Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Horrific battery draining while parked in long term parking structure - I've got 12 days to go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And if the battery gets down to below 20% or so, maybe you can have a friend or family member go drive the car and charge it up a little. Do you know how to remote start to allow someone to drive it without a key?
I have a friend who I can probably ask to take it to a supercharger. It'd be a huge pain in the ass for him but yeah I've thought of that. This really shouldn't be the case though. I shouldn't have to do this. This is causing pure range anxiety, plain and simple. I really hope something's just wrong and out of the norm because I should be able to leave my car, even electric, parked at long term storage and come back after two weeks able to drive home.

BTW I regularly leave my car parked at home unplugged overnight, charging every other day. And every time I see the next day it has lost at most 1%, usually it's the same % where I left it.

Right now I am going to sleep and wake up to find it's lost 2-3% for no reason at all. Only difference is it's parked in a parking structure and not my home.

Ya I've had five Tesla's and none of them were that bad. ONLY if I had sentry mode turned on will it drop like that. I've left the car for a month before in the summer and it didn't lose but a couple percentage points.
See, that's what I've heard others say, and that's what I have observed parking the car at my own house unplugged. This is something different. For some reason the car just won't go into sleep mode.

What do you mean by tessie routines?
The only Tessie routines I had created were for the car to "set climate to 68 at 1pm while GPS location is work", and "stop charging at 3pm at GPS home", neither of which should apply while in a parking structure that is not "home" or "work". I deleted both of them, signed out of the app and changed my password to deauthorize it if they were causing the drain. Will see in two days where I stand.

Maybe it says it is off but it actually is not. I have had this happen a couple times, where the app shows no sentry mode is active but I get to the car and there are sentry events. Just an idea worth trying
I'll try this, I just logged into the app. car was at 62% now. I enabled sentry mode, went to live view and looked through a camera, saw the garage. quit the view and disabled entry mode. Will see if that makes a difference.

Ya I've had five Tesla's and none of them were that bad. ONLY if I had sentry mode turned on will it drop like that. I've left the car for a month before in the summer and it didn't lose but a couple percentage points.
I don't have my car yet so this is the learning process for me
Sound like "sentry mode" is the major finger-pointing mode here?
Pros: do we need to have it on ALL THE TIME for normal use? and WHY? (except turning it off for long terms parking?)
Thanks

I don't have my car yet so this is the learning process for me
Sound like "sentry mode" is the major finger-pointing mode here?
Pros: do we need to have it on ALL THE TIME for normal use? and WHY? (except turning it off for long terms parking?)
Thanks
Ya sentry mode uses a significant amount of battery. It automatically turns off below 20% battery to conserve energy. When I charged at home on a 120V, I would never use Sentry mode. Now that I use a Level 2, I leave it on when not at home. I also make sure I turn it off if leaving the car for more than a couple days or if I know I will be cutting it close getting back home with the battery percentage. It's not an issue, just something to play around with when you get your car.

Cabin overheat protection, sentry mode, summon, and 3rd party apps can keep the car awake and consume additional power. I have found that Sentry mode will consume about 6-7% per day when it's enabled. If it's sentry as someone else said it will be disabled automatically once battery drops to 20%.

You don't need to wait 48 hours. I would wait 4 hours and check back. Car should have gone to sleep. Changing password is a great idea as the 3rd party apps will not be able to wake/keep awake vehicle.

Reactions: Rocky_H
This is really an opportunity for a Tesla feature enhancement that's maybe overdue (much like how "car wash" mode eventually was delivered).

There really ought to simply be a "long term storage" button that puts the car to sleep and minimizes the battery consumption without the owner having to know all of the things to check that might draw power while they are away.

I charge to 100% before going to the airport and then turn off sentry, cabin overhead and summons and it is about 4% / day which is not that bad. Checking the car wakes it up and even during that 30-45 that it is awake, it is drawing quite a bit of power so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy to monitor it. I may check every 3 days minimum.

Reactions: ScottNY
I charge to 100% before going to the airport and then turn off sentry, cabin overhead and summons and it is about 4% / day which is not that bad. Checking the car wakes it up and even during that 30-45 that it is awake, it is drawing quite a bit of power so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy to monitor it. I may check every 3 days minimum.
Thanks. Again I am in the learning process
(1) turn off sentry, cabin overhead and summons : I assume these can be done from the 15" screen?
(2) Checking the car wakes it up : Also, this could be done from the 15" screen or app from your cellphone?

This really shouldn't be the case though. I shouldn't have to do this. [...] I should be able to leave my car, even electric, parked at long term storage and come back after two weeks able to drive home.
Yes, this should absolutely be possible, but...
There really ought to simply be a "long term storage" button that puts the car to sleep and minimizes the battery consumption without the owner having to know all of the things to check that might draw power while they are away.
...this is very true. It's pretty bad that everyone has to rely on the tribal knowledge of this forum to understand the multiple features that are the main causes of keeping the car awake and to go through one by one to turn them off. It is long overdue for Tesla to implement a single button function for this to collectively turn those off for a long term parking mode. I mean they spent development resources on the f#%$ing stupid "Joe Mode" for Pete's sake! This is far more important and useful than that!

Thanks. Again I am in the learning process
(1) turn off sentry, cabin overhead and summons : I assume these can be done from the 15" screen?
(2) Checking the car wakes it up : Also, this could be done from the 15" screen or app from your cellphone?
Sentry and cabin overheat from app or screen and summons from standby from screen. When I got the car a year ago I went through what you did until I got feedback as you have done and now I just clear those settings and I may check the car once but that’s it. Lock and forget it for 3-4 days and I think you will see that you lost a couple % a day and that’s it

Someone else also mentioned Summon which is the only thing you didn't mention in your original post. I mean something is keeping it awake. I am positive you can get down to 1% drain per week if you let it sleep the entire time.

I really wish there was a "Long Term Parking Mode" like "Car Wash Mode" that disabled all the right things (and re-enabled them at the end) to allow long term sleep. I wonder if they could also do something to disable third party app access in such a mode.

Ironic thing about this is almost every single troubleshooting test OP is making makes the problem worse.

Leave the damn car alone. Check back 2 days before you return and figure it out then, if it is. Most likely this won't be a problem.

At the very least, wait at least 4 more days between checks. Every time you check it, it wakes up and drains a bit of battery.

Long Term Parking mode is a great idea. Also a simple list of functions that drain the battery and how much that you can kill individually would be nice, similar to Activity Monitor on a Mac or equivalent on Windows. Maybe that already exists with the new Energy App? (I don’t have my car yet).

This is really an opportunity for a Tesla feature enhancement that's maybe overdue (much like how "car wash" mode eventually was delivered).

L Idea.

Just click "Power Off" button before stepping out of the vehicle. The car will stay off until you come back and put your foot on the brake.

Reactions: wtlloyd