site to be done by then end of 2014, and now as a "coming soon' site, so it is definitely their list. Do you have a contact name at the Spot Diner I could reach out to, in order to see whether Tesla has spoken with them lately? Seems crazy, but it sounds like this may need some Tesla driver help to get it over the finish line.

I think we should trust the Supercharger team to do their jobs, and not get involved with something that may be pretty far along, that we could only mess up. We're all curious, but you know the old saying about curiosity and the cat.

This type of group effort is why I started the ChargeNY.com forums, as it's much easier to interface with a business and/or government representative when we combine all our efforts. (the site just focuses on NY). Getting people being interested in being part of this has been the difficult part for sure, but then I see threads like these, which gives me a glimmer of hope.

FWIW, I organized the National Drive Electric Week the last 2 years, so I'm serious about trying to make a difference :)

Hi All -

I actually grew up near Binghamton and know the area well, and agree that it's a no-brainer for a SC (on the original SC map they seemed to locate it near to Ithaca, but Binghamton is where 3 Interstates meet). I travel upstate at least once a month, and for now i've relied on the fantastic people of ScotTech for their free 80Amp HPWC. An SC anywhere would be great, and The Spot is a nice place - but some other options to consider and pump up to the SC team are:

- Wegmans, 650 Harry L Drive Johnson City, NY 13790 (607) 729-7782
Wegmans is a 24-hour high-end supermarket that offers grocery, food, prepared food, cafe, internet, pharmacy. This location is just off of Interstate 86, and just a few miles from Interstate's 81 & 88. They have plenty of parking and there is a shopping mall located just across the street.

- Binghamton Plaza, 33 West State Street, Binghamton, NY
Location is perfect (easy access from all the Interstates), there are locally-owned stores and restaurants, a McDonalds, Kmart (for that road trip impulse buy of towels...) but this area is a brownfield site from a former dump in the 50s, built a shopping plaza on it in the 60s. I think it may have flooded in the past, but the state is doing major work in this area to ease that. I imagine they'd welcome Tesla with open arms here and the fees would be minimal.

- SUNY Broome, 907 Upper Front Street, Binghamton, NY 13905
A convenient location where Interstate 81 & 88 meet, and just a few miles north of I86 (Rt.17), with tons of parking and i imagine a progressive-thinking administration. There is the ubiquitous Starbucks, as well as Cracker Barrel and some locally-owned restaurants within a short walk on sidewalks. This location is 2 miles south of The Spot.

Again, i think The Spot is a fine idea as well - just thought i'd throw out some other options so that the SC team feels the area is rife with possibility!

I just heard from a member of the SC team that they've selected a site near the I-81 & I-88 interchange in Binghamton and are in the final design stage, and hope to "open the site within the next few months". Maybe this is The Spot, or perhaps closer to SUNY Broome, but either way it'll be great when it's open!

There has been no further news all summer about MatureinNYC's report that we are several months away on Binghamton. I just contacted the superchargers tesla email address again requesting Binghamton. Everyone, please let's pester them with emails so they take this seriously and prioritize it!

There has been no further news all summer about MatureinNYC's report that we are several months away on Binghamton. I just contacted the superchargers tesla email address again requesting Binghamton. Everyone, please let's pester them with emails so they take this seriously and prioritize it!

I'm not sure "pestering them with emails" is the answer.

If MatureinNYC's info is correct that they have selected a site and are in the final design stage (see upthread, and below for convenience) then our pestering them isn't going to accomplish anything positive, and may just annoy them. The timeline given in MatureNYC's post, made at the beginning of July was "the next few months." Personally, I'm willing to be patient a while longer.

I just heard from a member of the SC team that they've selected a site near the I-81 & I-88 interchange in Binghamton and are in the final design stage, and hope to "open the site within the next few months". Maybe this is The Spot, or perhaps closer to SUNY Broome, but either way it'll be great when it's open!

No downside to the squeaky wheel approach, especially since tesla is hardly immune to shifting priorities, as past experience has shown.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and sometimes it just gets changed.

If Tesla has already selected the site, and is in the final design stage, I just don't see how annoying them with multiple e-mail messages will accomplish anything good.

Guys, I just got this email from Tesla this morning!!!
"We are excited to share that we have chosen a location in Binghamton and we are approaching the construction phase of our deployment process. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can."
I can rest now -- they appear committed to Binghamton.
Let the games begin as to guessing which location they have chosen....