Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help getting EV Chargers listed on Airbnb and VRBO/HomeAway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Tesla owner who loves to travel AND a vacation rental owner with the only EV charger in the area, I notice that there is no easy way to find vacation rentals with chargers. So I contacted both Airbnb and HomeAway in May of 2019 and requested that they add a category of amenities for EV Chargers.
  • Airbnb thanked me for the input, suggested I mention it in the description, and re-submit my feedback at https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback.
  • HomeAway sent me a super brief message on Facebook Messenger that they would forward it to their product team.
Nothing has happened since, and I have no idea what level of priority this has been given. I don't think these companies realize how important it is for EV owners' trip planning.

Can some of you please do what I did and contact these companies and request to list "EV Charger" as an amenity?

Thanks!

As a Tesla owner who loves to travel AND a vacation rental owner with the only EV charger in the area, I notice that there is no easy way to find vacation rentals with chargers. So I contacted both Airbnb and HomeAway in May of 2019 and requested that they add a category of amenities for EV Chargers.
  • Airbnb thanked me for the input, suggested I mention it in the description, and re-submit my feedback at https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback.
  • HomeAway sent me a super brief message on Facebook Messenger that they would forward it to their product team.
Nothing has happened since, and I have no idea what level of priority this has been given. I don't think these companies realize how important it is for EV owners' trip planning.

Can some of you please do what I did and contact these companies and request to list "EV Charger" as an amenity?

Thanks!

I am traveling to a sparsely populated area and using Airbnb for accomodations
On Plugshare I found a home charger listed nearby, couple emails and I found the two are 2 doors apart.

There are a lot of crappy people in the world, I think on the surface making it a searchable amenity is a great idea, but I also think you are going to have people get screwed when people list nearby charging they don't own and the charger owner gets fed up or it is overwhelmed.

I may not be remembering correctly, but I thought Airbnb used to have it as an amenity and removed it. There was a tussle over Tesla first offering Destination Charging financial support to Airbnb owners, then realizing that was a bad idea and changing the policy.

Someone who cares more could probably do some searches...

In June of 2016 I sent an email to Airbnb and VRBO suggesting they add a search item that would allow me to find homes with outlets for EV’s. They both responded by thanking me for the suggestion and promised to forward it to the proper department. I assume their inter-departmental email is pretty slow. :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: HG Wells
There is also this thread on airbnb.
Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging? Why is this not a ... - Airbnb Community
Please forward the link to this tesla thread as well as this thread when making suggestions to airbnb and homeaway. Someday they will add it. It is such a glaring omission, and somewhat odd that its not there already as it way more important than many of the amenities that you can search. Airbnb and Homeaway want you to believe they are progressive and forward thinking, as in many ways they are, but whats up with this omission...

Reactions: IchDochNicht