Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - has this happened to any other Model X owner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you using the easy exit mode of the car itself, or are you using a a custom setting that you named easy exit (like people did before the easy exit mode)?

I don't understand how the car would even let you put it into drive with it being in the easy exit mode.

Normally the unintended acceleration is because the throttle gets inadvertently pushed (either by pushing the wrong pedal or carpet hitting it).

In this case it seems like it was also inadvertently put into drive.

This seems pretty suspicious to me.

For one, the car physically can't accelerate (much) when in "park". Even a dual motor P100D has trouble fighting the parking brake calipers in testing. There are no parking calipers on the front wheels, however, so the front motor can drag the rear, again in testing with individually controlled motors using external hardware... this isn't really possible in a normal vehicle. So, given the damage in the photos, the vehicle clearly wasn't in park when it was damaged. It wouldn't have had the torque to accelerate significantly even if somehow it were able to fight against the parking brake calipers.

Next... the car wasn't "hacked". Tooting my own horn here a bit, but even if I were a nefarious actor and were so inclined to give it a go, I'd have a very difficult time causing something like this to happen... especially to some random person's vehicle for no real reason. First, it's definitely not possible with software alone. Even will full remote access to a car, this just isn't possible. There would need to be hardware installed on the accelerator pedal path, at a minimum, combined with software hacks. Overall, there's not many, if any, people with the knowledge and skills about the hardware and software to be able to accomplish this outside of Tesla's own engineering teams... and even then, I'd doubt any single actor could pull it off even with physical access to the inside of the car. Overall, the idea of it being hacked can just be Occam's razor'd away since there's just far too many assumptions that have to be made to even get close to the possibility of this being the actual case here.

As I've noted many times, the car can not accelerate fully without driver input. If Tesla says the car was commanded to accelerate to 100%, then it was commanded to accelerate to 100% by a physical press of the accelerator pedal while the car was in drive.

My guess here, assuming this is legit at all, is that the driver stopped the car and was in brake hold mode, not park. Usually, if you pop a door open in hold mode, the car will jump into park after a few seconds, so the driver likely just didn't put the car in park and has probably used this method to exit before. They activated an easy exit profile and proceeded to begin to exit, and in doing so lodged something against the accelerator, probably pushing the carpet forward while leveraging up out of the seat or something. It's honestly, the only logical explanation if in fact it's not a hoax to begin with.

We really just need to accept that Tesla vehicles do not launch all by themselves and start taking responsibility for screw ups.

Last edited:
We had an accident with our Model X. We think the vehicle hacked! Our Tesla started to accelerate 100% from park mode by itself and we were not able to reach the brakes as the vehicle was in easy exit mode. The only way to stop the vehicle from hitting oncoming traffic and pedestrians was to hit barriers, buildings forcing the vehicle to stop. Needless to say the damage to the vehicle and to the roadsigns, buildings on which our vehicle was accelerating was horrendous - the vehicle was virtually a total write off. We are still trying to find out what happened but are clueless as to real cause. Has anyone encountered something similar?
You can push and hold in the button on the gear lever to engage the emergency brake. That would be enough to stop the car even if you can't reach the brake pedal.

My guess here, assuming this is legit at all, is that the driver stopped the car and was in brake hold mode, not park. Usually, if you pop a door open in hold mode, the car will jump into park after a few seconds, so the driver likely just didn't put the car in park and has probably used this method to exit before. They activated an easy exit profile and proceeded to begin to exit, and in doing so lodged something against the accelerator, probably pushing the carpet forward while leveraging up out of the seat or something. It's honestly, the only logical explanation if in fact it's not a hoax to begin with.

This makes the most sense to me. I've gotten too reliant on the brake hold mode as well waiting to pick up passengers and have inadvertently deactivated it by tapping on the brakes a second time. Good thing creep mode is off for my profile, so I can catch it and park it in time. My guess is for this person, creep mode was on, and then it moved forward. They panicked and slammed a pedal. The accelerator pedal.

This makes the most sense to me. I've gotten too reliant on the brake hold mode as well waiting to pick up passengers and have inadvertently deactivated it by tapping on the brakes a second time. Good thing creep mode is off for my profile, so I can catch it and park it in time. My guess is for this person, creep mode was on, and then it moved forward. They panicked and slammed a pedal. The accelerator pedal.

That happened to one other guy. His Father got confused pulling into the garage and launched the son's new Model X into the garage wall. Instant, massive torque is both good and bad.

