Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help!!! Girlfriend is on the road in #410 and gets Charging Aborted: Service Required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2018
San Rafael, CA
She needs to top off the battery a bit to make it home. Any suggestions?

She's currently in Sunnyvale heading North.

Attachments

• IMG_5080.JPEG
    IMG_5080.JPEG
    461.1 KB · Views: 174
I would say have her drive to Fremont service and take a Lyft or something home.
Switching to range mode might get a few more miles. Maybe to San Rafael service also. (Is that the destination?)
Hypermiles? Stay under 40 MPH.
With my 2.x I had this error. It was a fuse in the PEM that was easy to replace. But my understanding of the 1.x Roadster charging is more complex.

Thanks for all your help and support on this! We got a tow home last night. When we got home it started charging on 110V but then stopped after about 20 minutes with the same 1425 fault. The coolant pump is running. A can hear it and see the coolant circulating in the overflow reservoir. So it's probably something else. I contacted Carl Medlock and he responded right away and was super helpful in helping getting the car home safely. I'll see if I can get it to charge a little bit more today and then will probably have it shipped to Carl. Let me know if you have any other ideas on what this could be cause by. Thanks!

It's interesting that id:1425 displayed a different message compared to what I have seen on my 1.5. But a new water pump took care of it and I have not had the message again.
The pump is readily available, manufactured by Bosch, and typically used for air/water intercooler applications. Replacement is pretty straightforward: remove the right rear wheel, fender liner, and it is simply sitting between the tire and passenger door. It's not secured, it just lays in preformed foam. Disconnect the electrical connector and the hose clamps then replace in reverse order. Napa is the only place I have been able to find propylene glycol coolant to top off what is lost during replacement.

Attachments

• 20200829_134647.jpg
    20200829_134647.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 81
Low coolant can cause that fault also. Make sure it is full with no air bubbles. When air gets in the pump the current goes down as the coolant aerates. When it foams it expands and the level goes up. Check it with the pump off after about 10 mins.

A new pump would probably cost less than the transport cost to Carl. Its a pretty simple repair.

Yes, it is the pump after all. I was standing right next to the car while it was charging when the pump suddenly stopped and error message popped up on the display. I figured it probably a dirty contact, so I opened it up and put some dielectric grease on the contacts. It's been working fine since. Tested charging on 110V and 220V. Only thing I noticed is that the pump gets real hot. At least 140F while the coolant hoses are nice and cold to the touch. I'll replace it and see if the new pump runs cooler.

If it happened with me I would Suggest my girlfriend to go to the nearest Tesla Supercharger at 298 W McKinley Ave, Sunnyvale, CA. It has a 4.5 star rating on Google Maps and is open 24 hours a day.Since her car is low on battery, a Tesla Supercharger is a good option as it can charge the car quickly.
Roadsters can't use superchargers. Only AC charging is supported.