Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Green All Of Washington State's Highways In 90 Days!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some great news! after pressing the charging station manufacturer (and Nissan and Tesla), a fix has been announced which will allow all EV’s to charge from the 80A (100A nominal) version of the charging station, allowing every make and model (including Tesla Roadsters and Nissan Leaf’s!) to charge at their maximum rate!! I have been arguing all along that having one main type of charging station to focus on will help reduce confusion and magnify support for this project. Help prove me right! :~)

As a result, Sun Country has decided to extend the fund raising deadline for phase 1 to September 30th. After September 30th contributions will still be accepted, but they will go to phase 2 as the main focus switches to the location and installation of phase 1 stations.

The other exciting news, is that Kent and Jack tell me that about $25K has been received, which is very close to what has been pledged so far, all in a matter of weeks! More is coming in each day. Contributions have come in from as far away as Canada, North Carolina and Oregon. It’s exciting to see support from other states and even other countries toward this groundbreaking project to rapidly deploy a free charging network across Washington state, with the intent of spreading it across the country.

So, if you would like to contribute to phase 1 of this project, you still have a chance. The more units that can be purchased for phase 1, the greater the overall momentum will be for completing the whole state. The half way point towards the goal for phase one has almost been reached. So please give what you can whether it’s a large lump sum, a single station or any other amount, everything helps! As one contributor said “The government is not going to provide the infrastructure needed to make EV’s truly practical for the mass market.” I truly believe it is up to us to make this happen and I think we can, but only if enough of us see the vision and contribute.

Please spread the word. To sponsor a high powered charging station ($1,999) you can do so directly through Sun Country Highway (http://suncountryhighway.com/chargers/sponsor-a-charger/). If you require charitable tax status for your contribution, contact me for details. I can also tell you how to sponsor part of a charging station. Also note, if a lower amperage, less expensive unit is required for install at a site, rest assured that all remaining funds will be put toward additional charging station equipment.

Last edited:
The other exciting news, is that Kent and Jack tell me that about $25K has been received, which is very close to what has been pledged so far, all in a matter of weeks! More is coming in each day. Contributions have come in from as far away as Canada, North Carolina and Oregon. It’s exciting to see support from other states and even other countries toward this groundbreaking project to rapidly deploy a free charging network across Washington state, with the intent of spreading it across the country.

Don't forget Texas:smile: Congrats on pulling this all together.

I'm curious exactly what determines if a charger is Phase 1 or Phase 2? Is it just the expected installation/operation date? (ie: Phase 1 chargers will be installed/operational this year, Phase 2 chargers early next year)

Have all the locations been chosen or do you wait and see how many sponsorships you receive before selecting them?

I'm curious exactly what determines if a charger is Phase 1 or Phase 2? Is it just the expected installation/operation date? (ie: Phase 1 chargers will be installed/operational this year, Phase 2 chargers early next year)

Have all the locations been chosen or do you wait and see how many sponsorships you receive before selecting them?

Sorry for the slow reply, was out of town a lot in September. the position of stations for phase 1 will be determined by Kent Rathwell, founder of Sun Country Highway, based on how many we received funding for by the deadline. Jack from PINCW will be giving us a final count of money's received for SCH, giving a little extra time for the mail service to do it's thing. My family has decided, in addition to volunteering thus far, to contribute a charger as well as host one at our house. It will be up on plugshare and the SCH web site as soon as I send it in for the fix for the 70/80A convertible fix so that it's compatible with the Roadster and Nissan Leaf. SCH will likely hold off on additional active fund raising until there are stations in the ground, figuring that should help boost confidence in the project. Thank you to all who have contributed so far! If in the mean time you are inspired, you can always use the SCH web site to contribute: http://suncountryhighway.com/chargers/sponsor-a-charger/

If you have already sent in a check to PINCW but did not designate it to SCH, please send me a PM and I will assure it goes to the larger state-wide project.

No problem, 100thMonkey. I was just curious as to how the charger rollout works (location selection, activation timeline, etc).

SCH has also launched a province-by-province charger sponsorship program up here in Canada similar to the one done in Washington (I donated the first charger for Manitoba).

Did Kent mentioned any details about that program to you? I have some questions and he's understandably been run pretty ragged this month.

No problem, 100thMonkey. I was just curious as to how the charger rollout works (location selection, activation timeline, etc).

SCH has also launched a province-by-province charger sponsorship program up here in Canada similar to the one done in Washington (I donated the first charger for Manitoba).

Did Kent mentioned any details about that program to you? I have some questions and he's understandably been run pretty ragged this month.

I am way behind on a bunch of stuff, but will be trying to put a list of all the PM questions I have recieved and anything stated in this thread together and go over it with Kent on the nest call. He's running something like 3 companies right now and gets buried in emails on a regular basis.

to follow up on the fundraising, Sun Country has received a little over $25K, enough for about 12, 80A stations in WA state!! Thank you to all who contributed! It's not enough to do the whole state in 90 days but it's a great start and will significantly augment the existing charging network. Sun Country is devoting a paid employee to move forward with location and installation process for WA state. It is likely that there will be progress to report on the installs before the end of the year. After the first phase is installed, there will be an additional fund raising push for round two, probably in the spring. If you wish to contribute between now and the next fund drive, please do so here: http://suncountryhighway.com/chargers/sponsor-a-charger/

A special thanks goes to PINCW (Jack Anderson in particular) for their generous partnership for this phase of the project!

Some new progress is under way with this project. Below is an update from Sun Country:

Dear Washington Supporters,

My name is Trent Van Dyke. I am the Regional Director for Sun Country Highway. I work directly with Kent Rathwell and Christopher Misch.

