Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: GS, DMC FW, PM Errors: No Shifter Comms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for anyone that can provide some help.

I went out to my roadster this morning and was greeted by the following four errors:

1562 VMS: Not receiving GS version number
63: GS: No data fault
1131: DMC FW: Lost Comms with Shifter
1661: PM: Gear Selector Comms Warning

The 5 of 5 is the Service reminder which the Sunnyvale service center forgot to reset last month. The sets to reset that would be awesome to know too.

I unplugged the VMS connectors to reboot it, but the same error messages came up. I checked the fuse box, just in case, all fuses were good. Any advice is welcome.

Backstory: I had the R gear selector button replaced in December 2017 per recommendation from the service center:

Concern: Customer states a " Rear LED alert" came on.

Corrections: No Correction Code Added to DealerTrack Correction
Confirmed customers concern. Recommended replacing the switch push button per
recommendation. Verified proper operation.
Corrections: Gear Selector Button - Roadster 2.x
Replaced the switch push button per recommendation. Verified proper operation.

SWITCH, PUSH BUTTON, R, ROADSTER 2
(6003350)

PCBA,TESTED,PB GEAR SEL,w/CURR LIM
SEL D (6004192)

Attachments

• IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3919.JPG
    IMG_3919.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3917.JPG
    IMG_3917.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 51
My first reaction would be to check the connections on the gear shift PCB. Maybe they didn't connect something tight enough when they replaced your R button.

Thanks, what's the easiest way to do that?

I see 6 3/16 silver allen screws holding the phone dock and panel underneath the gear shifter on. I took those out but I can't get the underneath panel to move, it just wiggles. There is a center screw in the underneath panel that has an orange plastic piece over it to prevent removal.

I did find the white connector to the LCD display, but nothing going to the gear shifter yet.

I went out to my roadster this morning and was greeted by the following four errors:

1562 VMS: Not receiving GS version number
63: GS: No data fault
1131: DMC FW: Lost Comms with Shifter
1661: PM: Gear Selector Comms Warning
Those four errors are both the VMS and DMC in the PEM pointing to a problem with the GS (Gear Selector).

Since you already checked the fuses and found no problems. There might be another fuse inside the center console that's part of the Power Share Adapter Cable. It's a 2A fuse that supplies the GS and ODBII 12V power. Here's a picture of that adapter. It's located at the forward end of the center console by the footwells and tucked inside the opening.

Most of the early Roadsters had the adapter installed to resolve a contactor power problem where the contactors weren't receiving enough power to close.

Bizarre, my Roadster was fine yesterday, did a long run, parked it and today I went to move it and its got a gearbox error and communications error. All the gear selector lights are on red. Called Tesla and they are figuring out how to tow it in from home.

Attachments

• 11E48C15-A5C6-4D22-8C16-700AEBB8C4ED.jpeg
    11E48C15-A5C6-4D22-8C16-700AEBB8C4ED.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 9167B519-C0EE-4563-BE06-CB6DF6A184BB.jpeg
    9167B519-C0EE-4563-BE06-CB6DF6A184BB.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 57
Bizarre, my Roadster was fine yesterday, did a long run, parked it and today I went to move it and its got a gearbox error and communications error.
Your Roadster is having a problem talking to the PEM, error ID 56. You can check the 12V input to the PEM for 12V to ensure the PEM is at least getting power. That's also the reason why you're seeing the errors 1558 and 1562 as the TCM and GS are on the PEM CAN bus.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
Your Roadster is having a problem talking to the PEM, error ID 56. You can check the 12V input to the PEM for 12V to ensure the PEM is at least getting power. That's also the reason why you're seeing the errors 1558 and 1562 as the TCM and GS are on the PEM CAN bus.

Thanks for the info! Reconditioned PEM is still under warranty, so Tesla are working on fixing it...

Reactions: petergrub