I had an unintended acceleration event when going around a corner. My foot pressed the accelerator instead of the brake to slow down to make the corner. Luckily I just got the V9 Obstacle-Aware Acceleration firmware installed like a week before then, so nothing happened as the car just sat there. It is so easy to make a mistake thinking the foot is on the brake.

Reactions: mongo
I know you said it was in park....but....I have accidentally hit the cruise control stalk with my knee causing it to engage and quickly accelerate.... it took me a second to comprehend what was happening. I was able to hit the brake causing it to disengage...scary.... wonder if this might have occurred?
Same thing happened to me at a drive’ through. It accelerates so rapidly and it is so scary. My instinct was to break and worrry about what caused it later. Now I always put the car in park.

The driver is 1.68cm (5 feet 6 inches?) tall and the seat belts were locked in, so it was impossible to press the accelerator or the brakes. Tesla wrote us a polite letter where they stated that the accelarator was engaged at 100%, implying that the driver floored the accelerator, with no reference to the fact that the vehicle was in park & easy exit mode.
I didn't think the seat went into easy exit until after the seatbelt was released. My vehicle keeps my seat close to the wheel when I put it into park until I release the seatbelt.

All these incidents are human error, but been human we never want to admit fault, Tesla gets blamed because its new tech, so must be the tech rather than the human.

Incidentally I'm use to left foot braking, and I've had a few 'unintended' barking incidents. Latest one a few days ago, was doing a 3 point turn, reversed but still rolling, road was clear, put it into drive and thought I stamp on the loud pedal for some Tesla grin, instead the car slammed to a halt :).

All these incidents are human error, but been human we never want to admit fault, Tesla gets blamed because its new tech, so must be the tech rather than the human.

Incidentally I'm use to left foot braking, and I've had a few 'unintended' barking incidents. Latest one a few days ago, was doing a 3 point turn, reversed but still rolling, road was clear, put it into drive and thought I stamp on the loud pedal for some Tesla grin, instead the car slammed to a halt :).

They sell shock collars for unintended barking. Should be an easy fix.

• Funny
Reactions: Corbets
I went back and forth, quoted several people to agree and disagree on a couple of things. I want to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Imagine if something did actually happen to any one of us and being met with nothing but critisism. Ultimately, I agree with @wk057. There's mechanicals that are required by DoT that would prevent this. And the more I look into the OP, the more curious I get.

@Tamer Ayaslli, how many people actually use their real and full names when signing up on this board? And of those who do; how many of them are tech savy people? Because you seem to be knowledgeable enough to establish a very wide digital footprint. Just googling your name shows pages of bio information and profiles. But yet..none of them seem to have much substance.

Most I know in the field wouldn't use the term “hacked” just reading @wk057’s post you can see he uses terms like “nefarious actor” and “remotely access”. Big words that makes me roll my eyes and go...so...hacked? Because I’m a moron and don’t work in the field; but your profile indicates your an AI, IoT, Blockchain and other Cyber related risk and insurance expert. So I would think you would be saying things like I think someone remotely overrode my [technical thjngamajig] and logs would be the first thing you jumped all over.

Lastly, there seems to be something else suspicious. You start out by saying "We" indicating that there were multiple people in the car. Or potentially as a family owning the car. But then you move on to say "I" bought and broke "my" heart. And as the post continues, you then eventually refer to "The driver is" which distances you and the driver quite a bit from the orgininal "we" description. Something just feels really odd....

Tamer seemed mostly interested fishing for “anyone who encountered something similar”… didn’t get the response he hoped for and now seems to have left us.

I wondering why someone 5’6” would bother with Easy Entry

I wondering why someone 5’6” would bother with Easy Entry

When our MX was delivered, Easy Entry mode was setup by our DS. Only a few weeks later that I realized both my wife and I are not that tall and Easy Entry was actually a hindrance to driving so I turned it off. Maybe Easy Entry is good for MS... had a loaner and MS is very hard to get into because it is so low.

As for "we"... maybe OP is royalty? I kind of imagine Prince Philip would say, "We did not see the Kia coming."

Lastly, there seems to be something else suspicious. You start out by saying "We" indicating that there were multiple people in the car. Or potentially as a family owning the car. But then you move on to say "I" bought and broke "my" heart. And as the post continues, you then eventually refer to "The driver is" which distances you and the driver quite a bit from the orgininal "we" description. Something just feels really odd....

I think we have to remember that for many people English is not their first languages. And therefore, proper English pronoun usage is not a natural skill.

Reactions: Corbets