I have recently relocated to the northwest to oversee the strategic growth of Sun Country Highway in Washington, Oregon, and California. I am diligently working with commercial property owners on three major corridors all over the west coast. I have been working in Washington state for the past four months. We currently have 16 locations, from the Oregon border to Seattle to Spokane, that are working through the install quote process. The sponsored stations are being offered to most of these properties. In addition to the 16, we also have 12 more locations that have NOT been offered the sponsored chargers but are moving forward in the install quote process.

As most of you know, this isn't just a hardware purchase for the property owner. There are a wealth of objections and concerns that have to be alleviated prior to the install of a charging station. Install costs, "giving away power" at the property owners expense, security, and ROI questions are all part of the sales process. These concerns have to be overcome prior to getting the chargers installed. I wish that everyone we worked with were innovators of this technology, but they're not. Furthermore we can't afford to pass these folks up due to the strategic locations of their properties. Keeping that in mind, this creates a longer process to get these installed at these locations. As a result, we have created tools to legitimately overcome these concerns and considerably shorten the sales process. The end goal ultimately is to have another charger on the map and another opportunity for EV owners to feel comfortable on Washington's roads.

I see great promise for getting Washington's highways completed this year. If you have any leads or preferred areas that you feel I should take a look at please don't hesitate to communicate that to me. I will be delivering George Whiteside an update every 30 days until we meet our goals in Washington state. On behalf of Kent Rathwell and myself, we want to thank you for your continued support.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Trent Van Dyke
Regional Director
Sun Country Highway
5835 Mountain Mahogany Ln.
Jackson, WY 83001

[email protected]
www.suncountryhighway.com

I wish SCH would unveil a similar program and commitment to completion up here in Canada. There hasn't been much movement in the last 6 months or so.

All of the critical EVSEs I plan to use on my travels that were "pending installation" last year are still "pending installation" this year. And not many new locations have been added, either. This is despite me personally sponsoring two of them.

I can't see how SCH met their goal of greening 90% of Canada's highways by the end of 2013.

Trent sent this update to me last week and I'm just getting to it after being out of town:

George,

We have had a very busy month in Washington state. Below is an update on some of our successes and some of our challenges to date. If you or your network have any contacts with regard to qualified electricians able to give reasonable install quotes, that information will be welcomed.

Progress:

1) We currently have 8 install quotes being worked in Washington state right now. Most of them are within the hospitality industry. I will be able to disclose these sites once we get a thumbs up on the install quotes and the units have been shipped.

2) We are in current talks with an organization that is interested in installing one 100 amp - and one 60 amp charger at 34 different locations within Washington state. We are in the infant stages of this transaction, however, everyone involved is moving the ball forward daily. We're quite excited about this potential opportunity. Once again, I'll disclose these locations once we have a commitment in hand.

3) This month we also have had an eight location chain inquiring about installing chargers at their locations. They would offer free charging as their customers shopped.

4) Finally, with the help of George Whiteside and his recent travels through the peninsula, we have a number of new local leads that are being followed up on. More will be revealed on these leads in next months update...

Challenges:

Sun Country Highway is committed to getting Washington's highways greened as soon as possible. We're very excited about the interest we continue to get from our prospective sites in and around Washington state. The one variable that is slowing the process has been our install quotes. They are coming in extremely high. So high that they are becoming the focal point of the negotiation. If there are any qualified electricians that any of you would like to recommend, we would be delighted to reach out and offer some install opportunities to these folks. Please email me directly: [email protected].

Finally, thank you for all the emails last month. I hope I responded to all of them. All of the information I received was extremely helpful in moving forward.

Thank you kindly.... Until next month!!

Kind regards,

Trent Van Dyke
Regional Director
Sun Country Highway
61110 Brookhollow Dr.
Bend, OR 97702

[email protected]
Electric Vehicle (EV) Products and Services | Sun Country Highway

here is the latest from Trent. sounds like a major breakthrough has been made with landing reasonable state wide install contract bids and progress is forthcoming.

Dear Washington EV Community,

I would like to update the Washington supporters on the progress of Sun Country Highway and the Washington State Sponsorship Program. Since the last update we have experienced a number of developments that I would like to share with you now.

We have finally resolved our biggest hurdle in the area. Our install quotes were coming in prohibitively high on all fronts in Washington State. We had a majority of the sponsored stations placed contingent upon the install quotes. Unfortunately the install quotes were coming in triple and quadruple the the national average. We spent the greater part of last sixty days finding new electrical firms. As we have been re-bidding jobs in the Seattle and Tacoma area we finally feel that we found electrical firms that 'get it'. They posses both the experience and forward thinking business sense to harness the vision of the infrastructure that Washington State so badly needs.

With that being said, SCH currently has four locations in the Seattle and Tacoma area that have received their sponsored chargers and they are scheduled to be installed this month. Once the locations have been installed successfully we will release the locations on our Sun Country Highway EV Charger map. (suncountryhighway.com)

Lastly, with our new partnership we are in the process of re-bidding a few dozen locations. I truly believe we have made headway on the backend of the industry, the legwork has been done to have strategic electrical partners that are offering install incentives to everyone of our potential supporters in order to be a part of our passionate movement together.

We have a continued goal to have Washington States Highways Greened in 2014. Thank you for your continued support and patience.

As always, please email me or contact me directly with and questions, comments, or feedback that may move us forward together.

Kind regard,

Trent Van Dyke
Regional Director
Sun Country Highway
61110 Brookhollow Dr.
Bend, OR 97702

[email protected]
Electric Vehicle (EV) Products and Services | Sun Country Highway